FREE e-book by Deskew - Optimize your Windows PC for the stage!

Another great tips for those that have problem with Firewire interfaces:
Link: Crash Experiences Concerns - #22 by Vindes

Here’s a user that installed a legacy driver and it worked more stable for him: Crash Experiences Concerns - #41 by Phil

Here’s an A/B test from @Hermon regarding the Intel technologies: Optimizing a PC and Windows - #10 by Hermon

Intel Speed StepLINK

1 Like

Here’s a great tip for Dell owners: Optimizing a PC and Windows - #11 by therealgps

1 Like

The guide is now updated to include Windows 11 :slight_smile:
The first post is updated and all corresponding files.

There are a few more tips included.

Enjoy and spread the word if you like it! :beers:

5 Likes

As I understand, this guide shows what to do on Windows so that the machine becomes fast.
What about a guide to show what NOT TO DO on Mac to stay fast :wink:

2 Likes

I think that this is not the right thread to discuss this :slight_smile:

1 Like

The first post is updated and now has 7 tips that are collected in various threads in the Gig Performer Community.

4 Likes

Yes, for those that are interested to see what’s happening in the macOS world here is the macOS optimization guide.

In that thread will be indexed all tips that are presented there and those that I find across our community. There are already two indexed - Simon’s workflow speed-up tip and a High Sierra optimization script that disables many system stuff on a Mac and therefore providing the glitch-free experience.

New tip: Check Bluetooth and USB 3.0 interference.

More info: LINK

2 Likes

New tip: Speeding up Windows library load times.

Link

1 Like

Just to mention Quick CPU here, as well, so it doesn’t get lost.

Link: Another Laptop Spec Question - #10 by Frank1119

1 Like

An interesting tip: Disable the E-Cores in the UEFI/BIOS setup (if available).

→ some tests have shown that tasks which are not in focus and run in background, such as rendering jobs, minimized windows or real-time audio tasks, could end up on the much slower E-Cores. And can lead to audio dropouts and reduced performance.

So what are “E-Cores”? Systems with hybrid-architecture CPUs are utilizing performance cores (P-Cores) and efficiency cores (E-Cores), such as the 12th Gen Intel® Core Alder Lake or newer.

Note: if such an option is not available in UEFI, as a workaround, one can set up the CPU Affinity for an app using the Task Manager or a 3rd party app, such as Process Lasso.

There is some talk on the Internet about reducing the DPC latency by disabling HPET (high precision event timer).

In the Device Manager locate System devices, then right click on High precision event timer and select Disable to stop the HPET service.

While this tip may be good for gaming, I’m not convinced that it will improve audio. If somebody already did this, please let us know (and what are the results) :slight_smile:

Hello, npudar, is there really much indication that E cores cause a problem in Gig Performer (or is DAWs) ? Can you provide links?

Do you have “e-cores”? I don’t have them, otherwise, I’d gladly test it.
Please google more about this tip, I stumble upon them very chaotically (i.e. I visit a dozen of audio-related forums monthly).

The last tip I found is that HAGS should be disabled: Wiki - How To Disable Windows 10 Hardware GPU Scheduler | OBS

Link: Sound in W10 stops working after Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling is activated

Ok, I intel is going that route with most (all?) their new chips. I would “think” it it would help with GP. The GP thread would be highest speed core. And background Windows stuff would be on E cores.

I’ll do some research.

Jeff

Nice video about DPC calls → LINK

1 Like

I just got a Windows PC laptop that has Windows 8.1, Would this guide be fine for optimizing this ?

Yes, give it a go. :slight_smile:

Nice explanation about:

• base frequency
  • max turbo frequency
  • differences between gaming and real time audio settings
  • is it better to keep running on max turbo or push the overclocking.

LINK

1 Like