Hardware Recommendations for a Midi Control Surface for Live Performance with GP3

I looked up Touch OSC… Maybe the little Korg is better for a newbie?

I have a “sound” attached to each of the Numa’s 9 drawbars - 1. = piano & bass, 2. = Rhodes bark, etc.

Using Pianoteq, Kontakt (Scarbee), Ample bass, IK MM Hammond.

I can do cool morphing on the fly.

When drawbars are pulled all the way down, they are not making sound, but I assume those plug-ins are taxing the system, hence the need for on / off buttons (zero Numa buttons have MIDI functionality).

Playing 5 or more notes at a time causes snap crackle pop, even with just one drawbar in use. Works great otherwise. I played with settings, but it didn’t seem to matter (44, 48, 96; 128, 256, etc.).

M1 has 16 gigs Ram.

I know the IK Hammond is CPU intensive (I prefer Blue3 myself) but you have to be able to play more than 5 notes without glitching. There has to be something else going on.

As far as i understand, he plays on all nine plugins at the same time, but only one is hearable (the other eight are only muted but not bypassed!).

This is again a mission for the Plugin Persist Scriptlet :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Yes and no…

It works great as a “chooser” but also (and why I did it) as a “morph.”

So, I can have a Barky Rhodes, a Wah Wurli, and a Jaco bass, all at once!

Using all 9 at the same time would sound pretty “out there.”

Pianoteq does this. That’s where I got the idea.

I’ve "somewhat figured out GP, but coding? WAY over MY head!

Oh - yeah, if you throw a huge number of plugins in a single rackspace and try to play them all, your CPU won’t be able to handle them, particularly any plugin that is really CPU intensive. That’s not really a GP limitation.
You should bypass plugins that you’re not using — muting them does not disable them and so they’ll still use CPU cycles.

We do not expect most users to do any coding. But many of our power users have created ready-to-use scripts to extend Gig Performer’s capabilities and they often graciously publish them for others to use.

2 Likes

I am going to try to implement the CPU suggestions in the manual. I do have two (2) anti-viral programs (MWB & Avira). Why? Because I was recently robbed $7,200, right from my bank account. The bank gave me credit, but it can’t happen again, or they won’t.

I did shut off the Internet; no difference.

A simple email (phishing) is all it took.

In Windows, CTL + ALT + DELETE = task manager and I can shut off programs. Mac? I’ve not learned that yet, save “force quit.” Leaning curve for new OS!

Good to know that I can have those 9 VSTs at hand…

Makes sense … So either an “on / off” (bypass) button or that scripting.

Three (3) is probably the maximum number of VSTs that would morph together for pianoish sounds — and then one bass.

I bypassed 4 of them, leaving 5, and CPU wet down from 90+ to 40 or so and no glitches.

So…

I need bypass buttons, one way or the other!

Anyone using softstep 2? Looks very unique and peeked my interest. On the other hand it’s been out for 8 years… I’d love some feedback!

As @dhj mentioned, no need to code here. The coding is done, you simply can test and use the Scriptlet like any other plugin. That’s a GREAT NEW FEATURE in GP4. And if you have difficulties with any of the Scriptlet freely available from this community forum, their authors are never far away… :wink:

You will eventually need « secured » bypass button, that’s why I proposed the Plugin Persist Scriptlet to you.

May I suggest to you to have a dedicated music computer. I would prefer a music dedicated mid-range computer rather than a multi-purpose high end computer. Please see this excellent guide:

2 Likes

Actually, my new Mac Book Pro is my “dedicated music computer.”

I have been using a Windows machine for eons, and it was from my Windows machine that I access my bank accounts.

But no more.

From now on, my music Mac will be that and bank accounts, as Mac is more secure (or so I’ve heard).

My guess is that the “Plug-in Persist” Scriplet is somewhere to be found here, so off to hunt for it…

I located the “user scripts” area … I don’t see the “Plug-in Persist” script there…

Where can I find it?

Thank you!

Plugin Persist - Orignial.rackspace (201.8 KB)
Try this. This is the rackspace that has the scriplets in it. I think this is what you’re looking for.

I gave you the link above in this topic. But the right category is the Gig and Rackspace Files…

Interesting that you could not find it even knowing where it is… Perhaps we should split the Scriptlets and the other Gig Templates. What do you think @npudar, would it make sense?

I didn’t see it in the scripts location. I still don’t see it there. Thank you for posting it here!

Again, I posted the link above in this topic:

That’s why we have categories :slight_smile:

https://community.gigperformer.com/tag/scriptlet

This lists all gig files/rackspaces with scriptlets :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I know, thank you!

I mean finding it in the scripts list, etc.