Hardware Recommendations for a Midi Control Surface for Live Performance with GP3

David;
Thanks for the post. I really like the text/script identification. ICON is close to what I need for keyboard/piano warrior etc. The ICON is a nice size.

The Berhinger X-touch compact is actually more designed for a keyboard rig like mine. ( But it is still a little large, I would not position it on top of the keyboard)

My master contrler changes ( from time to time) but my “2” – 25 note controllers at 11/2pm don’t. Unfortunately the the “script” feature is missing in the X-Touch compact. David, I’m just getting off the ground w/ GP3.6 but my idea of keeping my hands on the keys ( isn’t changing)

I love the script/text feature. (In ICON) But maybe the features in Midi Fighter Twister are going to be enough? I don’t know yet… I sure like the size of the “MFT” controller. Right now my master 88 is a NORD Grand and the top is only 9.5" deep. ( Not a ton of on top Rel-estate etc.)

Thankls again for your post. It is helping me figure out what the right MIDI “box” to get to keep things following.
All the Best
from dallas TX
KB

I found another picture:

1 Like

I didn’t found a descriptions page of these interesting modules, did you find one ? Do they have LCD or OLED display modules ?

Hi David-San;

Thanks for picture. Those (european) guys are definitely on the right track. On a positive note- I think I found the perfect MIDI-controller for my needs: I actually know the the StudioLogic ( Actuall a division of FATAR) REP for Southern USA and he had one in his sample account. I picked it up yesterday and am on a mission to get it to work w/ GP3. It’s called:
Studiologic SL Mixface Control Surface
Compact MIDI Controller with 8 Knobs, 9 Sliders, and 8 Buttons; (LCD Screen too) Micro USB-to-device, USB-to-host, and Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy Connectivity

I’ll keep everyone informed. It’s bidirectional. It also has a button on it, that throws it into DAW mode immediately. If your in CONTROLLER mode the transport controls still work!
I’ll excited. Very small footprint. Has magnetic strip on bottom, with a “kickstand”, and comes with a non-slip pad. Off to work on it ! PS: It just came out in 2018 so it builds on alot of current technologies.
KB

1 Like

Not much more expensive to consider the Icon Platform M+ (without optional LCD): equivalent form factor with LED buttons and touch sensitive motorized faders (custom mode + compatible with all common DAWs and GP!)

But if you are happy with the Studiologic, it’s OK :wink:

N.B.: I forgot to say that Icon service is at the top (several quick modifications to improve the unit + detailed infos to make the LCD work fine with GP. I own a Studiologic Numa Organ 2 which has some issues and MIDI inconsistencies and it is not the same reactivity… it is not yet sure that they will be able to solve the NO2 problems)

David, thanks. ICON is obviously rugged. When all is said & done the MixFace will probably cost me $165.00… “BUTT” that is meaningless if it is filled with hassels. I buy at GC PRO I get great discounts. “BUTT” that is meaningless if I have to be in “programing hell” instead of piano playing/synths and composing.

And thanks, I just went to the ICON web site and am looking at their 25 note full size midi controllers, those are extremely impressive in specs.

Yes I want to send GP3 the right data the 1st time in performance, and also be able to see an LCD. They have some wonderful boxes, thanks again for the nudge !
KB

1 Like

https://www.makeproaudio.com/mpa-things/
https://www.makeproaudio.com/glue-control-software/
https://www.makeproaudio.com/mpa-tiles/

They haven’t LCD / OLED displays yet but I’ve produced some videos for their DinoPark modelling synth last summer and we talked a lot about this topic (and about endless knobs and LED rings :slight_smile: ) so I hope they consider to add this in the feature.

1 Like

Dear, consider UC-33e, somewhat old but very versatile, with editing software

Thank-You
GagoC

I will definitely look into it!
KB

GagoC;

I forgot to ask you, How do you actually use the Evolution UC-33e in conjunction
with Gig Performer3? Do You?
#1.) Use it in “live” performance? Send PC’s to change racks ? DrawBar stuff for Hammond Organ etc… Sending CC to sweep filters, pans, etc…
#2.) I need a great “live” performance box/tool to keep my head on the music etc…
Thanks
KB

Hi KB, I use it live, to handle DAW, etc …
The good thing is that 127 scenarios can be programmed, each with different parameters. It has shortcuts so with Prg1 I manage the mixer, Prg2 the Hammond X3 organ, Prg3 the Korg Triton, Prg4 to send messages to a Kurzwei, etc…

Sergio;
OK I am starting to understand how you have the Evolution UC-33 set up. Let me ask you just a couple more questions. Are you now using GP 3.6 ? If so:
#1.) Are you organizing your live music & the handling of VST’s by “SONG” in GP3.6?
#2.) Once you send the PC to GP3 you then have the option to use the short-cuts you mentioned to tweek stuff quickly on the “fly” right?
#3.) The Studio Logic MixFace i mentioned has basically a L/R brain. One side for programming your “PlugIns” and the other side for your DAW, but the navigation between both sides is seemless.
#4.) There are still some E-UC-33 units out there. Last software update was 2008. By the way you describe it, It seems like a perfect fit… Would love to hear how you answer my #1 & #2 questions Sergio. thanks so much for sharing BTW. Best KB

#1.) Are you organizing your live music & the handling of VST’s by “SONG” in GP3.6?
Yes, Rack and Variations AndSong
#2.) Once you send the PC to GP3 you then have the option to use the short-cuts you mentioned to tweek stuff quickly on the “fly” right?,
Yes.

My Setup:

1 Like

GagoC;

That is alot of hardware, Wow! I’m glad GP3 works so elegantly for you.
I can see where the Evolution is good for you. I sent back the SL MixFace &
am going to try the X-Touch compact. It has alot of Keyboard features already built in, like
Continuous Control input and Program change foot pedal input & 3 USB Hubs.

My head is still spinning with this stuff… Thanks in advance …KB in Dallas

Hello,
Finally… What did you choose ? :slight_smile: Thanks :wink: (I’m looking for one too !)

After looking at all the choices mentioned here I ended up buying an Icon Platform M+.

It was almost a toss up between that and the Behringer X-Touch or X-Touch compact, but the biggest difference for me was the physical dimensions. The Behringers are about 12" deep where the Platform M+ is about 8". The M+ just fits better with my layout.

1 Like

What do you think about the Keith McMillen QuNeo ?

It looks cool, but several years ago I looked into user reviews and read enough complaints that I thought it wasn’t quite ready, or at least not right for me.

It also doesn’t fit my basic need for 9 drawbars for a B3 organ. (It has nine faders, but not laid out right.)

Since I have 2 iPads (12.9 & Mini) and the button-challenged Numa C2X, might this Lemur (never heard of it B4) be superior to one of the hardware MIDI control surfaces (e.g. Korg Nano Kontrol 2 or Studio) for adding functionality? Can said iPad be Bluetoothed for this purpose?

You also like “MIDI Twister Fighter.”

I probably don’t need both, but my “gig” (with 9 plug-ins on the Numa’s faders) works well - until I play 5 or more notes at a time), so I’ve got to have “on / off” to save CPU power or whatever is causing the trane-wreck glitches at that point.

Thanks…

What glitches?

Lemur is an application that runs on iPads (and Android tablets) that can communicate with Gig Performer using the OSC protocol. It’s not clear that it is being supported any more – there’s another application called TouchOSC which is also a possibility but you have to configure it for your own purposes as everyone’s needs are different.