CPU issue in GigPerformer

I use Gig Performer in extreme ways regarding splits and layers because it has worked for me while providing artists with a virtual Orchestra when a real one is not practical. I started doing this in the mid nineties as a member of Dionne Warwick’s core band but the technology was very limited to multiple hardrives with the Mirslav Vitous orchestral library on most of them. Having 128 MBs was a luxury.

Fast forward to today, the technology has vastly improved. I approach the live virtual orchestra with the same meticulous mindset. You might have seen a post using GigPerformer with video link 6 months or so ago about my process demonstrating a Sir Paul song and a Toto song.

Anyway I have a question:

Keepin in mind the multiple plugins I use in one rackspace, my CPU usage in GigPerformer seems to fluctuate around 30% before I even play a note on my keyboard. Currently, I am getting a lot of audio glitches and drop outs.

Hoping David or someone can advise how to improve upon this issue.

Thanks in advance

If you’re seeing that with the CPU meter in Gig Performer itself, then it means that one or more of your plugins is seriously misbehaving - decently designed plugins will reduce their use towards 0 if they’re not making any sounds.
You should try bypassing each one and check the CPU meter to see what difference each plugin is making.

You could perhaps also test the auto-sleep option of the Plugin Persist 2 scriptlet?

Hi
I too have started to experience high CPU, pops and crackles on my 32GB M1 MacBook Pro. Especially when moving between Song Parts with different plugins. And some plugins appear worse than others - Arturia Jun 6V, Sampletank 4, Roland JD-800 etc.
What has changed? I’ve not had a problem in the 18 months I’ve been using GP until now? I have searched the forum but haven’t yet found a recommended diagnostic sequence to run through, to identify the root cause.

There is no magic. Something has changed on your machine…plugin update, os update, device driver change,….

I’m sure you’re right. Is the process to manually disable plugins and watch the CPU meter? I can do that, but it will take time. I have about 90 rackspaces, each with between 1 - 12 plugins. I don’t suppose there is a way to get a report on which plugins are misbehaving CPU-wise, is there?

You don’t have to do it on all rackspaces. Non active rackspaces are not using audio thread cycles.

So just pick a rackspace thst is showing high CPU when you’re not playing and start bypassing plugins

After discussing this problem with David on the FB group he has alerted me to the fact that Spitfire BBC Orchestra is very intensive because of its player. I did the test of disabling plugins and did confirm this. Unfortunately it is the best sounding orchestral library IMHO and I do use it extensively in most of my rackspaces. Trying to find a work around now. Any suggestions welcomed.

The V-Control forum may be a good resource for you. There are a lot of posters there with extensive knowledge of orchestral libraries (I believe they use them for television and other scoring).

My impression is there are many excellent options in the orchestral area. But, price is certainly an issue.

Good luck.

It seems to me that my Arturia stuff is more or less misbehaving.

I have a rackspace where I use a classic bass from Kontakt

• Seems to leave the CPU meter at 3%
    I also use Arturia’s Stage-73
  • It seems to add another 15%, leaving it at around 17%
    I initially used some Kontakt strings in addition to this, and as far as I remember I had no problems.
    My band members wanted me to use some other strings, and I changed to one I found in Analog Lab V.
  • This puts the meter up at 31-32%, and I get some crackling and distortion from time to time.

Would you say there’s some magic limit to how high the CPU meter can be when you’re not playing to avoid problems? Thinking of exchanging the Stage-73 with my newbought Lounge Lizard. That would leave the meter at around 20%, I think.

I of course can, and should have had time to, do a lot of testing myself, but I’m in kind of a hurry to solve this problem that started when we changed sounds a few days ago.

I’m playing a gig with this gig file in about 11 hours, leaving for the gig in about 4 hours :slight_smile:

I would avoid using Analog Lab in GP. By all means use it to find the sound you want, but once you do, find which engines (i.e. which individual Arturia plugin) provides the sound and use that directly. The Analog Lab plugin has more overhead to provide the convenience of access to all the sound engines, not least the fact is has to load all the sound engines to provide its basic functionality.

5 Likes

Agreed. This is well established.

If cpu is high when you “find your sound” in Analog Lab, switch to that same sound within the underlying synth itself.

Hopefully this goes pretty far to resolve your issue.

[I am not sure this is purely a technical issue or a marketing issue at Arturia to incentivize users to upgrade.]

Jeff

1 Like

I doubt it’s deliberate - it’s just a consequence of what it does.

2 Likes

Initial testing suggests Analog Lab is the problem. Especially when using multiple instances. Funny, it never used to be … maybe since they released an update, or since I bought the full v collection. Either way, am going to be watching cpu more closely as I’m building rackspaces in future.

If there are any other well known higher cpu plugins, might be good to list them in one place so that we can use them with care.

Ik’s B3 uses a lot of cpu

1 Like

I gave up on Arturia Augmented Strings and all GPU Audio plugins because of extremely high cpu usage.
That was more than a year ago, maybe it’s improved but I’ve decided I’m not interested in it any more, I can do without it.

2 Likes

Sampletank VST3 was high on cpu usage on my Mac, but oddly enough the AU version wasn’t. So something else to consider for Mac users.

@npudar I don’t know if there’s already a topic on this subject, but if not, now might be a good time to show off your talents and move these latest posts to a dedicated topic :wink:

Which posts need to be moved and in what thread? :slight_smile:

It might be useful to create a “Plugins that consume a lot of cpu resources” thread in which to move the posts responding to this comment.
I’ve noticed that you’re in the habit of spotting certain posts and redirecting them to a “clearing house” of similar information.
But I don’t want to give you any extra work either, you’re already doing a lot. :+1:

1 Like