VB3-II plugin crash during live show

I’ve recently started using only software at my live shows - no hardware synths at all. My host is GP on Windows 11. Over the past few months I’ve played 3 shows, all software only using GP. No problems. HOWEVER tonight I had a crash in the middle of a show. FREAKED ME OUT. Lucky I wasn’t in a keyboard dominant song at the time. How do I figure out what caused the crash? I’ve read the Windows Application log error that was logged when it crashed. But I can’t make any sense of it.

Faulting application name: GigPerformer4.exe, version: 4.8.2.0, time stamp: 0x653a8dff
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.3527, time stamp: 0x92b2df34
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000002169d
Faulting process id: 0x0x2C28
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DABE05CF5D3A11
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Gig Performer 4\GigPerformer4.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 0dfbadde-9e6a-4b01-9975-0da097aff982
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

In the application log in the logged event, there are one or two links to the location. You need to:

1. open a cmd-box with Run as Administrator
  2. copy the link, clean is up until it start with ‘c:\’ or alike and also remove the filename at the end
  3. go there with ‘cd ‘ followed by what’s left of the link.

There you might find the error-reports which you then copy to a ‘normal’ location.

Thanks Frank. I’m confused though. I feel like there are some steps missing in your directions.

1. What do you mean there are two links in the Application log logged event? What links? Where exactly are they in the event?

2. Clean up the link until it starts with c:\ or alike??? I don’t understand.

3. Remove the filename? Still don’t understand.

How to post a crash log on Windows: How to post a crash log on Windows

During the show I didn’t have time to leave that window open and do the export. I closed that crash window immediately. So how do I get that back? So that I could export and view these files?

I’m really not understanding all of this

The events from Windows about application crashes do contain a reference of the location of the minidump and a description file.

Tonight I can look it up more closely. At this moment I’m at the office.

Can’t blame you for freaking out. But I’m wondering if something changed on your system between the previous show and this one, whether there was a Windows update, a plugin update, or you did something you don’t normally do.
The crash report will be critical to determining what happened.

They are possibly in your current user directory, under AppData\Local\GPErrorHandler\UnsentCrashReports. :nerd_face:

I’m about a year into transferring my whole rig setup to GP and this is my biggest fear. Not that my hardware synths haven’t freaked out on stage in the past but VSTs are just new territory for me so I want to do everything I can to get a rock solid system up and running. GP does crash from time to time, so after reading this thread and the link to how to export GP crash log, I’m going to start being more diligent about really understanding why GP crashes when it does.

The other day in rehearsal, my computer shut down while I was looking away. It wasn’t a simple GP crash, but my whole comp restarted. In that event, how would I look into the reason’s for the restart? Is there a mechanism in GP, or would I just look into Windows?

What version of GP and have you reported the crashes so we can see whether it’s a GP issue or a plugin issue?

As long as you follow the best practices and guidelines, you’ll create threads like this: Gig Performer 5 is fireproof!

This suggests an issue with your operating system, hardware, malware, or driver.

Gig Performer can’t cause BSOD or restart computers.

3 Likes

That’s clarifying, thank you.

Ok I found them there. What do I do with them exactly to figure this out?

CrashRpt-Log-20240613-215008-{181ae4cd-2f53-4e8f-a991-490967ba595a}.txt (16.6 KB)

If anyone can help diagnose my crash last night, I’d appreciate it. Please see attached log.

That is a dump file. Please see here the instructions to post a crash log: Gig Performer crash during live show - #5 by npudar

This happened during the live show. I didn’t have time to click on buttons to export a file. Can I get the same data after closing this window?

Post the whole archive here, it will be fine.

Lol ok. What is 'the whole archive’s? It’s funny I’m an IT guy and I cannot follow you guys