Ok, this is gonna be a mouthful for some, but bear with me. Im too excited with the unlimited possibilites in this, to not share some inspiration for whats possible with using GP as a live guitar player.
Using a MacBook Pro M1 pro with an AXE I/O one and Line6 FBV 3 midi controller, I have created a cheap guitar modeller/multieffect unit. It has real time midi control of all functions i choose, and ALL elements mapped to widgets, så EVERY parameter can be set and saved in different presets.
Here are some headlines:
100% unlimited routing flexibility. Every plugin is set up in parallel so there is 100% efficient spillover when activating and deactivating effects and amp routings.
More than 20 active plugins running in 1 rig, even not counting mixers: Plugins used:
- Neural DSP, Archetype Rabea, several instances for correctly routed signal chain. Used for compression, fuzz, octaver, gate, transpose, amp section and synth module.
- Neural DSP, Archetype Petrucci, Several instances for correctly routed signal chain. Used for wah, amps, and preamp effects.
- ValhallaDelay x2 for 2 active delays pr preset.
- ValhallaVintageVerb, x2 for 2 active reverbs pr preset.
- MANY instances of ToneX for amp models. 4 mono amps, + 4 stereo amp setups. All active at the same time, and selective in each preset! Each stereo amp setup can be mixed with different balancing.
- Neural Amp Modeller, for Stompbox drives captures. (I use a very nice KLON capture).
- An isolated NeuralDSP Rabea Freeze section, with the possibilites for heavy modulated freeze, which can be live pitch shifted using midi, while playing over the top.
- MODO drums section, for drums and live control using midi.
- Nembrini Doubler.
- Parallel Shimmer section.
- Parallel Icicle section.
All this running in 1 instance, using about 35 – 45% CPU. Setup with 256 samples and 48khz. No crackling, and no latency issues. When opening GP, it takes 19 seconds to load it all up.
The small green button in every widget part, is for quick open/close plugin editor.
Only my own imagination sets the limits for what I can do. If i get an idea, i can make it. This setup has taken some time to make. The finish is not perfect, but it works, and i can find what i need.
Audio examples can get no better than my abilities to dial in a good tone, and play them. But anyway, here are som examples. All is recorded live, noodling around, in standard tuning. (Using the transpose feature sometimes.)
0:00 → 0:47 Ambient clean, with shimmer and octaver. Transposed 1 semitone down.
0:47 → 2:43 Freeze jam session, with midi pitch shift backing, and drums. Transposed 3 semitones down.
2:43 → 4:29 Driven fuzz sounds. Simple Freeze in backing.
4:29 → 4:50 Lead tone, mixed with synth slap back.
4:50 → 5:47 Lead tone, slightly fuzzed up, with ambient distant long decay reverb.
5:47 → 6:20 Stereo dual amp. Hi hain. Transposed -4 semitones.
I have used this playing live regularly for 6 months, never one single problem.
Im very excited! In the late 2000´s i had huge effect board, rack tube amps, Marshall JMP1, TC-electronics G-force etc. I stopped playing for 10 years (kids), and came back to start from scratch. I bought a Squier strat and a Headrush MX5, and was blown away with what that could do, and sounded like. I changed the pickups on the squier to a Mojotone HSS loaded pickguard, and was lusting after a Quad Cortex before coming up with creating this. Its MUCH cheaper, and so much fun setting up and use.
For your inspiration. Ask me anything!