Using a Content Creation Controller like: "Elgato Stream Deck" in Live performance

OK GigPerformer3 Community: A Burning “Live Performance/Studio” Question ?

I am a gigging Keyboard player in Dallas TX, whom is about to finally organize all my VST’s and ROLAND Integra7 under the hood of GP3. I have discovered a product that is used in the MUSIC SCORING world with great success, that I believe would actually make bringing up any & all custom program/patches that reside in GP3 a 1 keystroke process in the moment & heat of performing. It’s back-lit and any descriptors can be “projected” into the clear button. (Think-Live Content Creation Controller with 15 Customizable LCD Keys)

A tool like this could be velcroed onto my master controller & USB’d back to my WIN ADK Laptop. Because I can see 15 “Backlit LCD’s” right in front of me, means that for the most part my concentration can stay on the main performance, ( 88 keys) with my 2 --25/32 note controllers at 11 oclock and 2 o’clock positions.

Now that I have described how I would use it, does anyone have any experience with a ( small button PC pad controller) like this with GP3? I believe this would make for better performances, and even more efficient program changes back to GP3.

Feedback Please GP3 community!
Thank-You

Ken Boome

What do you want to do with such a controller?
Switch variations to change your sounds?
Do you know Lemur for iPad?
With OSC messages you can control Gig Performer

You can take a look at this

We need Hot Keys on GP!

You can absolutely do this. I have my Stream Deck XL nicely integrated into my Mac.
For PC, I’d add Bome Midi Translator to handle events from Stream Deck.
For Mac, I use Keyboard Maestro to handle events from Stream Deck.

RE: [Gig Performer Community] [General discussion about Gig Performer] Using a Content Creation Controller like: “Elgato Stream Deck” in Live performance

Hey Paul;

https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck

So, I play gigs and concerts and studio sessions.($$) The top of my 88 note
controller is only 9.5 inches. ( The new NORD Grand) YES, I know there is
IPAD support for GP3. It would be worth it to me to have a hardwire controller PAD
going back to my ADK computer, and my finger to actually touch & trigger a button
to get the GP3 pre-programmed sound up. ( So I want it right/precise the 1st touch
along with that there is a space issue.)

Another way to say this is I play, perform, write, and run a brick and mortar A/V company
for money and yes, fun. While the IPAD is certainly a wonderful tool and I use it with
all my GoPros for concert shoots, anything blue tooth/wireless like the GoPro or the QSC touchMix
needs a singular Router dedicated set up. I don’t carry the router in the keyboard computer rack.

All I’m asking the GP3 community is:

1st), has anyone out there in the big bad world of performing used such a
cool controller with GP3, instead of the wireless option, and

2ndly) based upon the specs of using such “Stream Deck PAD” it should work right out of the box with something as well programmed as GP3.

To bring up (PRE-PROGRAMMED) Program changes for all the VST’s….and my INTEGRA 7 which has 5500
killer sounds in it. So this is about elegantly and efficiently simplifying the Program Change activity even
if it costs me another $149.95 MSRP etc……

That’s for your interest and curiosity!

KB

Hah!

Enjoy RC – Yeah Man so you get it…! OK I sincerely appreciatte the data on the Bome Midi Translator and that this piece of software makes the communication right. I use a custom 4 SSD ADK WIN 10 Laptop. I am hoping also to finally get my Integra 7 working with the ROLAND VSTi software.

Here is what I wrote PianoPaul:
RE: [Gig Performer Community] [General discussion about Gig Performer] Using a Content Creation Controller like: “Elgato Stream Deck” in Live performance

Hey Paul;

So, I play gigs and concerts and studio sessions.($$) The top of my 88 note
controller is only 9.5 inches. ( The new NORD Grand) YES, I know there is
IPAD support for GP3. It would be worth it to me to have a hardwire controller PAD
going back to my ADK computer, and my finger to actually touch & trigger a button
to get the GP3 pre-programmed sound up. ( So I want it right/precise the 1st touch
along with that there is a space issue.)

Another way to say this is I play, perform, write, and run a brick and mortar A/V company for money and yes, fun. While the IPAD is certainly a wonderful tool and I use it with all my GoPros for concert shoots, anything blue tooth/wireless like the GoPro or the QSC touchMix needs a singular Router dedicated set up. (For Precise perfection) I don’t carry the router in the keyboard computer rack.

All I’m asking the GP3 community is:

1st), has anyone out there in the big bad world of performing used such a
cool controller with GP3, instead of the wireless option, and

2ndly) based upon the specs of using such “Stream Deck PAD” it should work right out of the box with something as well programmed as GP3.

To bring up (PRE-PROGRAMMED) Program changes for all the VST’s….and my INTEGRA 7 which has 5500
killer sounds in it. So this is about elegantly and efficiently simplifying the Program Change activity even
if it costs me another $149.95 MSRP etc……

That’s for your interest and curiosity!

KB

EnjoyRC;

I forgot to ask you this: With the Stream Deck 15 Button Creation Controller, can you have:
BANKS of 15 etc. A1 thru 15----B1–thru 15 --C1 --thru–15 etc?
Thanks a ton.
KB

Indeed, Stream Deck calls em Profiles. Define all 15 buttons, then create another profile, define all those, etc…

I was using a Elgato Stream Deck for filmscoring, triggering articulations in Studio One and for notating in Dorico. Although it would be nice to use it with GP I prefer real MIDI controllers that include knobs and sliders and not just buttons.

There are some JavaScript projects that allow to communicate with the Stream Deck API in a NodeJS context. That’s quite interesting and something I would like to look at this year… :slight_smile:

I know this is an old thread, but if you’re still around EnjoyRC, do you happen to have a Bome Midi project file that you would care to share (a .bmtp file) showing how you use Bome MIDI Translator in conjunction with GigPerformer and the Streamdeck?

During the Covid lockdowns, I switched to livestream performances from my home, and I used the Streamdeck in conjunction with VMix livestreaming software and Companion free software to connect my ATEM Mini (video swticher), to VMix, and control dozens of functions with the small 15-button Streamdeck.

I was playing live, and my wife was changing backgrounds, flying all kinds of graphics, lower thirds, bugs, crawlers, and even sound effects – it was pretty fun while it lasted.

It would be great to now repurpose the Streamdeck to trigger some GP stuff!

I have used a streamdeck with Gig Performer for some basic functionality, just to see how useful it would be. I mostly just program key sequences and then use the keystroke callback in a gig script to do things.

So for example, to close all open plugin windows, I have a callback that detects the key sequence c a p and response by invoking the GP Script function to close all plugin windows

On Keystroke matching "cap" Description "Close All Plugins"
    CloseAllPluginWindows(true)
End
1 Like

You can check these Gig Performer in Action threads for some ideas, as people reported that Gig Performer is great for the live streaming use case as well.

Link: Paul Gandhi
Link: Zentaur and Gig Performer

1 Like

Thanks, npuddar, that’s very similar to what I was doing! Very cool to see the people keep the music flowing, no matter the circumstances. I remember early in the lockdowns seeing a video from Italy, where folks were out on their balconies singing, playing instruments, etc. It’s hard to stop the music :slight_smile:

1 Like

Streamdeck eases my live performance.

I’ve programmed this little thing to my personal needs
(from upper left to lower right):

1. Track bass off/on (if there is a bassman available)
  2. Track click off/on (if the drummer loses timing)
  3. Show/hide global panel
  4. Show Rig Manager
  5. Clock
  6. Start track intro-of-show
  7. Spare
  8. MIDI/audio panic switch
  9. Show setlist
  10. Deger E-Pipes on/off (mutes audio input)
  11. Previous song
  12. Save gig
  13. Stop backtracks
  14. Start/pause backtracks
  15. Next song

For me it’s a very facilitate tool.

4 Likes

Very cool, @Stoffel, they keep saying the possibilities are endless, and you have shared another example of one such possibility.

2 Likes

Also keep in mind, there is now a great Stream Deck MIDI Plugin. Works perfectly.

2 Likes