Sync Gig Performer with Guitar Pro?

I don’t know how to put it better. I have only a problem in Setlist mode. In this mode GP jumps to the wrong song, when I use Guitar Pro (which acts like a MIDI Sequencer for the virtual instruments playing in Gig Performer). So in Setlist Mode my song is Back in Black and I start Guitar Pro to play Back in Black then Gig Performer jumps to the next song which is Flesh for Fantasy and so on…

At least this behaviour is diffrent on my machine, but i can’t tell you why… there was no PC0 in the events list, but there were many diffrent PCs (on diffrent channels from the other non-MIDI tracks). So a filtering would be obligatory anyway…

Maybe you just had one Program Change on one track, but you can put as much PCs aka Sound Automations on a track as you want and I got the impression that these Sound Automations always send a Program Change 0 after the “correct Program Change”. You can see that in my screenshots and yes, you can see that Guitar Pro is sending all notes off and lots of other things on a lot of channels which are redundant. OK, no reason to get frustrated because I have found a workaround, but it still seems very strange how Guitar Pro behaves.

That’s not a shame….that’s a bug!

That said, you could create a gigscript that would just block PC 0 before it can “get into” gig performer.

Well, yes I reported that yesterday as a bug to the Guitar Pro Guys, now I can only wait and see (and pray that they will fix it :smiley:), but I am aware of the fact that Guitar Pro is more a learning and transcribing tool and not something like a poor mans Logic, but if they implement those functions they should work and not be so buggy.

I have been working with Gig Performer only since three days and I don’t have the slightest idea how to write a script.

You will need to read up about the Rig Manager and how to define a MIDI Device Alias for your Guitar Pro input port but once you’ve done that, a script like this in your GigScript should work

var
   GuitarPro : MidiInDevice  // Defined in Rig Manager - associated with your physical MIDI In port

//Called when a program change message is received at some MidiIn device
On ProgramChangeEvent(m : ProgramChangeMessage) from GuitarPro
    var
       i : integer = GetProgramChangeNumber(m)

if i != 0
          then InjectMidiEventViaRigManager(GuitarPro, m) // Non 0 PC messages get sent in as normal
       end     
End

Thank you, I still have this problem in Setlist mode. I made a Gig File which has 3 Test Songs. Everything is completely clean. There are only 2 Global Midi Assignments, but when I am on Test Song 2 and I start Guitar Pro then GP jumps back to Test Song 1. So it is impossible to use the Setlist function. This is driving me crazy.

Here you see a screenshot of the MIDI Monitor. In the setlist I was in Song 2, but when I started Guitar Pro playing the Song GP jumped back to Song 1, but I just want to stay in Song 2. Do you have any idea what goes wrong?

Have you actually defined program change values for the song parts or are you just using the defaults (which is just based on the position of each song part, starting at 0)

screenshot_5418

For example, make sure that all your parts have explicit assignments like this one below instead of the defaults
screenshot_5419

Also, beware of zero-based vs one-based program change numbers

If you define them all but don’t include PC 0 (or PC 1 depending on zero/one based), then PC 0 will be ignored completely (and you don’t need a script)

1 Like

I didn’t change anything. I did no assignments.

Well then…that would do it, GP is working as designed, the first song part will be pc 0 and given that that program is sending PC 0, the behavior is exactly what would be expected.

Explicitly assign non zero pc numbers

I think we are talking now about two problems which might be connected. One problem is the Guitar Pro is sending Program Change 0 messages. So you think I should deactivate “Use zero based PC Numbers”. And you say every song part is assigned to PC 0 by default? I thought it is only assigned when I activate this option, but anyway I assigned all song parts to numbers without zero, but I still have the same problem that GP always jumps back from Song 2 to Song 1.

I have no activated “only accept PC messages on specific channel 1”.
Now when I start a Guitar Pro File which has only one track and this track is playing on another channel than channel 1 it seems that GP is acting as desired. In other words in this case GP is no longer jumping back from Song 2 to Song 1. I think I have to do some more testing, but if this works then I only had to avoid Channel 1 in my Guitar Pro Projects. I could live with that…

Thank you very much for your patience with me. A lot of people might think that I am crazy to use Guitar Pro as my main MIDI Sequencer, but as I said the Tab View for Guitarists is so much better then in Logic and Cubase. I got the impression that in combination with GP I can do pretty much anything I like to do. I did some further testing and it seems that when I avoid to send from Guitar Pro to GP MIDI messages on Channel 1 GP no longer jumps back to the previous song.

No, I didn’t say that – given that Guitar Pro is zero-based, you need to make sure that you have Gig Performer configured to be zero based as well.

I didn’t say that either. I said that by default, PC numbers are assigned based on the physical order of the song parts - the first one will be PC 0, the second PC1, the third PC 2, etc.

Then if you move song parts to a different order, that will change them.

However, if you assign explicit program change numbers to song parts, then they’ll stick. And if you make sure that none of the song parts are associated with PC 0, then GP will just ignore the PC 0 messages that are coming in.

Please post a picture showing the song part assignments for those two songs

You mean songs don’t you, not song parts?

Nope…program changes are associated with parts…just as in rackspaces, program changes are associated with variations.

1 Like

Thank you, this is important information. I don’t know if one can find this in the documentation. Maybe someone should include this in a kind of a beginners guide or maybe someone could make an article about things to avoid. I understand that a software which offers so much options has also features which can be a trap for unexperienced users. How should someone know that “PC numbers are assigned based on the physical order of the song parts - the first one will be PC 0, the second PC1, the third PC 2, etc.” I thought they are only assigned if one actively assigns them. And to be honest I thought that this refers to sending a MIDI Out, but it refers to recalling the actual song port. OK, I guess this can be definitely found in the manual. It’s just that there are a lot of layers: Songs, Song Parts, Racks, Rack Variations and I still have problems to completely understand the concept of the global rack, but all in all I think that Gig Performers is a great peace of software for musicians.