Setting up RME Babyface Pro

Yes, definitely used a powered hub

Thanks Richard. That sounds logical to me. I do have two other interfaces (NI Traktor Audio 2 Mk 2 and Behringer UCA 222) that both run happily off the same unpowered hub. And with the computer using the same settings it make sense. The Babyface is touted as being bus powered though. I am disappointed as I wanted to step up into a more professional device.

It is bus powered. Bus powered simply means that you don’t need a separate AC power supply for the device. But if you have multiple devices plugged in, an unpowered hub will probably not have sufficient power for everything and so a powered hub allows the hub to deliver more power to each device.

RME interfaces are most certainly professional, they’re considered by many to be best of breed.

At the time of testing, the Babyface and my instrument were the only devices plugged in. Would these two cause enough drain to make the Babyface sound bad?

I have no idea. All I can say is that RME interfaces are top of the line and there’s something else causing the issue.

If you plug the RME directly into your USB port on the computer and trigger some sounds using the MidiIn keyboard, does that work?

I sent it back.

I’m gong to talk to the supplier tomorrow and find out how they made it work when I couldn’t. RME responded too, but didn’t give much useful advice.

The supplier sent it back to me saying it was working fine. I have 7 days to find out whether I can get it to work or not. I found another hub and set everything up as before. I loaded up Real Guitar and made the initial settings. The music came out clear as a bell in stand alone mode. However, I then booted up a new instance of GP and loaded a single instance of Real Guitar. Instant distortion, with exactly the same fuzzy ring modulated sound I originally had. I’m doing something wrong here. Is it in the RME software settings? Is there a clash between software and VST? Can somebody guide me into how to set up the RME software (sorry can’t remember it’s name). I really want to keep the BP Pro, but it is useless with Real Guitar for me, and RG is my main VST used in every rackspace. If I can’t get it working this weekend, I’ll have to send it back for a refund. Help please some kind person​:yum::+1::blush:.

Real Guitar? Hummm… Did you see this: GP and MusicLab vst
Just for testing purposes, could you avoid MusicLab vst for the moment? How does it work for you with other vst?

Oh, just for me, what do you mean exactly by « standalone mode »

Yes I did see the article you referenced. I made a response stating I had no problems at all with RG, but that was while using my NI Traktor Audio2 Mk 2 sound card. My present problems concern the RME Babyface Pro.
Standalone mode is where I load up Real Guitar by itself not using GP at all. It seems adding GP into the mix causes all the distortion. No I can’t bypass RG.

Hi Al,
i loaded the demo version of Real Guitar and gave it a try.
Since i don’t have a RME interface, i am not sure if i can really help.
But… in the standalone version of RG i was able to reduce the buffer down to 64 samples size (at a sample rate of 44.1kHz) without having major glitches.
When using GigPerformer with RealGuitar as VST in one of your very own rackspaces, you sent me the other day, i not only get a CPU load of up to 29% (which is quite a lot) but also a really distorted sound.
Switching back to 256 samples (at 44.1kHz) results in crystal clear sound again.
Maybe check again your settings in RG (see screenshot) and also in GP (audio settings).
How sounds the drum-VST (AIR Strike 2) - is it all rght?
2019-03-16%2011_49_40-Window

The combination of Real Guitar, Windows, an RME interface and Gig Performer 3 is breaking bizarrely. We have been able to reproduce it and Nebojsa has been working nonstop for the last four days but has still not been able to figure out what is causing it. Obviously we will keep going until it’s cracked.

2 Likes

From the link on the other topic I sent to you, we know that there is an issue using GP+RG+RME, and this is currently investigated. It is a question of time, but I am sure our favorite developers will find out what the matter is. You cannot decide whether the Babyface Pro is good for you or not based on the exact setup that leads to an issue. Even If playing with RG is a priority for you, for the moment, please avoid MusicLab VST together with GP and RME, and try other VST. The settings adviced by @schamass are perfect for your evaluation, keep them at 44,1kHz and 256 of buffer size.

Actually GP3+RG+RME + WINDOWS . On a Mac, there is no problem whatsoever. It’s really strange

You are right this is an important point. It is really a weird issue and I think we are lucky you are not the type to give up.:+1:

Thanks to all who are working so diligently on this!

That’s a great relief to know the the problem has been replicated. Am I reasonably safe to keep the Babyface Pro in the anticipation of it eventually being able to work with RG?

I do notice other bizarre things happening with Real Guitar. For instance, I worked on a few songs two days ago using the NI interface. Everything was perfect and sounding great. I turned everything on again this morning and an organ VST was out of tune with the four instances of RG I had running. I spent half an hour replacing this and that but in the end I imported a backup copy of the rackspace which solved the problem. So the question is, why and how did the file corrupt when the computer was off for two days? I am gigging today for an open air event and at this point I won’t know if everything is going to sound correct or not. It’s a worrying situation. I’ve suspected RG being unreliable for a while, but often put it down to myself and forgetting if I did something out of order then forgot about it and distrusted my memory.

So finally, will I be safe to keep the BP Pro, or should I perhaps send it back for a refund and maybe buy it again when the RG problem has been solved?

Do you use the latest version of Gig Performer?
I remember, there once was an issue with VSTs going out of tune in earlier versions of GP, but as far as i know, this should be fixed now.

You are right it, but I think it occurred only on some VST3 plugins. But whatever, it is fixed in 3.1.7.