Setting up RME Babyface Pro

Well my gig this afternoon was a write off. My wireless guitar controller kept cutting out, GP kept receiving strange messages from my iPad (despite a brand new Amplifi mesh router) causing unwanted program changes. And the Strike 2 drum vst kept throwing in odd fills to the point where I had to stop before the chorus of my first song. Reboot twice and same problems. Good thing I was only 10 mins away from home, so I went and got my keyboard and filled in the afternoon with that.

But, the real reason that I’m posting is that Babyface Pro is now working perfectly and playing Real Guitar with crystal clear sound. I had the thought to try GP V2, so I unistalled V3 and reinstalled V2, and now BF Pro is sounding great. I even went back to my original unpowered hub. Not sure about the weird stuff above whether V2 has fixed that or not, but so far, all is well. I haven’t tested the guitar controller wireless connection dropouts yet but I’ll report on that later. Still keen to hear about possible changes that V3 brought or whether there is still something in Real Guitar that isn’t right. I’ll be watching this posting with interest.

Update. I notice that GP is back to hitting 100% CPU under V2 while playing Real Guitar which is something that went away under V3. Also, I fixed the wireless guitar controller dropouts by going back to the same replacement hub I had tried a few days ago. Progress? I hope so!

Yes, we know that GP2 works fine with RealStrat and RME…the problem is that there were some major updates to some support libraries we use (one of which addressed that CPU issue, among many other improvements) and something broke but it’s turning out to be very difficult to find exactly the cause.

After all the stress I’ve had with GP 3 failing at gigs, I kinda wish I’d been told about v3 being broken and then I would have stuck with V2 in the interim. Very embarrassing to set up in full view of an audience and have the music fail.

Oh God I think I understand quite well your feeling… I had a similar issue during the break of a fashion show. It was 20 years ago and I still remember it… Everyone was watching me sweating on the stage. It was noticeably long and the show couldn’t go on. When I finally solved the issue and the show went on again, I was wet from head to toe… :woozy_face:

1. Gig Performer is hardly “broken”. The combination of GP3, Real Strat, an RME interface and Windows is failing and it’s quite bizarre… There are thousands of plugins, hundreds of audio interfaces, i.e, hundreds of thousands of possibly configurations, one combination of which is having a problem. As yet it is completely unclear what is causing the problem. This is a bug ---- bugs happen!

2. We only confirmed this problem ourselves last week

3. I can’t speak for everyone but if I change any piece of my gear, I will run through my entire set, test all my plugins, weeks before I would get up on stage with it. I would most certainly test my core sounds.
    I would never just replace something and jump up on stage. That’s just asking for a problem.

I have 300 rackfiles/songs average performing time 3 minutes. 300 x 3 = 900 minutes or 15 hours. I’m not going to run through all of them just before I leave the house for the gig.

Any progress on sorting out th Babyface Pro sound distortion?

We think we have found a fix for this, it’s in test and hopefully an update will be released in the next few weeks.

@bigalminal
I am a software developer too and I agree with David:
I would never change a system and use it Live without testing all I can.
“Never change a running system” or better “Never run a changing system”.
I also always do a complete backup of my system, even when I update a single plugin.
There are so many combinations which could lead to issues where the software developer is not responsible for.
So many things a software developer cannot test because of so many different hardware combinations are used.
The software developer has to trust on standards and sometimes he is able to provide a workaround.
By the way: I never had such a good and fast support as I have from the guys who develop
Gig Performer!

I have to say: Gig Performer is the most reliable tool for live musicians I ever had.

I can understand your frustration, but you really should check new systems before using them.

Hope I am not too tough :wink:

2 Likes

Excellent news. Thank you.

While I’m waiting, Ive gone back to GP V2. Everything is running fine.

We’ve just released v3.2.7 so please update your GP3 and test the new version.

Ok. Will do that tomorrow.

Oh yes, oh yes! Works perfectly. No distortion, just pure sweet sound. Great work fellas!

5 Likes

Just spotted a previous problem that has returned. Music Labs Real Guitar was hitting 100% CPU in the last release of V2 GP. This went away in the first release of V3, but now I see has returned in this latest release of V3. Is there a way to find out why this is happening?

I think that’s a question for the Music Labs developers.

I emailed them this morning.

The thing is though, prior to the last V3 update, the CPU use was running at around 15%. I’m pleased that I can now use my RME Babyface Pro, but at the cost of 100% CPU usage. My options are limited in that I can go back one version but then would have to resort to using my NI Traktor Audio 2 interface, otherwise I get the RME distortion again. The NI device works fine, but is not in the same league as the RME.

What is the downside of using the computer at 100% all the time whilst playing?

And if you use GP3 with your NI audio interface the CPU load is lower?

Yes, that’s correct. About 15%.

I had a reply back from using Labs concerning Real Guitar hitting 100%. Here is the reply.

There is something wrong with Gig Performer’s CPU meter. I’ve tested Real instruments VST3 on Windows 10 1803, Gig Performer 2.6.2 and found that Gig Performer’s CPU meter always show 100% while playing Real instruments. At the same time Windows’s Task Manager shows 10-12% CPU usage which is correct.