Send All Notes Off

Which AutoSustainer.gig file did you try? There have been a few uploaded here? Are you talking about the last one? I don’t know why, for me, when I sustain the notes, release the pedal and try to play over them, EVERTHING gets added and sustained together. It just keeps sustaining everything until I press the pedal again, then it stop.

It was the last one. I just now downloaded the first one and about to try it.

You were able to do that in the last version? I’m so confused now b/c even @pianopaul said that was in his initial version, but he thought I didn’t want that…which sounds like he took it out of the later versions. I never was able to play over the sustained notes with non sustained ones.

I can do it with my keyboard controller…as long as I don’t hit the same notes as in the sustained chord.
On guitar I can’t get it to work. As soon as I play any other notes the sustained notes quit. But I’m no pro in using the guitar setup…

Can you try a pad patch with your keyboard controller? Piano sounds don’t really sustain long and just want to make sure we eliminate that possibility and want to confirm that you can SUSTAIN notes while playing notes on top of it that do NOT sustain? Even if its different notes than the originals (since you say that stops them for you), lets test with totally different notes to see if you can play notes that don’t sustain on top of the sustained ones?Thanks!

I used an organ patch. That way I could hear the sustained chord along with other staccato notes.

1 Like

And you could sustain with regular (not sustained/staccato) notes over it using the same plugin, patch/preset?

Yes…BUT, I’m discovering that pushing the pedal again doesn’t stop the sustained notes. The only way I can stop the notes is by striking them again. So this may not be what you’re looking for (without some modifications which I’m not experienced in making).

I too have found certain patches that will sustain and then stop sustaining upon striking the same note. But that’s more the preset programming itself. I wonder if that’s what’s going on for you as opposed to the script working. I appreciate the time you’re willing to test this. I wonder if you had another plugin with different patches would you experience the same thing?

You could be right on the sustain cut-off. I haven’t experimented too far with it. I did try more plugins such as pads, etc. They all act the same. One trick I’ve noticed is that you have to release the note before you release the pedal in order for the sustain to work.

OK I think I’m onto something. First of all, I had to delete the midi in and out blocks, make new ones with same script name then I got a different set of behaviors. I have no idea why, but finally starting to get SOME of the results @pianopaul was talking about. I have been able to consistently get these results:

MOMENTARY PEDAL RESULTS:
1: Play note(s)
2: press and release pedal, so value of 0 then 127
3: release note and it is sustaining. If at that point I play any more notes, they TOO will sustain…however, if I
4: press and release (0, then 127) pedal again, then new notes will NOT sustain and will play on top of the original sustained notes.
5: If I press pedal again, then the new notes WILL sustain as well, which I can get rid of by pressing the pedal again. So the 2nd layer of notes can be toggled on/off to sustain or not on TOP of the original sustained notes, which are still going non stop during all this time.
Also during these cycles, I cannot stop the original sustain by pressing the pedal, doesn’t matter how many times I press the pedal, they keep going. ONLY if I hit the same note(s) that started it originally, then it stops and its the only way to stop them.

LATCHED PEDAL RESULTS:
1: With pedal pressed and released (127) it sustains the original notes and any new note (even after pressing/releasing pedal)
2: Press/release pedal agian (0) now new notes do NOT sustain and can play new notes over the sustained notes. However, unfortunately, playing the same notes again that were used to sustain, STOPS those notes from sustaining. Undesired effect.
However, in this mode, press/release the pedal again (127) STOPS all sustain, which is great!

So there you have it. I tried to be as detailed as possible. This shows a LOT of promise but can’t use as is. The latched action is closer to what I wanted, and could be useful if:
1: playing the same notes again as in the sustain, would NOT stop them from sustaining
2: Wouldn’t have to press the pedal a second time for new notes not to sustain. In a live application, one wants to sustain a chord, play over it, then quickly change chords to sustain and play over it agian…pressing twice each time will be confusing.

My old setup had it working where the pedal had to be pressed down while striking the notes one wants sustained, then upon releasing the pedal, the notes after that would not sustain and play over the sustained chord. Then when press and hold again, strike new chord…release and play over… etc That was based on sostenuto CC#66 however, NOT sustain #64. Could that be the problem/solution???

@pianopaul, your price is too high for me (Maschine+) but I’m sure you deserve it!!! We’re sooo close!!! I think a lot of guitar players (and others??) could benefit from this! :slight_smile: Is that enough motivation to keep going? Collectively, we have put so much time and effort into this, let’s finish it ! Ra-ra-hurra! LOL

1 Like

Sounds like you’re on to something. I’m pretty sure the note release when hitting the same note again was part of the original script. It would work great for two controllers…play a chord on one controller and let it sustain while playing over that on another controller. Then when stopping or changing chords you hit the same notes (on the first controller) and the sustain would quit.

Yeah, I think you are right, that stopping the sustained notes by playing them again is by design of the AutoSustain feature, but it does not work for this application too well, unless it is highly customizable. Especially not on the guitar. You are limited to sustaining only very low notes and playing over them only on very high notes.

1 Like

@ztones, given that you topic titled "Send All Notes Off’ derived more or less to another GPScript request and has already more than 70 answers, I hope you won’t mind me asking you something that may have already been explained.

Does what you want resume to a Sustenuto pedal (like the one of a grand piano) with a latching option rather than the regular momentary behavior?

Yes it does and I mentioned this a few times in this thread actually. It is a sostenuto behavior for sure. :+1:

I’ve been playing the piano since I was four,(that was a long time ago) and I still haven’t found any use for hat pedal🤫

2 Likes

LoL I can see that as a piano player. However as a guitar player in the world of midi, it opens up a whole new world of possibilities! :slight_smile:

My script is loyalty free :wink:
So you can change whatever you want.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the effort you had had put into it!

I have an algorihmic solution in mind, but I would need a bit more Note Management functions that what we have until now in GPScript, so I will probably need more time. Please be patient… we will find a solution for you…