Roland cloud plugins causing crash

Opinions on rolands plugins, they seem to cause a lot of crashes on my system.
Anyone experiencing problems with these ?

In the Forum you find some discussions about that

I like this answer from GP forum member @Vindes

2 Likes

I was going to post the same issue. I needed some decent strings for live use. I have NI Ultimate Komplete, and strings are amazing, but more for Production work, and not so much for live use. I like(d) the strings from SRX Orchestra, so purchased 2 weeks ago a lifetime key. But I have a feeling that GP is crashing due to this plugin. Whenever I have SRX Orchestra in a Rig, it Crashes at random.

Checking the crash report 9 out of 10 times its an exception in ntdll.dll
I thought that by buying a lifetime key, I would not need Roland Cloud Manager, but when RCM is not installed GP has even trouble loading the Rig when SRX orchestra is in the Rig.
Also have a feeling that it crashes less often when my system is connected to the internet ( I think RCM does some checks in between ). But thats not an option, as on a Gig I will not have an internet connection.
Currently doubting if it was a waste of money / if I’m going to use it for Live use…

While at it, does anyone can recommend a good versatile string library, that is good for Live performance ?

For strings I often use Omnisphere

1 Like

the crash culprit in mine was roland d50, when i removed d50 all srx orch and strings no longer crashed.

You mean D50 used in Rig, I assume. I have D50 installed but have not used it in a Rig. So in theory that should not cause a crash…

I had to uninstall D50 completely off my pc

That is not necessarily true, particularly if you are on Windows and an installer changed (updated) some system files.

Will give it a try, remove all Roland Plugins, except the ones I actually use

I have no idea whether that will be sufficient. I was just wanting to point out that installers can update windows system DLLs and that can be sufficient to introduce issues to other applications (including plugins)

1 Like

The Roland plugins, I have are all VST2 plugins. Normally VST2 plugins are just one dll file that are placed in a seperate directory, without any other dependend files.
I noticed something else yesterday while I had band rehearsal. I had a “random” crash of GP, and a bit later while the system was just “idle” again.
The crash report showed that the exception occured in “ig12icd64.dll”. A bit of research shows that this is a Intel HD graphics related dll.
I Recently changed the Graphics Renderer in GP from “Software” to “OpenGL”. I suspect that, that might be the one causing stabiltiy issue. Changed it back now to Software, and will check if GP runs now more stable

Btw since I changed the Graphics Renderer from OpenGL to Software renderer , GP runs much more stable. No more random Crashes anymore in the last 3 days.
Did also some further research on the Roland Cloud “thingy”, it seems even with a “lifetime license”, you still need to have Roland Cloud Manager installed, and you need to logon (opening Roland Cloud Manager while connected to interent),at least once every 7 days, to verify your license.

So it needs to become a routine that before every gig, one should logon to RCM to avoid any problems during the gig where you might not have an internet connection.

I would never use such plugins live which need an Internet Connection.
What do you do when you have to restart and the Internet Conection is not available?

Yes, I agree its a “crappy” construction, as you need to have the discipline to logon to RCM every 7 days. And these are the things one tends to forget…
To clarify, once you have connected RCM, then for 7 days you dont need too ( so no internet connection need ). So for now I’m going to make sure I connected to RCM once, before going to a Gig, then I’m fine for a week. But will look for other plugins that satisfy my need

Do Zenology (Pro) and its model expansions (e.g. Jupiter 8, JX8P, Juno 106, etc) with a lifetime key also requires an Internet connection every week?
I learned from @Vindes (and @Nielswil68 I think), that Zenology follow a different logic.

We worked very hard to come up with a secure licensing system that would not require an internet connection after activation precisely so that one wouldn’t have to worry about such issues on stage.
Can you imagine being an arena performer on tour and having GP popup in the middle of your show to announce your license has expired because you forgot to connect to the server 1 day earlier?

Speaking solely as an end user / performer, I would never use any plugin that requires ongoing license checks for my shows — just not willing to take that risk.

2 Likes

@David-san, I dont know about the Zenology, it might be different.

@dhj: I totally agree, and regret purchasing a lifetime key without checking first how the licensing works with Roland Cloud

Yeah – whenever I find a new plugin, I always check the licensing before I commit.

Again, speaking solely as an end-user/performing musician, I will not buy or use any plugin that requires either ongoing checking or a physical dongle (the latter can get lost or break)

I had/have a lot of plugins that requiered an ILok, luckely they changed now, so you can choose to have the license on your Computer instead of only on the dongle.