Roland cloud plugins causing crash

Unfortunately not always true, e.g. iZotope :confused:

Hence I don’t use iZotope for live performance either!

1 Like

I have a lifetime key on some instruments and downloaded them onto my pc and there is no need for internet connection every week.

No more indeed, it seems to be every month now. I am very disappointed as I really like their Zenology/ZEN-Core concept.

I have an answer from the very responsive Roland support in this other topic where I am alone to ask question and answer them :wink:

I only have the Zenology lite. But i was there for the sound modules and synths, i was not interested in the Zenology thing, and now i am not interested in it.
#David-san, i mis understood you, very sorry. I am Dutch.

You shouldn’t apologize because you are not a native English speaker, this is also the case for a lot of us… I am sometimes not clear enough :wink:

Once every 30 days, is even worst… I might remember something I need todo every week, but something every 30 days becomes even more difficult :thinking:

Still think for lifetime keys, no connecting to internet should be needed

I hope they will change this because their Zenology/Zen-core concept is nice.

I just submitted a ticket to Roland, as I really cant use the plugins for live use right now.
The moment my PC is not connected to the internet, I notice that loading SRX Orchestra into GP takes about 15 seconds (instead of 1 second when connected to internet), and GP will crash (ntdll.dll exception) after “some time” ( I guess when the Plugin wants to do a license check on internet )

This is what is send to them:

Recently, I bought a lifetime key for SRX Orchestra to use Live with Deskew Gigperformer.
Unfortunately when I don’t have my system connected to the internet (during Live performances) Gigperformer crashes after a while (with an exception on ntdll.dll).
This only happens when I use SRX Orchestra plugin in Gigperformer (no issues with other plugins).
When the system is connected to the internet everything works fine without any crashes.

Although I have a lifetime key, it seems that SRX Orchestra tries to connect to the internet every once in a while, and when there is no internet, the host application (in this case Gigperformer crashes). This renders the plugin for me useless as I cannot use it during Live shows.
Is there something that can be done about this. ?

Besides the above issue, I would expect with a lifetime key, that no online check would be performed for license check, so the above mentioned issue would probably not occur at all.

Lets see what they come up with

3 Likes

Good luck!

It’s Gig Performer, i.e. in two words. :wink:

Perhaps you could also add that no serious live player wants to be bored with a license system requiring an internet connection for lifetime keys… (I would immediately buy their Zenology Pro Analog bundle :cry:)

I was going to add more comments, but I reached my 1000 charachters quota :slight_smile:
Once I get a reply, I will spill the rest…

1 Like

I got an reply:

Thanks for contacting us. The plug-ins don’t try to connect to the internet–they talk to the RCM Service, which checks for a network connection. If there isn’t one, then the plug-in goes into the offline grace period of 30 days. This is not an issue for other plug-in hosts that we’ve tested.

Roland Cloud lifetime keys provide ongoing access to a virtual instrument or expansion (soundpack, wave expansion, model expansion, etc.) for a one-time purchase. No ongoing membership is required. You’ll still authorize using the same on-line method as with a membership, and the authorization is still good for 30 days of offline use.

After that I found what my problem was:

Hi Travis,

I think, I found the issue. As I stripped down my Live system for all “unnecesarry” services , RCMService.exe was disabled as startup service. After activating the service again, and restarting my System without internet connection the crashes did not appear anymore. I found it strange though, that even with the service disabled, if the computer is connected to the internet, there were no Crashes…

Regarding the authorization model, it would be nice if the plugin or maybe better even RCMService would notify you a few days before the 30 days expire. Things that you need todo once every 30 days, are the things that get easely forgotten, and then you end up having a big issue on a live gig, where no intenet is available.
Just a thought :blush:

Besides that, I know a lot of performers that don’t buy / get the subsciption for Roland Cloud products, because of this authorization mechanism. When Roland could come up with another solution for this, there would be a lot more customers for the Cloud products.

2 Likes

This may be worth documenting somewhere

3 Likes

@dhj
Documented here: Gig Performer | A plugin crashed Gig Performer - how to find out which one