Problem with Roland Integra-7 Module

Hi Ken

Lets clarrify this - originally the Roland VST would not display its entire display on my music lap top - but it would on my desktop machine (the latter has no real music keyboards connected - I use it for testing) . Unless I could see then entire VST - I could not actually see the relevent boxes to set up the midi channels of the I7. The music laptop is the one connected to the Integra7.

After changing the graphics card resolution (on the laptop) - and back to how it was before - on David-sans suggestion I found that I could now see the entire VST because scrolling bars magically appeared .

The problem now is that once I set the midi channels as I believed they should be set then something crashed. I thought it was GP - but apparently according to Deskew it was the Roland APP/VST itself was crashing. I have tried removing/reinstalling this but nothing will make it work. So thats where we are - I have raised a bug report with Roland - but in all honesty I don’t feel I will get any sense out of them. I could try connecting the Integra to my desktop machine - but frankly thats a step too far as it means disconnecting all the cables and the racking.

What you could try - is to see whether Cubase (if you use it) allows you to control the I7 using the Roland VST.

I suspect there is not much more that I can do. You may find that its something perculiar about the setup of my machine thats causing the crash - but I cannot see what - as I have no other crashing problems and that it may work on yours if you try it.

Barry

Just to clarify, it’s according to the crash report that showed up. We just read it! :slight_smile:

Who at Roland did you contact? It might make sense for us to reach out to the same people.

Hi,

I heard back from Roland this morning (a helpful support chap in the UK I’ve dealt with before). He said he has tried it with GP and it works absolutely fine and suggests that I try to reinstall the VST. I have done this - but maybe I need to check that there are not older copies of the VST laying around.

What he said to do was as follows (fairly standard I would have thought):-1:

1. Make sure that the Integra 7 CTRL is not enabled within G.P

2. Insert the Integra vsti into a rackspace – with no connections at all.

3. Open the editor and go to the MIDI devices and set the editor I/O to be Integra CTRL

4. Go back to the configuration, created a MIDI OUTPUT device and set this to Integra 7 MIDI Output.

5. Connected the MIDI IN direct to the Integra 7 MIDI Out – this now enables you to Play the Integra alongside editing the synth.

6. You can also connect the audio I/O but that’s down to your setup needs.

7. I would try reinstalling the Editor – keeping all the default directory options.
    https://www.roland.com/uk/products/integra-7/downloads/

I will have a play to see if I can get it to work.

Thank you for the update - it still should not be crashing though so I hope the addresses we’ve given them would be helpful.

DHJ;

Thank-You for all your background work involving the ROLAND INTEGRA-7, their VST APP and the GP3 program. My ADK Laptop is in tip-top shape and I will begin testing and set up tommorrow. I am looking forward to being a more hands on contributor. Onward.
KB

dojon;

I also Thank-You for all your background work involving the ROLAND INTEGRA-7, their VST APP and the GP3 program. My ADK Laptop is in tip-top shape and I will begin testing and set up tommorrow. I am looking forward to being a more hands on contributor. Onward.
KB

Barry;

You are such a giant, and being able to reach out to a ROLAND Tech and have that kind of access and logical information is incredibly fortunate. ( Even If Common sensical) Thanks for the list/syntax of straight forward things to do when in set up mode too. (Which I will be in shortly)

Barry and in general thanks for all your background work involving the ROLAND INTEGRA-7, their VST APP and the GP3 program. My ADK Laptop is in tip-top shape and I will begin testing and set up tommorrow. I am looking forward to being a more hands on contributor. Onward.
KB

Be aware that such things as anti-virus programs, particularly those that do real-time file checking, may also break things.

I’ll be on the look out for those programs DHJ, thanks for the tip ! KB

Barry;
Thinking about order and sequence of 5 pin midi cable (via my BabyFace Pro) or USB 2.0 coming from my ROLAND A300 Pro controller into my ADK Laptop, I’m thinking the Computer and the GP3 is going to want to see the USB 2.0 more than the 5 pi MIDI via the BabyFace. Do you think? Thanks man… KB

Sorry Ken - but I cannot actually follow what you mean. Unless I am totally misunderstanding - you just plug in the cables as on page 10 of the Owners Manual.

Just to provide an update for Deskew:-

I had an ‘interesting’ day yesterday trying to persuade the pesky editor to work. I had some sucessess - but I’m still stuck with it crashing.

So - I uninstalled/ removed every piece of software or directory on my comptuter related to Integra-7. You might also be pleased to learn that I also took the opportunity to remove all remnants of my old Forte installation - as it really does not remotely compare to GP.

I downloaded another copy of the I-7 editor VST from another continent - in case the one on the Roland UK site was somehow wrong.

I installed this as before. But note that GP was REALLY reluctant to accept this as a valid VST3. I tried removing/reinstalling several times but it rejected it every time. I am not quite sure how I got it to accept it (sorry) but it suddenly did.

I added it to a rackspace and it installed. I had the problem again of it not showing the full user interface as before. (i.e. only top letf 75%). I tried the tricks I used last time to get it to work (i.e. changing resolution) etc. I also found a brand new screen driver which I installed - but it made no difference. After some fiddling around I discover that somehow in the dim and distant past that, presumably me, had changed the Windows screen mode to increase image size to 125%. I changed that back to the default of 100% - and now the I7 editor displays correctly…

I then added the in/out midi control channels (i.e. Integra-CTRL in/out) to the I7 editor VST on the new rackspace - and it crashed immediately as before.

If you the repeat the above by creating a new rackspace and then adding the I7 Editor VST - then it NOW crashes immediately this time (i.e. you do not have to set the midi channels to make it happen [it seems to have remembered them even though the rackspace was not saved)).

I have reported all this to the Roland Support guy in the UK. , Djogon suggest I gave him the name of the same support guy - so that Deskew could contact him directly. This I am happy to do - but not publicly.

So I’ll try and send this via the GP messaging system

Barry

Thanks @bjgee for your detailed reports, but this is really a plugin specific issue. We do not need the contact at Roland if you contacted them and gave them the info we collected.
I hope it proves useful to them, but short of that there is really not much we can do on our end.

Barry;

I initially had 1 hour worth of crashing the system trying to make the INTEGRA 7 work as a sound card or VST with ROLANDS software on WIN 10. So, I went the straight MIDI route and it is working in GP3. I’ll explain below.

Even though I’m at a very “freshman” level with GP3, just from my initial 1st interaction with GP3 & my ROLAND INTEGRA-7, it is working great in my “live” gigging system. The REASON: I am ONLY controling it thru MIDI via GP3 and not trying to use it as a sound card. ( I think thats the way to describe it, and that’s where the problem is.)

My RME BabyFace PRO handles all the other “real” VST’s & Audio for my ADK Laptop computer. It functions as a sub-mixer, The BabyFace PRO then feeds Channels 5/6 in my QSC TouchMix8. The Balanced outs of the INTEGRA 7 “directly” feed the QSC Channels 7/8. ( Old style analog right?)

Once I sort out how to send midi Program Changes or Midi CH changes correctly from GP3 to the Integra 7 I’ll have the unit under control for live performance. I have 3 25
note controllers in the system. I swiched the INTEGRA 7 back to “Generic Midi” setting in system for the time being. (Instead of VENDOR in system)

Thank-You for all your help. It’s all going to be great, just a little work around.
Thanks–Ken Boome

djogon;
I got my INTEGRA 7 working fine via old fashioned midi control via GP3. See my post to Barry for the inside story. Trying to make it work “like a VST” with ROLANDS software was fatal at everystep. It’s all going to work out fine as my RME BabyFace Pro handles all my real VST audio as a sub mixer. Integra 7 audio goes direct into QSC8 “main” gig/rig mixer. Thank-you for such great feedback and help and concern. Ken Boome

Just for info - I don’t use my I7 as a sound card either - although you can. I use a Scarlett 6I6 for producing audio.

Barry

Barry;
I followed all the VSTi set up steps ROLAND offers, I had Chris Ludwig there helping me whom is a bonifide DAW Software genius. “CL” has seen every senario in the book and knows what to, how to, etc… like you would trouble shoot. And it crashed every 6.5 minutes as we followed protocol. It might be interesting to see if your UK ROLAND person had written up his protocol. (right? he says the sound card function works?) Anyways I know I am going to get PC/CC info to work from GP3, so I am tickled pink. GP3 is written so well. Thanks again Barry.

Ken - I’ve passed your comments on to Roland so that they know it is not just me having problems.

Can I please ask how you use your I7. i.e. Do you use it just for playing individual sounds (e.g. piano, or piano+strings etc) or do you use it to play midi file backing tracks (i.e. lots of sound playiing in multiple tracks) or both.

I also select sounds using program change numbers - but I do it by selecting the individual instrument using their name rather than their PC number using a Sonar Instrument Definition File (eg. ‘GrandPiano 1’ - not 23, 10, 4).

Is that of interest - if so I could create a dummy rack to givey you some idea of what it does and how it works.

ALL: How can I attach rack files or better still .ZIP files to messages - if so how? If not - whats the best way of distributing files.

I don’t know if you are talking from a private message or from a post, but it is the same. When editing your message, the upwards arrow icon is for downloads.

Hi Barry;

Being that I am a Freshman GP3 user, I am using my INTEGRA7 for just individual sounds. (NOT Midi File Play back) I had been using the STUDIO SET protocol where there is a different sound on each midi channel 1–16. ( Now I got to get GP3 to handle that)
My BabyFace Pro handles all 5 pin midi from the ROLAND A300pro controller which hits GP3 inside the computer. The AKAI ADVANCE25 & MPKmini are USB in computer and hit GP3.
Your SONAR definition file sounds interesting.“but” I need to find a simpler way to call up sounds via PC within GP3. Sometimes I use a different 88 note controller, so I have to figure out what sounds if any I am going to layer and a consistant way to control the volume of the layer Barry. Maybe with my YAMAHA FC7 pedal etc.
I would like to find some little but sophisticated controller box with knobs/faders and program changes to have control all the GP3 stuff so no matter what 88 controller i am using Iv’e got it always covered on the live gig.
Thanks Barry and onward we go into succesful GP3 land!
KB

Hi Ken,

Controlling Integra-7 Studio Sets is easy: Add an Integra-7 (not Integra-7 CTRL) midi output to a rackspace. And set it as follows - this example sets Studio Set 62 (i.e. 1 more than the program change number) into the I7. So just change the PC number to change the Sudio Set.

I would do this by having a different Gig Performer rackspace (i.e. 64 of them) each with a different setting of PC between 0-63 - then using Program Change on my keyboard to select the required rackspace.