Problem with Roland Integra-7 Module

Barry;
Thank-you tons!
This latest post on (Program Changing) ROLAND Integra7 Studio Sets is extremely helpful, I am going to implement that immediately. ( As was your distinction on (not Integra-7 CTRL)

Barry Advice Please: OK I see your sending program changes via your midi keyb/contrl. Thats great & convienient. I use different Keyboard controllers from time to time & I have been reviewing small MIDI Controller Boxes from the Berhinger X-Touch mini, Midi Fighter Twister, & X-Touch compact etc… Since my time is so intensely precious about going down learning funnels w/ products that work but have a few caveats-- I’m looking at the “B” X-touch compact as a nice laid out, & great on visual feedback, by directional and the motor faders would be excellent for DrawBars etc. Any Opinions?

I first considered the Behringer, but I finally chose the Icon Platform M+ with its DU LCD. Unfortunately it has no knobs surrounded by LED rings, but the two lines LCD display brings enough possibilities to display the knob values. It is more compact and Icon made the effort to fix some issues for using it with GP. But for displaying something on the screen GP script is mandatory.

Hi Ken,

I am pleased you are making progress wit the Integra-7.

I am really not the person to ask about things like controllers and multiple racks - there are people on this forum far better suited to such matters than me - and they are usually very willing to help.

One thing to say though - if you are using multiple rigs then there is a facility in GP designed just for that purpose called imaginatively called the’ rig manager’. I have never used it and have no reason to - but others have am I am sure will advise you if you define your problem.

Barry

Barry;
Thanks for that MIDI out Module diagram and posting your settings. I discovered my “StudioSet” MSB/LSB set up settings I had in my Integra 3 ring binder folder.

So right now my A300pro (controller MIDI OUT) is just passing to BF Pro Midi IN & then the BabyFace Pro is funneling Midi out data to GP3. The Babyface Pro is passing MIDI out Data to my INTEGRA7 (Midi IN). Those INTEGRA7 Balanced audio outs go to my final stage mixer QSC TM8.

I have to un-check Map All incoming midi data. And the same with PC & Bank Select. But Barry this screen print was extremely helpful. ( I am refering back to it)

My current Integra7 StudioSet PC is #18. By not checking the boxes (right now) The A300 Cntrl -(when I turn the Midi ch knob) switches to a different patch on each of the 16 midi channels. This the “OLD” way I had been using it etc.

I think I am going to have to set up the INTEGRA7 to be on a “set” midi channel ( like your doing) . I am alot closer, but not yet up to replicating your example. I’m close.

On a very positive note: I think I discovered a MIDI controller box that is goig to work perfectly for my performance needs. It came out in 2018. SL StudioLogic MixFace. I talk about it on another thread.

Barry–I’ll keep up with your example above and have a report on your desk shortly!
Thanks a ton Barry for your help.
KB

Barry;

OK some Integra 7 FeedBack please if you got some left (Hah!) ? So I have been operating my I7 on a STUDIO SET which I created in SLOT #18. I have set up my MIDI OUT page just like you in your diagram to me on Jan 9th, 2020 .

Intellectually I understand what your doing.( I only have 18 studio sets set up-as the rest are blank.) 19 thru 64.
BACK TO THE GP3.6 MIDI OUT Box
I leave MIDI Channel on 1 with no check mark. ( Check mark stops midi for some reason)
I Check Program Change Box which has “1” ( & MSB 85 + LSB “0” Box) I put in “19” in “PC” and as soon as I toggle the “+” and “-” button the front of the INTEGRA 7 changes to " 0000 " .

The #18 STUDIO SET I created is still playing though…And by changing midi channels 1 thu 16 on the conroller KB the sounds are selected on the Integra7.

BIG QUESTION: do you think I must have a MIDI IN/Receive turned off some where in the Integra7 .
Because I can’t get it to go to any other I7 STUDIO SET templates right now? ( That would be 1 thru 18)

The way I get Studio Set #18 to show is I set it up Manually at the begining.
Thanks Ken Boome

Hi Ken,

Sorry not to have replied before - but for some reason I only just saw this message. Let me have a play with my machine and I’ll get back to you.

If I have understood this then what you are saying is that you cannot get GP to change the studio set - you send out the change messages but it still stays on studio set 18.

Barry

Hi Ken,

I have created the attached GigFile rack which should change the I7 to the required Studio Set number. It works on my setup.

So if I send Prog Change 0 (i.e. the lowest program change number depending on whether you call it 0 or 1) from my Motif then it selectIntegra-7 StudioSetChangeTest.gig (30.1 KB) s the first GP rackspace and thereby in turn selects Studio Set 1 on the I7 (or you can just manually select the First Rackspace). Sending Prog 1 selects Studio Set 2 up to Prog Change 4 for Studio Set 5.

This works perfectly on my setup and I can select any of the first 5 I7 Studio Sets by pressing the appropriate registration presets on my Motif XS with no problems. As far as I am aware I have no midi feedback from the I7 or have in any way modified its setup.

Of course, I could have completely misunderstood.

Barry

Hi Barry;

Thanks again. I’ll open your GP Integra7 Set Change template in a bit. That should explain everything. At that point I will carefully create a report back to you. I’m either not completely understanding the GP3.6 Midi Out module or Have a Midi Receive in the I7 turned off. Thanks again Barry.
KB

Hi Barry;
I make this communication very short, cause I’m taking my wife to a concert.

“YES”!!! Success, it is communicating with my I7. ( Is there a possibility we could have a short phone call too ?) Here is what I had to do.
#1.) Change “your” MIDI In & Out block to “be my” MIDI In & Out block that reflects the RME Babyface Pro In & Out.
#2.) On the MIDI Out block I have to take out check mark off “route” all incoming midi to channel “1”. When I do this my ROLAND A300 pro controller “ENTER” knob then switches MIDI channels, which of course gives me diffrent sounds etc.
#3.) Then when I arrow down/up on the left side with your “Initialize Studio set 1 thru 5” I get a new Studio set.

Barry I will study the settings you made on your MIDI blocks thoroughly. thanks.

This is a good feeling as now I need to fugure out how I am going to trigger the Studio sets. I am still going thru trying different hardware controllers. That is some of the stuff I want to talk to you about. I might be over thinking this?

My cell/text is xxxxxxxxx, If you have 10 minues for a stimulating phone call where we are both in front of our machines etc…

Thank-You in advance. This is moving forward nicely now.
Sincerely and Musically
Ken Boome

Barry;

OK I have taken apart your RACKSPACE’s from the ROLAND Integra 7 Studio sets. Here is what I am getting from it.

#1a.) The RACKSPACE properties I understand. (Right under that is)

#1b.) “Default” Assign Program Change: This starts with a Check Mark & PC of “1”… And each of the subsiquaint RACKSPACES the default box PC increments by 1 each time which changes my INTEGRA7 to a new studio set? ( Or does it happen because of #2)

#2.) Then there is the “ORANGE” box labeled "Switch Integra7 ". Now that has the true midi#'s.( We are now 1 midi # off) For Studio Set 1 MIDI PC of “0”. MSB of 85 which keeps Integra7 on the Studio Set Banks.

#3.) Barry, The following is where it all doesn’t quite make sense for me. Barry, do you need

to have the right PC# in the DEFAULT area under each Initialize Studio set 1/2/3/4 and do you need the extra ORANGE midi out box in the RACKSPACE connections area, with the midi PC # and the MSB 85 .

#4.) Are both areas neccesary etc? (to keep the INTEGRA7 able to move to different studio sets)
Thanks Barry.

Hi Ken,

OK - so as I said before - I only play for fun - so I do not have access to (or interest in) the world of controllers or the best way of configuring equipment so that it will work as a professional will require. For that reason others on this forum really are in a far better position to advise. However, I do have an Integra-7 and I do have a good technical grasp of these matters - so can help with configuring GP to work with the I7.

So let me try to explain what all the components in the test rack actually do:-

1. As a general rule GP does not usually allow Prog Change messages into the racksace. These messages are used by GP itself to activate a rackspace. So the 5 lines on the left hand side are pointers to 5 different rackspaces. The numbers 1 to 5 are saying that when GP receives Prog Change messages 1-5 then activate/start the appropriate rackspace (1-5). So if your keyboard send Prog Change 2 then the rackspace called 'Initialize ‘Studio Set 2’ is started. The text is just that - it is just text and does nothing at all - it could easily have said ‘baked beans’. Note: This is a very simplistic explanation – many more options are available as GP is very flexible.

2. So we open the Rackspace called ‘Initialize Studio Set 2’ and look inside. At the top is a ‘Midi In Block’ which is a pointer to the midi data of your keyboard. It is very flexible: but basically allows you to define what midi channels (notes) are allowable and allows you to filter specific midi data. NOTE: You can actually have several midi input blocks pointing to the same input (keyboard) device. This seems illogical - but is very flexible. You could for example create ‘Midi In block 1’ which allows notes from midi channel 1 to only play from middle C up to the top of the keyboard and then add a second ‘Midi In Block’ pointing to the same keyboard and have this only accept notes from midi channel 2 (or even midi channel 1 again) - but this time only allow notes from below middle C to the bottom of the keyboard. The reason you would do this is that you could then direct the midi data from the individual Midi In Blocks to a different VST plug-in or midi out instrument. There is huge flexibility here. But what you have in our example is to allow any notes from any midi channel of the keyboard to pass into the rackspace.

3. This midi input block is passed directly to a midi output block ‘Midi Out (INTEGRA-7)’ - so that the notes you play on the keyboard are passed directl to the Integra-7 module. You are correct that the tick box about ‘Map all incoming midi to channel 1’ is not required - its just the way I do it and I never thought to remove it in the example (sorry for the confusion) . Ticking this box means that any midi data coming from the input block will be filtered if it not channel 1 (in this case).

4. The box labelled ‘Switch Integra- 7 Studio set’ is just another Midi output block identical to the one in 3) above (used for note etc. data). Except what this one does is ONLY output a Program Change messages necessary to switch the Integra-7 studio set. The reason there are 2 is that the message has to be output on channel 16 only to switch the studio set. NOTE: No direct input midi information is passed to this Midi Output block. So what happens is that when the rackspace is activated (by sending the appropriate Program Change message from the keyboard) - this Midi Output block sends its Program Change message to the the I7 telling it to switch its Studio Set. So I guess that if you don’t need to filter the note midi data to channel 1 then you could combine the two Midi Output Blocks into one block - which will simplify it.

So to summarise the sequence for this test rack is:
A) Send Program Change message (1-5) from the keyboard to the GP rack
B) GP uses this message to select one of the 5 rackspaces depending on the Program Change message C) GP activates the appropriate rackspace
D) GP activates the Midi Output blocks to send the any initialisation Program Change messages – in this case the Program change message from the midi output block called ‘Switch Integra-7 Studio’ is sent as part of the initialisation of the rackspace .
E) The appropriate Program Change message to the I-7 to change to the required studio set (ie Ch16 1,85,0).
F) From thereon only normal midi play messages go from the Midi Input Block (OMNI) directly to the Midi Output Block (Integra-7).

So to answer you question - steps the steps A-F could be simplified if you combined the 2 output blocks into one (I have no reason to believe it would not work). If I had thought about it more then I should have done this - but its what happens when you convert a much more complex real world rack into a simple example in a hurry - things get overlooked. For my own rack I do need to do it the way I suggested. But all requirements are different. More haste - less speed!!

Barry

Barry Thanks a ton… 2 things I’ll do

#1. ) See what happens If I get rig of the extra Midi OUT module
#2.) QUESTION: Is there a specific reason “systemic” to the INTEGRA7 that it uses Midi CH16 (specifically) to deliver the PC message via GP to the I7 unit.
Is it just easier to keep things “seperate” by useing the CH 16?

Thanks again Barry
Very clear communication!
KB

I’m not really sure what you mean - but the I7 requires channel 16 to for its system commands - so its not optional. I don’t think you need to keep anything separate - GP is extremely flexible and there are lots of diferent waysof achieving the same thing. Its whatever you feel comfortable with.

Barry

Just for information. I asked Roland UK for an update on the status of my request some months ago to look into the problems of the Integra-7 Editor crashing under Windows. I received a reply back to say that this had been passed to Roland Mission Control and that they would ‘remind’ them of the need to do something.

They asked for a GP contact in the hope it might get one of the Roland developers to reach out to GP to see what might be going on. I gave the contact as Nebojsa Djogo at 'info@gigperformer.com. I hope thats OK.

Barry