Problem with Roland Integra-7 Module

Not sure you know, but the latest version of GP does support the ability to exclude ports

DHJ;

Late last spring we were all talking about a work around for the ROLAND INTEGRA 7 being able to work with gig performer.

I think you just now wrote me, that there is a fix…?..

BTW, if there is, might you do PAID private consultation, so I can get up and running with a solid and clearer understanding
This is exciting if there is a new work around etc… Thanks again Ken Boome

Barry;

PianistDallas

PianistDallas

1m

DHJ;

Late last spring we were all talking about a work around for the ROLAND INTEGRA 7 being able to work with gig performer. Did you ever get your integra7 working properly with GP3?

Thanks again

Ken Boome

Hi PianistDallas,

did you see the new option to exlucde specific Midi ports?

When you uncheck for example IAC-Treiber IAC-Bus 1 Gig Performer will not use that port.

Hi PianistDallas,

The answer to the question is that I did get the Integra-7 working successfully with GP3 (windows) - but not using the Roland VST software.

The Roland software did require the guys at Deskew to allow GP3 to not take control of all the midi ports as stated above (i.e. not the Integra-7 CTRL port.

They said they would do it - but I could not wait for anything to happen and it required a ‘Plan B’. To their credit Deskew crew said they would look into it - but not when or if it might happen. I have had problems with developers saying they might do things in the past and 5 years later nothing has happened. This lot are a pretty reputable bunch - and I am pleased that they delivered what that said and in a reasonable time - so all credit to them (and thanks – I will use it one day). I have no reason to believe that the suggested fix will not work with the Roland software - although I have not tried it.

My solution was to use the free Reaper ‘reacontrolmidi’ vst plugin - which allows you to use INS files to select instruments by name and also send user events like volume (you can select up to 5) . This solution is Windows only as a Mac version is not available even though I believe Reaper runs on a Mac.

Because reacontrolmidi was designed to work in a different type of environment than GP - it doesn’t quite work reliably. However, I created script which does sort all the known issues out and it does seem to work reliably. For info - I also use it to allow GP to control the internal sounds of my Motif-XS - in this case there is a slight delay until the Motif changes the sound - so the script includes a user selectable delay to give it time.

I only play for fun - so it doesn’t matter if things don’t work reliably. But I have to say that in 9 months I have not seen it fail.

Barry

Hi Barry;

So good to hear from you, and also How & What you did to make it work for you. This is inspiring as it is exciting. Especially for those of us that use the INTEGRA 7. It’s
good to know the support for Windows APPS is so strong. I have a very customized ADK WIN Laptop. So I am in good company on that front. PianoPaul; just posted a comment about DESKEW developing a new option to exclude specific MIDI-PORTS etc. So Barry, is this the “FIX” by the DESKEW team you were talking about in your POST that was fairly timely on their part etc??
** It sounds to me like I’ll be able to use the Roland VST APP with this now DESKEW modification etc? Do you think that is correct? I’m not sure YET if I should use the USB option for getting MIDI data from Roland A300 Pro controller or the 5PIN DIN option back thru my BabyFace Pro etc? If you have a strong opinion on that let me know please. This week I will start studying the hell out of GP3 etc… All the best from Dallas and myself. PS: I do rely on gigs for income so it is imperative that my set up work “all the time”… Honestly Barry, Iv’e been a little gun shy and protective of my time since buying GP3 and reading the GP Posts. Especially about what seems not to be working. So time to get going. Thanks barry for the clear and consise communication. KB

SO HERE IS WHAT PianoPaul posted, “the new option to exlucde specific Midi ports”?

To be correct,

all checked midi ports are visible to Gig Performer

So, in your case, if you want to use the Integra VST, you have to uncheck the Integra-7 CTRL MIDI devices from the GP MIDI devices list.

PianoPaul;

This is great news, and a ton of thanks for the clear distinctions. Iv’e got this now…
KB

David;

Much appreciatted advice and please Chime In anytime on anything else related and associatted in me getting the ROLAND APP VST communication with the ROLAND Integra7 and GP3 etc… I’ll be hitting the GP3 books hard finally starting this week…
All the Best
KB

PianoDallas - I don’t think you need to have concerns in using GP - its rock solid.

Anyway - I thought I might have a go at getting the Integra-7 editor working (in order to help) - but I fell at the first hurdle. I added the Roland Integra-7 VST to a new rack and it loaded OK. The only problem is that for some strange reason when I open it I cannot see the whole of its user interface - just the top left hand 3/4. Unfortunately I need the top right to set the midi channels. I know this was a problem in the past and has been fixed. I occasionally still get this in some VSts - but usually after opening/closing the user interface it works perfectly for ever more. But not the Roland one…

I tried it on another computer (my desk top machine which has GP on it ) and it displays perfectly. I have reinstalled the VST on the laptop. I tried the OpenGL renderer on the laptop and that just gave weird results and I had to go back to the software renderer.

So does anyone have any suggestions on how I might get it to display correctly please.

I think you should be sure you have the very last version of the VST and send a bug report to Roland.

Does it change something when you change the screen resolution?

Thats interesting - I changed the resolution to a lower one - but it made no diference. I changed it back to what it was before and I still can longer see the entire Roland VST window - but it now has scroll bars on the side of the VST window and I can move it around in the window. Dunno what happened there …

Thanks for the advice …

Be sure your OS is updated, and you installed all hardware drivers specific to your laptop hardware (I hereby suppose your OS is Windows). You shouldn’t get weird results when activating the OpenGL display renderer if you have the right display drivers installed.

Well it is Win 10 - and as far as I know every driver that was requested to be installed by Microsoft or HP was installed - so it should be at the very latest version - certainly HP don’t seem to want to install anything else. Anyway - I have no intention of going on a goose chase to resolve this - its worked fine for 2 years with GP and would seem OK. Just remember I was trying to help out someone else to install something I don’t actually need myself - as my solution is fine.

But just for informaton (after the resolution changes) - when I do set the Roland VST to Integra-7 CTRL (as I can now do it) and as I believe is required - it actually crashes GP (and yes - I have disabled the midi port in GP). If I try reloading that rack after restarting GP - then it crashes it again. If I create a new rack and just add the Roland VST then it crashes GP. I also tried re-installing the Roland VST. So I am not sure that I can go any further. I can forward the crash dump if you want.

Yes - please send the crash report when the window pops up, make sure you put in your email address and description so we can find it easier and let us know that you’ve submitted it.
We’ll then take a look and see if we can find something.

OK - I sent you a crash dump with Integra-7 in the title. All I did was start with a new instance of GP; created a new rack; said to add the Roland VST 3 to the rack - and it crashed GP at this point.

Got the crash report. Unfortunately it is nothing within GP. Your Roland Integra-7 is crashing

22%20AM

I suggest you contact Roland about it. They will need the following information to debug the issue:

ExceptionAddress: 0x7ffb13e8aa26
ExceptionModule: C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\Roland\INTEGRA7EDITORV2\INTEGRA7EditorVer2(x64).vst3
ExceptionModuleBase: 0x7ffb13e60000

Hope this helps them.

Thanks - I’ve contacted Roland with the information - but whether I will actually get through to the correct section is debateable as they hide their staff very well.

Hi Barry;

Man, a huge thanks in advance of all the trouble shooting your doing. If I go back to the top of this thread I read That you have have 2 instances of GP3 running 1 on your desktop & the other on your HP Laptop. It appears that the GP3 is working w/ INTEGRA7 (& VST APP) on your desktop but not your Laptop right?

There was some other information that seems to be helpful too from David-san and Djogon that will be helpful. When we get to this kind of complexity I usually turn stuff over to Chris Ludwig–the old systems anaylst for ADK Music computers. He keeps my Laptop humming and buzzing along.

The most important thing I think for me to understand is that: ( At This Point) “according to my understanding” it’s working on your WIN10 Desktop and not your Laptop. That’s the way I am reading and understanding your post.

Again Barry---- Thanks Big-time
As i feel the INTEGRA is one of the most musically expressive synths created !!!
Ken Boome