I was convinced that my issues had to do with the settings in my audio device and tried to resolve the problems by trying all kinds of different combinations. This since almost all my searches for popping and clicking audio referred to audio device settings.
By coincidence, however, I reconnected the usb audio interface directly to the computer instead of through the usb hub and the popping and clicking is gone. So the issue had nothing do do with the audio device settings as it seems, but rather to the connection of my audio interface (I use a iRig Keys I/O with built in audio interface for live use).
Is it the speed of the usb hub that is insufficient to handle the amount of data trasferred between the computer and the audio interface? Or is it the fact that other usb devices (2 keys controllers, usb mouse, keyboard) are connecterd to the same usb hub, and conflicting somehow?
Another issue i had (causing GP to crash quite frequently) seemed to be related to virtual memory. At the time i only had 8GB of ram and my gig files were much larger than that. For some reason Windows had chosen to set the paging file to be stored on my larger (but considerably slower) hdd drive instead of the main ssd drive. Changing the location for the paging file resolved the issue.
Maybe there are other guides for these kinds of problems that i did not find? If not, it would be helpful with articles about usb connection related issues as well as virtual memory settings. My knowledge about these things is limited, so i cant really do it.
In any case i wanted to share, in case others experience similar problems. In my case I purchased a new ssd seconday drive as well as 64 GB of RAM which perhaps was not entirely necessary…
I can’t speak to having a mouse and keyboard attached, but in my live rig, I have four keyboard controllers, a MIDI pedalboard, my audio interface (RME), occasionally a control surface, all connected to my laptop via a powered USB hub. Never had an issue.
Yes, memory usage. Loading the entire gig file took a long time (several minutes) often with a crash during the process. When using predictive loading I had frequent crashes when cwitching from one rackspace to another. Log files indicated some specific plugins caused the crashes (although not the same each time). I suppose due to problems reading from virtual memory, since changing the location of the swap file to the ssd removed the crashes. A bit hard to know exactly, since I also swapped the hdd for another ssd and increased the RAM. With the page file on the ssd made a huge difference in both loading time and stability
No difference between one or the other for the use of controllers.
However, the most important thing about the hub is its power supply, which must be greater than the sum of the currents of all the connected devices.
I have not checked the power rating on the hub, i know that it is a cheap one though. Also have not tested a second hub, but connecting the audio interface directly to the computer instead of through the hub solved the problem, so I’m pretty sure that the hub has something to do with the issue.
What i mean is that there should be plenty of digital information sent between the computer and the audio interface through usb (sound generated in the computer must be sent as digital information to yhe interface through usb). This audio nformation should be lots more than the midi signals from the controllers.
This would imply that a simple stereo signal (or maybe some channels more) should be properly handled by any USB-Device… don’t worry too much about bandwidth issues if you are not using really extreme values.
Things to actually worry about are: the power supply of USB devices and the buffer size of the audio interface/driver