My custom 2u PC live rig

Thats cool im just saying that u dont need thunderbolt unless you are using alot of ins and outs. There are plenty of videos on youtube explaining this not just rme. I nearly went the rme pcie route in my rig trying to chase the best possible performance but after having a few lengthy calls with the rme rep he told me bassically the audiofaces are that good now with the conversion that you can go either way. Any audio interface from a thousand dollars up is going to do the job. You are better off making your pc quicker.

And yes i agree thunderbolt ports are faster but the audio travels the same in usb 2 but the bandwidth is what u are getting better in thunderbolt interfaces

Is that really true? Are there double-blind experiments that validate this?

@pangea2003 u need an axe fx

really?
wellā€¦ ask Trey Gunn the same question :wink:
See this Instagram photo by @gigperformer

thatā€™s why iā€™m gonna put GP at itā€™s paces this Summer as soon as my new quantum arrives
and then, iā€™ll get back to you on thisā€¦

iā€™m using a kemper amp by the way

thanks

wrong

yes :wink:

Yeah, Trey was using Fractal Axxe for several years but he moved to Gig Performer recently and seems to be really happy with it. We were on tour in May and everything he was doing seemed identical to what he used to do with Axxe except that he commented that he had way more flexibility. The guitarist in that band is using a Kemper system but weā€™re hoping he will also move to GP soon.

2 Likes

Can you point me at some of them please?

yup!
what about me to start with??

as i said, i donā€™t know how much that affects keyboards
but to my ears, multiple A/D D/A conversions destroy guitar tone

i normally use plug ins to add fx to my guitar and for looping
i add fx before the amp, between the preamp and the power amp, and after the amp + cab depending on the situation
summing all the signals to achieve a good phase matching is tricky
latency is a big problem as well for playing guitar through digital devices
thatā€™s why my dry signal is not negotiable and i monitor always straight from my kemper into a mixer

I normally converts my signal only once, do all the processing and routing within the digital realm, then split and sum all the signals together on an analog mixer

in my experience I get way better results this way

yes, itā€™s not that convenient
but things are changing luckily so thereā€™s no need for big racks anymore

have you ever tried to sum 32 analog signals in a single rack space? :blush:

http://www.davelectronics.com/Passivemixamp.htm

Without double-blind tests, results are going to be biased because you know what youā€™re hearing.

Thatā€™s right! In another context, I even know people who have changed their mind after knowing what they chose in a double-blind test. :upside_down_face:

I guess I am particularly denseā€¦ how are you hearing this in ear mix if there are no outputs connected? I do understand you wouldnā€™t route it to the initial main FOH outs, but youā€™d have to send it out again somewhere so you can hear it correct? And what are you doing with this mixā€¦ just turn it up or down?

@LilyM

I use a Behringer XR18 as keyboard submix, input for my microphone and guitar, as well as the audio interface for my rackmount PC. I use the aux outputs in the following configuration to FOH.

1: Main Vocal (mono)
2: Vocoder (mono)
3: Keys Left
4: Keys Right
5: Guitar Left
6: Guitar Right

With GP, I have a widget set up for every rackspace that routes assignable button 2 on my top keyboard (Roland Fantom X7) to the mute for AUX 1. This is so I can mute my microphone to FOH so that it can be routed to a vocoder with no vocal bleed over. Also, sometimes itā€™s just nice to be able to quickly mute/unmute my own microphone.

Love, love LOVE the XR18.

X

1 Like

Going out thru your heaphone port which is another output with a stereo 1/4 or 3.5 to splitter of your choice to either a wired belt pack or wireless system. This is another reason why multiple outputs are greatšŸ‘

@pangea2003 sorry mate it was kinda a joke about the axe fx, i know gp can do it all its just a little more set up involved. I hope u get the result you are after

1 Like

ok that makes senseā€¦ I guess maybe it is a language barrierā€¦ you had said no output connectedā€¦ but obviously the headphone port is an output.

And the advantage of that is you can control the volume in Totalmix?

@xpansion very cool.

I guess I am just way more old school and have different performance needs than most everyone here. Iā€™m just a keyboard player, donā€™t do any vocoding, not mixing my own vocals, etcā€¦ the music I play is pretty free form, improvisational. definitely donā€™t have specific sounds lined up for songs and so on.

I use GP just to give me virtual various keyboard setups. With the touch of a button I have a dual manual B3, or a Rhodes with Prophet 5, G Piano and single manual B3, Clav w/ Mini and so onā€¦ controllers on keyboards are mapped appropriately for each configurationā€¦ rather than use variations as suggested to say change chorusā€¦I have a knob assigned to chorus and just reach up adjust chorus to how I want it. As mentioned before, with a max of two button pushes I can access 128 different set up/sounds, all imminently tweakable as the situation demands.

GP/my laptop simply goes into my Yamaha CP300 and everything comes out of the stereo xlrs on the CP300.to FOH. Pretty simple yet amazingly complexā€¦clearly not to mostā€™s liking, but works wonderfully for me We donā€™t have a road crew, so a lot of.it also has to do with ease of setup and and transport (as absurd as it is to be to be hauling a CP300 aroundā€¦ hahahaā€¦)

1 Like

@David-san

Unfortunately they donā€™t sell that 10" in the US. I contacted the company and they said that they arenā€™t certified with the FCC. The good news is I found this alternative. Once I get through with my new rackmount build project, Iā€™ll probably switch to this one.

X

good to see a lot of interest in rack mount pcs I think this the best way to get performance that is affordable and you can upgrade whenever you want without buying a whole new MacBook Pro. (just a dig a apple users) :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like