My custom 2u PC live rig

@dhj Right, that makes total sense. I have to do the balancing myself… and it is what is for FOH. But I suppose when you are that level with your own sound guys, carrying around a big box interface with more functionality than needed isn’t as big a deal as it is for someone like me.

I still have hardware keys in my setup but have no need to send them through the laptop. But yeah I understand there are certainly circumstances where inputs would be required. Just figured there might be some, who like me, just need a DAC really, with however many outputs.

@onkeyz yeah that didn’t clear it up for me haha So you are sending stereo out to FOH, output from your Babyface. Your monitor guy is sending you your monitor mix which you route back into laptop/computer through the two balanced inputs on Babyface? Then you are able to balance that against your keys yourself in total mix… then this goes out again though Babyface to your in ears? Is that correct? And you don’t get timing issues with that?

No the send i get back thru the balanced inputs is not routed out thru my main outs as this would create a loop which of course would not be ideal. Totalmix has brilliant routing and is one of the many pluses of having a rme interface. Think of it as having two analog mixing desks for your rig one for your keys to plug into and feed out to foh and another mixer just to recieve your in ear mix and no outputs connected.

There is no latency with routing in totalmix only if i was to send the input signal from the monitor back out there would be slight latency, but we are not doing this

Ah, thank you but 10" is really tiny for me.
I’m looking for something portable but not so small…

Something like these two:

https://store.hp.com/app/pdp/hp-elitedisplay-s14-14-inch-portable-display

Referable a touch screen so I could work directly on GP and not having to use Lemur + saving tones of time on mapping and re-mapping controls…

Another great feature of using little desktops is that we could even use more than one screen and place it wherever we want (e.g. stage floor for monitoring, mic stand for control… etc…)

Thanks!

I have just been checking the remote desktop feature with my surface now
but the latency is huge… not usable for controlling parameters in real time in my opinion…
Thanks

I have heard many great things about the quantum
I play guitar so I’m looking for an ultra-low latency thunderbolt interface
I don’t think there’s another thunderbolt interface with the features of the quantum at that price point…

I was considering an RME digiface USB to interface everything else on my rig
but i wasn’t sure if their USB protocol would pair with the quantum’s speed
the digiface doesn’t have wordclock and/or SRC capabilities
So I have ordered the quantum now…

I’ll let you guys know if it’s as fast as people rave online…
It doesn’t have a firmware mixer such as the rme totalmix
So I just hope GP will kill it in that regard! :sunny:

Thanks!

That’s what I witnessed too. For me, using OSC communication instead of remote desktop worked much better. Not sure which OSC apps are available for the Surface though…

1 Like

Thanks, so Lemur and the Ipad is the way to go with GP I guess…
I’ll look for a normal and portable screen just for monitoring GP and the Ipad for control then…

Thanks

I get zero latency u must be doing something wrong

1 Like

Are u connecting via ethernet and do u have win 10 pro on both pc

Why do u need thunderbolt are u using heaps of ins and outs

windows 10 pro on my nuc hades
but the surface has a lighter version of windows
it’s def not the pro version…
i’m also using a belkin ethernet dongle connected to the usb 3 port of the surface
so that’s maybe the culprit…

thanks

I don’t play keys, I play guitar through the computer…
I need the fastest interface i can get at quantum speeds!
Thanks

You need pro on both pcs to use remote deskop and i have used on different pcs and its flawless with absolutely no lag otherwise i would not use it

1 Like

Its not faster thunderbolt it just has more bandwidth

alright, it’s good to know then
thanks

nevertheless, I find the ipad a better touch screen than my surface though
but i’m pretty sure a portable thunderbolt touch screen for windows will be released any time soon…

thanks!

Maybe, but it’s still convenient to plug all your hardware into a single audio interface, even if you’re just routing it directly to FOH. It’s also useful to be able to use Gig Performer (say) to control the volume of your hardware synths.

thunderbolt ports are millions times faster than usb ports
don’t get confused with the bandwidth (that’s the typical manufacturer’s smoke curtain…)
thunderbolt is connected directly to the PCI bus and that’s the secret of it’s performance
USB wasn’t designed for audio i’m afraid and it’s been always a pain in the a…
RME designs the best usb driver for audio (pure magic) but their pci cards outperform the USB interfaces… the same with thunderbolt…
it’s still true that thunderbolt audio uses a very small bandwidth through the port but the communication is way faster than usb, and it’s path is not shared and interrupted like the usb ports… etc.

what about an analog line mixer for that??
I dislike all those convoluted unnecessary extra A/D D/A conversions
I’m not sure for keyboards, but for guitars that method just destroys your tone…