MIDI crossover

Omnisphere has this wonderful ability to create MIDI crossfades, useful for both sound design but also keys/bass splits.

It’s the latter i use it for, i send one signal to the main out and one to a bass amp.

Now, if i use the sounds in omnisphere/keyscape/trillian i can do is within omnisphere i obviously dont need a solution in Gig Performer, but I do need a solution in “natively”. Its no problem creating a hard split using the MIDI In plugin, but i havent found a way to do a crossfade, either via midi or audio.

Any ideas how to go about such a case?

There has been a solution to this for years. Just create two widgets, group them together and invert the scaling curve for one of them.
Then map the widgets to two volume faders, each fader associated (obviously) with a different sound.

Thanks for the reply. I must have misunderstand your suggestion, this does not create a crossfade between the two sources.

Skjermbilde 2024-01-28 kl. 17.01.07

See if this helps you:

Did you invert the scaling curve for one of the the widgets?
screenshot_7944

screenshot_7945

Link: How to add a widget to a Widget Link group?

Yes, i’ve inverted the scales and the two knobs are both in Widget Link A.

There is obviously something i’m missing since you guys are insisting this is the way. This does not create a crossfade between instrument A and B, nor give me the same level of control of where the split happens and how long the fade should be, in other words, like the solution in shown in the top post.

Skjermbilde 2024-01-28 kl. 17.28.39

OK - there’s two different things going on here.

The two widgets with cross-fading is not doing the automation part — it’s just providing the mechanism to cross-fade between the two items (or indeed any two parameters)
As for where the spit happens, you control that by fine-tuning those scaling curves to suit your needs.

If you want that cross-fade to be automatic then you need a way to trigger the widgets (one of them since they’re grouped) and the suggestion from @edm11 is the way to do that.

Okey, i see, and i think we are talking past each other, or that you didnt read the original post past the word crossfade. You seem to think I need the two instrument to start fading from one to another at a specific point in time, or just playing a mix of two sounds at some ratio, like 70/30.

I’ll try to be clear(er):

There is no need for an event that crossfades anything, nor a mixer. There are two sounds playing at the same time, at all times, but they have different ranges, and they have different start points where they start to fade, ie a crossfade.

1. Sound A is a Wurl spanning, for instance, C1-C8. The range i set in the MIDI In plugin. From C2-C1 (or whatever) the audio gradually gets softer. This is the part i’m looking for a solution for.
  2. Sound B is a bass spanning C-2 - C2. From C1-G1 the audio gradually gets softer.

A volum knob that detects what midi note is playing and adjusting accordingly is one way to accomplish this, but it sounds like a lot of work…

Is this what you’re looking for?

This is promising! If i only knew it was called autofade :slight_smile:

I’ll try and read up on GPscripting on how to control the script. The problem with us GUI addicted users is that scripting quickly becomes a hurdle with too high a threshold to mount. It’s probably worth it though, and I’m amazed that @dhj simply thought about it for a while and wrote it. That kind of fluidity in a language is awesome!

I suppose an inelegant clueless (me!) way to do this is create (let’s say) 10 midi in blocks with adjacent key ranges (small, one or two notes, I guess) with a widgets controlling the volume for each one and have the volume a bit different for each widget in the manner you are seeking. (You can then hide the widgets).

It ain’t stupid if it works! Nothing wrong with brute force once in a while :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m glad that’s close to what you’re looking for. As far as @dhj goes, he is a co-founder of GP and has a remarkable wealth of knowledge.

It’s worth taking the time to learn some scripting. It expands the use of GP in very specialized and unique ways.

2 Likes

I didn’t even remember that I wrote that

2 Likes

It’s a hard knock life, man. Still, thank you for your effort! I’m a musicologist and trained musician, i can sight read and transcribe music with ease - we all have our thing. Programming is not my thing, but i’ll give it a try. For now i’ll have to use Omnisphere but there is light in the end of the tunnel!

You shouldn’t have to do any programming – just use the scriptlet!