License expired

What a “nice” surprise I had yesterday evening.

After two months I took my live rig to play in small club (during rehearsal I am using stationary computer in my home studio).
This damn thing (Gig Performer) did not started, as “License expired”. It was fully activated (like I wrote above I was using my live rig two months ago).

Now - I know one damn company that is “securing” their plugins in that way - if the machine will not “call home” for longer than a month, you have to register the software again.
Is that the same in case of Deskew? Do I have to stupidly keep my live rig online to avoid another surprise? Really hope not.

This is really not funny. I was able to play, just because a friend of mine lend me his Marshall (in few moments was bit tricky without effects, but somehow I managed to play the set).

Best,
Miro

Gig Performer doesn’t phone home or require you to be online (only some plugins can require/do that).

The only time I’ve seen users experience the GP licence issue is when their OS has had an update.

Are you using the PA version of Gig Performer or the one directly purchased from Deskew?

Hi rank,
thank you for very fast reply. I did not have any OS updates. My live rig once set up is disconnected completely (bluetooth, wi-fi and network are switched off). I am doing so, to avoid any unexpected changes or interferences.
And my rig is pretty simple: rack with MacBook and audio interface and MIDI floor controller (plus two frfr-108 monitors from Headrush). Suppose to be idiot-proof setup :slight_smile:

Purchased directly from Deskew.

What version of GP are you using and what MacOS version? Is it an M1?

MacOS - Big Sur 11.6.2, Intel i7 (MacBook Pro, late 2013)
Gig Performer 4.1.5 (I was upgrading it around Christmas, I believe)

Honestly, I did not look at the logs yet (on my MacBook).
Must check that. Shall also investigate, if someone in the club did not touch something out of curiosity.

Important is, I am calmed now with rank’s statement, that GP does not play ET and is not calling home :wink:

1 Like

Sorry to disagree but there’s no magic here — the only way GP will require a reactivation is when something changes on your machine — it could be an automatic OS update, security update, change in hard drive, an anti-virus update (unlikely but possible) etc. You may have had automatic updates enabled and they ran while GP was still on so you wouldn’t notice until you quit GP and tried to run it again.

As musicians ourselves, we deliberately designed the licensing system so that it does not phone home under normal circumstances, precisely to avoid the risk of an activation issue during a show. Once it’s activated it stays activated until something changes on your system.

If you never connected to the internet, GP would run happily forever!

dhj - I know my machine is offline, zero changes, but sure, I also know you always know better, LOL

I will never argue with you. Have a nice Sunday :slight_smile:

@firstmiro

Are you sure you licensed GP correctly?

Big Sur 11.6.2 came out in December. So if you updated to GP 4.1.5 at/around the same time, it could be related. Were you using it well after this e.g. in January this year?

Seriously, according to support tickets, when this happen, the investigation always show that something happened to the system.

Once activated, Gig Performer will never ask you for activation, provided that your system don’t change (i.e. background updates).

This is one of the reasons why we compiled various tips into a guide that will help people prepare their macOS computers for the stage. See here: [blog] Optimize your Mac for a gig

P.S.

What happened to this computer?
Link: 30-40 seconds load time - Cory Wong plugin - #16 by firstmiro

3 Likes

He knows at least better which info is supposed to be used by the GP licensing system. And he also knows that if anything changed the licensing system would be happy. The question is not to understand or accept that something changed in you computer, but to find out what such that it doesn’t happen again, as I understand it is a bad surprise… :grimacing:

Why not, I do it all the time :wink:

3 Likes

I can confirm :joy:

2 Likes

So? What is the solution. My license suddenly expired too. When I tried to activate GP tells me that I cannot have a third license (that figures, because I allready licensed it twice).
How to fix this? I want to continue with my projects…
HELP!
I am on a Mac M1 Pro and Ventura

Did you have an OS update?

You can have three activations with a single license.

If you ran out of activations, please create a support ticket.

Link: Support : Deskew Technologies, LLC

I am not really sure, but that could be the case…

You should deactivate your license before an OS update