Hesitation to purchase GP 4

The best is, you are chatting with one of Gig Performer developers :slight_smile:

This is also one of the examples where an update cause a macOS issue (not the host, not the plugins, but the system itself) ā†’ DNS resolution fails due to an mDNSResponder bug on latest Ventura

And this tip and more other tips you can find here: https://gigperformer.com/optimize-your-mac-for-a-gig/

3 Likes

Thanks

I forgot about that - Iā€™m still having problems with that despite having updated that particular machine to the latest Ventura. Imagine using a plugin that requires an internet connection for license checking, only to discover that one canā€™t even connect to the internet without performing that work around!

2 Likes

Currently at Ventura 13.4 Is this the problematic update?

The Mac Mini with Ventura came with Ventura (itā€™s recent vintage) and none of the updates has fixed it. Itā€™s obviously not affecting everybody, probably not even the majority of users (or it would be deemed a crisis) but itā€™s a documented issue that is still impacting me.

2 Likes

Dude if you donā€™t want to buy it, then donā€™t. If you do, they seem to be pretty on the ball with customer service etc. and theyā€™ve more than answered your questions. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

LoL, as they say, and to @baz, the problem in all these FUBAR scenarios the problem has never been Gig Perfomer. And, as you probably noticed, the owners and developers and staff are active participants here in the Community every day. To be fair to other vendors, itā€™s pretty tough to never have a problem, and the bigger they get and your interest and use are not the main use of their software, it can be tough and neither OS or plugin vendors are exempt.

You got the best advise there is in this business - namely, if your needs are absolutely mission critical, donā€™t ever mess with something that isnā€™t broken unless you have the time to fix it if something goes wrong, and hopefully you have a bullet proof backup. And even better, the folks here in this Community always share their experiences about issues they have had so you donā€™t reinvent the wheel, or know how to fix it before it happens. It just doesnā€™t get any better than this in my opinion.

7 Likes

Hi Baz

Coming from an enterprise IT background myself, I can confirm that auto-updates are not the best approach. Controlled updates are what the major players do. But even then, those updates are there to protect the end users from all the many different (and often reckless) things they do. When youā€™re using a laptop exclusively for music (and I recommend that you donā€™t mix this with other uses), you donā€™t need that 0-day protection. If it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix it. The GP4 approach is the right one for this use case.

6 Likes

I am considering getting the new MacMini in the near future and was wondering what kind of issues you are having with it?

It works fine. The problem I am still having is that when I cold boot it, DNS doesnā€™t work so I canā€™t connect to other servers by name (itā€™s not the network, I can reach other places if I use raw IP addresses)

So I had to write a little command that basically kills the mDNSResponder, which then starts up again automatically and then everything works.

Itā€™s as if that process is starting too early and then just hangsā€¦.very annoying.

1 Like

I have a Macbook Pro and a Mac Mini with 1TB and 16gb RAM, No issues at all, runs perfectly.

Excuse my ignorance please, what are you using the network for? Is it GP based or for general use?

Thatā€™s a red herring ā€“ problems with the network were just another example of how stuff can fail after you perform an update.

It had nothing explicitly to do with GP but imagine you did that update just before you went on stage and one of your plugins requires license checking ā€” your machine would not be able to connect to the internet properly because of that particular network problem and your plugin would not be available.

Just another perfect example of why one should be very careful about updating a system thatā€™s used in a critical situation (such as being a live performer)

3 Likes

Yes, very good example, I have now adopted that aproach. TBH I never really thought of it being an issue. I use my Mac Mini at home then the MacBook Pro I take to my shows, both devices are using the same OS versions. Thanks for the advice of yourself and others. Coming from MainStage to GP seems to be a natural progression and stability is always important.

Of course it is important :slight_smile:
See quotes here: Interesting quotes

1 Like

Thank you for that info!

1 Like

Check this out ā€” brand new report and perfect example of the concern.

3 Likes

Also, when you think about how open ended GP is, itā€™s amazing that there are so few problems.

3 Likes

Just to confirm what @dhj says. I myself can never seem to remember to deactivate before I let macOS do an update (NOT automatic), but it has never been a problem ā€“ every time I run GP4 after an OS update, it asks me to re-enter my license info, I do so, and then all is good. This has happened several times each year, and thereā€™s never been an issue. BTW Iā€™m on Big Sur, 11.7.7.

1 Like

To add my two cents worth, I use Windows and have never once been asked to re-enter my license for GP. This statement spans the time and Windows OSā€™s since GP4 first came out. It appears that any given userā€™s experience will vary, but mine is far, far better than many other programs I have, which can be a royal PITA when it comes to licensing and online licensing key management services. Just another area in which GP has done exceptionally well for itā€™s users.

2 Likes