Fully Fleshed Out TouchOSC Interface

Hello All,

Back in Feb I did a “Story from the Trenches” about my evolving keyboard rig. In it I discussed a TouchOSC interface I was working on at the time. Well, as things often happen, I got really busy subbing or playing with about 10 different bands plus my day job and flash forward 6 months later, and I finally had a little time to wrap this all up. Here’s my OSC based TouchOSC GUI that I use for my gigs. Included with it is a sample gig file to test it out and a PDF guide on how to use it and how to setup your racks in GP so that it’ll interface with this TouchOSC GUI.

Though I started working on this in Gig Performer 4.8.2, I completed and tested in in GP 5.0.9 on MacOS and TouchOSC 1.3.4209. I don’t think it leverages anything that doesn’t exist in the earlier version of GP or TouchOSC, but I can’t test it in those anymore. In any case, here’s a screenshot of it and attached to this will be the files themselves. Hopefully someone else will find this useful.

Thanks
GP5 TouchOSC Interface 1.5.zip (3.4 MB)

9 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

This is very cool - I had looked at switching from Lemur to TouchOSC since the Lemur people seem to have disappeared.
But at the time, I couldn’t figure out how to implement in TouchOSC one feature that I found very useful and that was the ability to actually HIDE widgets on the iPad if they weren’t actually needed for particular songs.
Does your TouchOSC version have the ability to do that?

That’s something that I did for a project with TouchOSC mk II.

Yes. If you don’t define the OSC name for a widget or if you disable OSC for a named widget the associated knob, fader or button won’t show in the TouchOSC UI.

Oh, that’s nice – so you must be deleting all widgets when a new song is loaded and then detecting that there was a name?

That’s what I did for Lemur

No the widgets in TouchOSC are always there. They’re just hidden until you name a widget in GP with an appropriate name. Then it changes the visibility of the TouchOSC widget to visible.

Yes, sorry - that’s what I meant — that’s exactly what I did with Lemur — looking forward to trying out your version – that visibility (or invisibility) is an important aspect for me

Yeah me too. I also color code my TouchOSC widgets so I know which of them are used for which keyboard.

Hmm, I don’t think I would want that — a widget is something on a rackspace panel controlling a plugin parameter and generally when I have widgets on the iPad, it’s because they are NOT on a keyboard.

Sorry just saw this… I meant I was color coding the TouchOSC widgets. I’m only running single session in GP for my gigs currently and I like seeing all the controls in TOSC on a single page. What I tend to do is set the upper keyboard controls to one color and the lower keyboard controls to another in TOSC. In GP I try to keep things as simple on the Panel as possible by only mapping what I need. Some of my racks can get pretty crazy.

OK - finally had a chance to try this TouchOSC Interface out and my immediate reaction is,

Goodbye Lemur - I’m switching to this!

3 Likes

Just wondered;

In the Apple Appstore I find two TouchOSC versions:

• TouchOSC Mk1 - Price around $ 6
  • TouchOSC - Price around $ 20

Is it TouchOSC ($20) David-san calls TouchOSC Mk II further up in this thread and is the version I should go for today?

For those interested in reading Jim’s story of his evolving rig, see here: My Evolving GP Rig

:slight_smile:

The Mk2 version!
It has scripting (via Lua) and that’s what gives it tremendous flexibility.

1 Like

There is nothing called Mk2 when I search the AppStore, just Touch OSC and TouchOSC Mk1, the TouchOSC one being the most expensive, leading me to believe that might be the Mk2. I don’t know.

They used to call it Mk2 (https://www.patreon.com/posts/extreme-nerd-osc-57592106?l=de)

1 Like

Looks like that is a thing of the past. No mention on their site of Mk2.

I finally found a link to AppStore on the bottom of their homepage. It brought me to the app that is just called TouchOSC, so I expect that’s the one.

It certainly is.

1 Like

Looks great. I don’t suppose there is a phone-optimised layout is there (rather than tablet)? Or is that something you need to edit for yourself?