Crackling at 40%

I’ve read a lot of posts, have tried various recommendations and seen a few videos on the matter but I can’t get my head around the crackling when the CPU meter reaches between 40 and 46% …

The actual CPU meter on my Mac is very low, around 30%, and I’m using about 24gb of ram out of the 32gb my machine has.

It’s a PowerBook i9 with plugins on an external crucial sdd.

I understand that the problem is with the audio threading but it’s there any way to solve this problem?

With mainstage I had some really heavy plugins loaded in songs with up to 29 VSTs at once instance and the computer always ran very hot and loaded the session in about 4 minutes but it never crackled once…

So I don’t understand why, with much less load, GP has this issue…

Any ideas?

What is your macOS version?
Did it always crackle or this happened after an update?
Does is crackle with all gig files?
Do you use a USB hub? If yes, is it powered?
What is your audio interface? Does is glitch with the built-in sound card?
What are your buffer size and sample rate?

Did you review the tips from here: [blog] Optimize your Mac for a gig

1 Like

What is that? I am not aware of an Apple model with that name

1 Like

That was a Macintosh model back in the 90’s. I’m quite sure that’s not what he’s using. :laughing:

Of course not….that is why I’m wondering what he is using

Can you upload such a problematic rackspace?

Ever so sorry … While I was writing this post I was actually speaking with a friend of mine about my 2007 Powerbook G4 and I mixed up items here… It’s a 2018 MacBookPro 2,9Ghz i9… My bad

What audio settings did you use with Mainstage?
Samplerate, buffer size, safety buffer?
By the way, you said in Mainstage you used 29 VST plugins.
That is not possible, Mainstage cannot load VST plugins.
Only internal plugins or AU format.

I had to upgrade to Sonoma about 3 weeks ago because the internal sound just stopped functioning and I could use the external sound card either, so the last resort was to upgrade… This solved the issue and I was able to continue working but this crackling was already occasionally active in some rackspaces… I’ve been downgrading some rackspaces with worse VST instruments using less quality sounds and it seems to be solving the issue. i.e I was using Waves Elements because it’s a decent Synth with an internal arpeggiator I am now using Korg M1 with an separate arpeggiator VST to accomplish more or less the same results. That’s my workaround for now.

The crackling doesn’t occur with all rackspaces… and it doesn’t always happen with the same ones … yesterday, it was occurring with a simple pad and arpeggiated synth (right hand) and a simple piano (left hand)

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro - 2,9Ghz Intel 6 Core i9 with 32GB 2400Mhz DDR4 RAM running SONOMA 14.2

My sound card is a Presonus STUDIO 24c which I am using at home to programme the sounds but on stage I use a Presonus 1824c (I can’t get to that sound card because it’s miles away tucked in a flight case on the mobile stage)

Sound card, external SSD and one keyboard are all plugged in to independent usb ports on the laptop. the other keyboards and Akai MPD232 controller are plugged via a USB powered hub but I shouldn’t think these are causing the problem. GP4 seems to react perfectly to the input on any of these devices.

To be honest, I haven’t tried GP4 with the internal sound card, basically because I can hardly hear anything if I do so. I run the gear through studio monitors so I depend on the Presonus for that.

Buffer size : I’ve had to go up to 1440 at 44.100 (32.7ms latency). If I go down to 1024, it’s pretty dreadful . …

Yes, I have already read and applied the tips in the “Optimize you Mac for a gig”

Can you see some log messages in the console app when you filter with coreaudio?
And you cannot use the internal audio interface?

I used to default settings : 1024 at 44.100… not sure about the safety buffer. Never had to touch that, it seems.
29 instruments (I don’t know if they were VST or AU, to be honest) with corresponding FX on each instrument. OK, so at the very instance I selected that particular patch, the CPU indicator shot up into the RED 100% for a second or so then stabilized at about 15%… While I was playing it would rise up to half way, maybe, but I never had any sort of glitch or dropouts whilst playing.

29 instruments in 1 single patch in Mainstage?

Sorry. Not sure I understand what you mean…

I will try with internal audio card

Console is an Apple program where you can filter messages generated by the system.
This way you can see if coreaudio has some issues.
Coreaudio is used for … audio

It will be worse with internal card – you should always use an external audio interface that has a decent driver

That’s absurdly long and playing a keyboard with that sample buffer size will have a significant impact on latency.

Yes yes … It’s the largest patch I programmed. It’s for a 2000s dance mix with sound fx spread all over 4 keyboards. Some sounds were just over a few keys or even just one key and audio samples fired from pads on the AKAI controller. I never purged anything so the whole sound was loaded even if I only used 1 note … , It’s a crazy patch that I’m just dreading to start reprogramming on GP4 because I’m coming across some issues I never had with MainStage even with much less instruments and FX

I use the Presonus 24c at home with up-to-date driver

If I go any lower that 1440 at this point, it crackles with just about any rackspace that has more than 1 or 2 instruments

I’ve found it … There are a number of issues registered but I haven’t a clue about deciphering the meaning.

I’ve uploaded a PDF file with the messages from console. Maybe they aren’t errors as such … I haven’t a clue… I hardly understand day to day English … (Spanish)

por omisión19:45:06.180063+0100coreaudiod CAReportingClient.mm….pdf (288.9 KB)

You should think about resampling this instruments using the auto sample feature in gig performer

I’ve thought about this.

When you resample a set of instruments, dose the mix of those instruments have to be set properly or can the volumes/fx/pans be altered afterwards?
I’ve never had to consider this before so it’s totally new to me. I saw a video on YouTube on how to do this but it didn’t mention this specifically.