Crackling at 40%

When you use a sampler like Kontakt you can easily adjust levels in the sampler or you use multi outputs and control the gain via the gain and balance plugin in gig performer.

Ok… so, for example :

if on one of the 88 key keyboards I have a split session with a piano over 2 octaves, 1 octave with arpeggiated synth, 1 8ve with flute, another 8ve with B3, another with strings, etc all spread across the 88 keys, I resample all these and create 1 single instrument with the splits fixed in those areas I have set, yes?
I then load ONE instrument that I created with that selection of instruments within Kontakt, but I can still change volumes of each split instrument if I need to afterwards, yes?

What is the version of your Universal Control?

Well, then there’s something seriously wrong somewhere – but it ain’t a GP problem. I don’t know if you have a specific plugin causing this issue but most users have way more than 2 instruments in many rackspaces with no issues — I routinely have 10-30 blocks in most rackspaces for my shows and I’m using a Macbook Pro from 2018 with 10.14

4.2.0.96206 built on Oct 4 2023

Do you have a chance to try with another audio interface, just for testing purposes?

Would you recommend a complete reset of the computer?

That would mean reinstalling operating system, GP4, all plugins and instruments, etc etc …

Within many instruments, I have made specific adjustments. Will they all be lost or are those setting saved within GP4? or Would I have to go to each instrument and save those settings specifically to their own file?

I’m crapping my pants because I’ve spent many hours since November re-programming last year’s sounds and some on the new songs for this year’s tour and on Thursday we are going to have out first rehearsal for the next tour … I’d hate to lose all the work I have done so far.

Any suggestions?

I have an old MOTU 828mk2 … the drivers are way out of date … I can see if I can get it to work. I used to use it about 12 years ago when I last played professionally … This time round I bought a Presonus 24i for home and a Presonus 2418c for stage (multiple outs to send to the FOH engineer)

Sorry … a 24c for home and an 1824c for stage

GP4 recognizes the MOTU as an audio interface but not as a MIDI interface, so I cannot play with my MIDI only master keyboard… No luck there, I’m afraid

Right now, I have lowered to 512 samples at 44100 and have opened the first backspace, which is a selection of various pianos. They are all muted AND bypassed and are only active via specific variations.

I have activated 1 piano on the lower keyboard and a Pad on the top keyboard, CPU is at 18%.
I’m only playing the pad and the crackling is awful. it’s totally unplayable

I think I already know the answer but Is it necessary to have all instruments and samples on an external SSD?

I have plenty of internal hard drive space and am wondering if it would be better to install everything on the internal drive

Any ideas?

Oh - are you using samples? Then yeah - absolutely put them in internal drive —

I assume Kontakt instruments are all SAMPLES, right?

They are all on an external SSD

I’m sorry you didn’t mention you were using Kontakt from the beginning - we would have gotten there much faster.

Yes, you should put those on your internal drive.

1 Like

could that be the culprit? although the crackling also happens when I’m in a rackspace with no Kontakt?

I’m using Kontakt with COMPLETE 13 and some other bits and bobs I’ve found interesting

Arturia 4 and 5

KORG M1 VST

Some other synth VSTs I’ve installed for some really specific sounds I couldn’t find anywhere else
RHODES AFFAIR 2
AMPLE GUITAR
IZOTOPE IRIS 2

Let’s address one possibility at a time.
Make sure that when you put the samples on your internal drive, you actually delete them from the external drive so that Kontakt can no longer find them there. Otherwise it might still pick them up from your external drive and would seem like there’s no change.

Ok… I’m actually going to do a reinstall of everything and start from scratch because, tbh, this rig has still got mainstage installed and tonnes of plugin fx I’m not actually going to use… I installed loads of plugins last year to use with mainstage and have found that, at the end of the day, I use the same reverb, same delay and compressor and the waves SSL channel strip…

This rig, probably has a load of garbage/clutter that’s not helping with the issue so, doing a clean install will probably help wonders…

I will firstly try moving the samples to the internal drive to see if that actually helps… Will do that tomorrow morning.

Thanks guys for your comments

Don’t do everything at once — move the samples first and do some testing — other files and data on your hard drive aren’t going to impact anything

1 Like