Changing Omnisphere multis loading time in GP

Spectrasonics support told me the fastest way to switch between multis is standalone , but that means it has to unload, then load a multi, which takes time, can Gp presets load song set patches faster than Omni alone , it seems ppl boast mainstage does this via patchlist, so its instant, I’m pc, not Mac , any thoughts to this process?

Having looked at your question more closely, the blog article may be overkill. If you’re trying to do what you see MainStage do (i.e, different patches for different sounds) then in Gig Performer you simply create a new rackspace with Omnisphere and a different sound loaded. You can then switch instantly between rackspaces to get the sounds instantly.

Having said that, if in fact you’re trying to use multiple patches simultaneously, i.e, Omnisphere Live Mode, in a single rackspace, then the article below will still be of use.

See our blog article

https://www.gigperformer.com/controlling-omnisphere-in-live-mode

I use TR in iPad , so that simplifies that, any sequence ( 1 -8 patches in omnisphere at touch ) but the important thing is to load a patch from the host instead of only multis in Omni. It’s not the same as a daw loaded with instances as that’s cpu heavy

And it’s most certainly not the same in Gig Performer since rackspaces that aren’t active won’t be using any CPU cycles. So for example, you could load a dozen instances of OmniSphere, each into its own rackspace, and only the one that is active at any moment will be using CPU cycles.

Gig Performer is not a DAW! :slight_smile:

How can tr Omni see the present scrolled to multi in GP, it doesn’t switch along with it

You probably can’t, at least not without a lot of effort. I haven’t used that application but looking at the setup instructions (https://www.spectrasonics.net/omni_tr_app/get_started/setup/index.html), it looks like (a) it’s really intended for use with Omnisphere standalone and (b) if you’re using multiple instances, you have to manually select which instance you want every time.

In the context of Gig Performer, it makes more sense to have buttons/knobs to control Omnisphere and then use Lemur or TouchOSC for remote control.

Bummer, it’s sooo simple with Tr Omni , touch and go , different sounds for verse, chorus etc., there has to be a way for tr to see the present multi, some reset switch

But that’s the whole point of using variations in Gig Performer. You can trivially change those sounds on the fly.

https://www.gigperformer.com/controlling-omnisphere-in-live-mode

Half the purpose , if it can sync with Tr Omni ( touch different patch sequence in multi), that would be great, mainstage has the same problem, hopefully Spectrasonics can get them to sync

It’s not a mainstage problem either. The Spectrasonics people made some assumptions about how Omnisphere is expected to be used and those assumptions aren’t valid when it’s used in a different manner. However, since Gig Performer has full OSC support, you can get the same control of Omnisphere presets in Gig Performer by associating button widgets with those patch changes and then using Lemur or TouchOSC on an iPad to control those widgets.

I haven’t looked at the protocol that they’re using for communications but for what you’re trying to do, they would have to modify their protocol so that as soon as an Omnisphere plugin becomes active, it would notify TR.

But instead of widgeting, then routing to M ( to mute patches in Multi) button on Korg kontrol 2, why not just directly M the omnisphere patch, via Kk2

What I think it’s good for is back to back gig rackspace set ups, I tried the mute thing, ( not ideal), i think scrolling down in song form ( verse chorus,) is the best , so what if more instances are used , they won’t be cpu heavy, mostly 1-4 patches at most

I don’t know what “Kk2” means but it seems like you’re trying to not want to use Gig Performer in the way it is intended.

The whole idea behind using widgets is indirection, that is, the ability to separate the mechanism of physical control (i.e, your MIDI controller or Lemur surface) and plugin parameter control via host automation. MIDI itself essentially becomes irrelevant and is all under the covers. There are many benefits to this approach.

You might want to read about Gig Performer’s Rig Manager (Gig Performer | The Rig Manager) which generalizes this concept even more to support multiple physical rigs.

For example, I normally use four keyboard controllers, each of which has 8 knobs and 9 sliders. The first knob of my top controller is always used to control cutoff frequency of certain plugins when used. I have shown up for shows on tour where I was given four keyboard controllers to use. They were completely different than the controllers I normally use and although they all had knobs and sliders on them, the CC messages they produced were different than my usual controllers.

But instead of having to learn how to program those controllers to generate the desired CC messages (even if I could remember them) or go through all the plugins and relearn MIDI CC messages, all I had to do was have Gig Performer learn the CC messages with each knob on the new controllers and then those knobs just worked to control the entire gig. In that temporary situation, the first knob of the top controller was controlling the cutoff frequency of plugins even though the incoming CC number was completely different. No need to go to each plugin and relearn MIDI parameters, etc.

Of course you now also get the benefit of Gig Performer’s variations which can remember widget values so you can quickly switch multiple parameters of multiple plugins simultaneously. There’s also scaling, grouping, and the ability to use Gig Performer’s scripting language for more advanced manipulation.

All of the above also works if you use OSC (and Lemur on an iPad, say) as well.

Interesting , I get it , I love the fact that one can switch instantly between patches, better than standalone , perhaps I have to get lemur, ( Korg kontrol 2 is a midi cc controller ), so I map directly to 8 filters, 8 volume sliders , Mute and solo , directly to omnisphere; even in Gp it maps directly to Omnisphere , I can use key select for program change but that’s blind, I need to ‘ see’ what I’m doing …, now…, would lemur show the 8 parts of a multi, it won’t mirror, so I’m guessing one has to manually set it all up. U can see why I’m pissed that spectrasonics can’t keep up with Gp or Ms , many instances vs standalone …, one can’t live gig with romplers trying to load …,benefit of Tr Omni , it’s touch screen is instant and mirrors what’s going on under covers …, if lemur can do that , great …,

@Wired

I followed the discussion and I am wondering what you are trying to get.
Do you want to control Omnishere independent of any rackspaces in GigPerformer?
If this is the case, then I would use Omnisphere standalone and for the other sounds GigPerformer.
Then you could control Omnisphere loading Multis by sending program changes from GigPerformer to Omnisphere.

I am using Omnipshere also and I do not use TR OMNI at all - because for my setting it is not necessary.
All settings needed are controlled by widgets, I am also using Omnisphere Live Mode.
I have no need to mirror Omnisphere onto an iPad because the assigned widgets show me what is going on.

But that means you have to operate a laptop to switch sounds for verse , chorus, bridge, etc?, how do you use the widgets ?, so for a verse u may need two sounds of a multi , chorus, 3 sounds , breakdown 1 sound …, then the next song , the whole multi changes , all part combinations change , etc…also, asio would have a tough time using standalone O‘sphere, then using asio for kontakt ?

In earlier times I used a Yamaha Motif.
Then I switched to Mainstage and Ableton Live (for backing tracks)
Now I am using only GigPerformer and I am total happy with that.
I have songs where I use about 14 sounds over time
In “Africa” from Toto I am using synth sound, marimba, piano, lead flute, layered flute etc.
and with use of audioplayer the variation switching is automated.
In this rackspace I am using 2 instances of GigPerformer which are muted or unmuted when
necessary.

I only can say: GigPerformer is doing things I never could do with other hosts like Mainstage or
in combination with Ableton Live.

When you have enough memory on your laptop then you can load all rackspace (and of course all needed plugins) and switching randomly between the rackspaces is absolutely glitch free - believe me.

I never even look at my laptop when I’m on stage. I control the widgets from Lemur (normally) and using a few buttons and a MIDI pedal controller.

I also use a sheet music app on an iPad and when I select a song there, it sends the appropriate message to GP to select the desired rackspace/variation

I do, I’ve loaded 6 rackspaces and scroll thru them, my wishlist is that every time I scroll to a new rackspace with Osphere I can then edit the tr Omni app in real-time ( to vary the patches , verse chorus etc, , ), now I have to set up variations with new instances to keep it simple , instead of loading a 4 patch multi and touch the iPad tr Omni for 2 patches during a verse , then 3 for the chorus. Il have to scroll verse, chorus , etc blind

So lemur is like tr Omni , using WiFi ?, do u think lemur can be programmed to touch any combination of patches within a multi ( one instance of Omnisphere) w/o widgets?, directly to the vst instrument ?

@Wired
What are you searching for?
A host to run Omnisphere, or a gui to remote control Omnisphere?

I am lost.