Are there already any gestureS for midi events built in somewhere?

hehe yes I searched first this time…in the right place

So Im looking for a way to manage midi event gestures…just simple like a long hold or a double press?
ie Note on held for greater than 500ms
double press within 500ms

etc etc

= Scripting

There are timers, and the ability to store the time for a specific event and compare to the next event.

Yep…Im tired…I have coded this in so many languages I have lost count. Java, Visual Basic Script, Python, PD/Max…argh just want to do music…every time I change platform there are the usual suspects I have to face…again!

Can the script be a global scope ie at the top of the input so any children can get the data?
Just making sure
ie A normal button action is CCnn on Ch1, a hold is simply CCnn on Ch2 and so on

Cheers

Sorry to say: For this requirements no inbuilt solutions exist.
So scripting is your friend.

Is this the result of the script that you are seeking? Just confirming that your controller has no support for long press etc.

Yep…I have developed a lot more than that obviously for the hardware I program for…but Im burnt out tbh…maybe after settling into GP Ill get some energy up…but just a hold and a double click would be ok to get started

Can you please describe the whole process?
For Example:
Controller sends CC XX value YY when clicked.
Double click within ZZ ms should trigger a widget in GP.

Sure
ScanInterval = 500ms
This is a scan time as the gesture functions are not time critical

A timer is fired and then incoming midi events are checked for the target and if found, accumulative count of events is carried out.
If cnt is 1 after ScanInterval, we know the button is still being held and the timer will fire a copy of the target CC with a val of 127 BUT 1 is added to the channel number (or simply an offset to the original CC number)
If Cnt is 2, we know that it was a normal click and will send a verbatim copy of the CC
If Cnt is 4, we know it was a double click and as above (for cnt = 1) it will have the channel incremented but in this case it will have 2 added to the channel

This way each event is processed upstream and propogated with variation according to the gesture
As far as GP widget are concerned etc its just another controller.

HTH

OK this are instructions for the programmer.

What do you want to achieve in GP?

Fire 3 widgets actions from 1 controller using gestures…
Simple example,
Button 1 turns on midi filter (with note off blocked) for hold
Player plays a drone note
Button 1 is pressed again, midi filter is bypassed and note holds while other notes are played (sort of sostenuto)
During the play, another note is added to the drone in the same way and more soloing is done
Player double clicks the button

• The button turns on bypass for the filter
  • All notes off controller is sent to clear all held notes
    I know in max etc you can collect etc but I found it actually easier like this
    I would like this to happen at the top of the input stream so its all generic midi info

Is that what you meant

This should be possible with scripting.

Actually…can pure data (PD) be used in GP?

No, it cannot.

but Max can right?

No, Max cannot be used within GP.

GP can react on OSC messages sent from Max and can send OSC messages to Max.
So you could use Max standalone and communicate with GP in bidirectional Mode.

I do that all the time with Ableton Live and Gig Performer.

Thanks
Yep not a fan of IPC in live performance…dont mind it for installations.
Should be waaaay simpler than that. Might just run the old Bome scripts…they are pretty solid but would have been nice port something in so it was solid framework.

It shouldnt be that downstream…its merely generating parallel data from the same source.

Cheers

OK, what you want I never heard from other users.
And with Max and OSC it is not really an IPC, it is just sending messages.
So when Max dies, GP survives :wink:

IPC (Inter Process Communications)…isnt that OSC hehe
Yep as long as GP walks away…everyone is a winner

I do it for a living so its prob overkill but when you get use to gesturing…its hard to go back. All the new midiplus controllers will be using it and actually working nicely with Live…good hardware and cheap
I guess it wont take long to copy but I lost a lot of hair working on it thats for sure…was just hoping it would be easy to implement in GP

Cheers

Because the manufacturer of the MIDI Plus Controller provided scripts for use in Ableton Live?

Like this it can:

1 Like