Amos Def (Amish Outlaws)

Some better pics of the rack

I’m using some silicone to keep some knobs on the audio interface at their correct setting. I also used it to keep the Luna Display dongle in place, although USB C jacks lock in pretty tight.Theres also a USB led plugged in to the Mac Mini, so I have a clearer indicator that it is powered up. You can get them from Amazon

7 Likes

Your USB HUB is nice, is this model from Anker still available? I cannot find it. Does it have model reference?

1 Like

Amazon.com: Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub with 7 USB 3.0 Ports and 3 PowerIQ Charging Ports for MacBook, Mac Pro/Mini, iMac, XPS, Surface Pro, iPhone 7, 6s Plus, iPad Air 2, Galaxy Series, Mobile HDD, and More : Electronics

I don’t see it on the amazon.fr storefront for Anker, though, and the included power supply doesn’t appear to come with europlug adapters.

2 Likes

Anker 10 Port 60W Data Hub

https://a.co/d/e61Begq

1 Like

It is not a problem of plug, but indeed I will have to buy it from Germany, thanks guys.

Hi Amos. Thank you for sharing your sets ups. I am totally inspired to do something similar myself based on what you do. I am in a similar situation to what you were in prior to going software, and still using my Kronos for programming combi’s for cover bands. I use to create combi’s for other Kronos users:

I am now looking to go software as I need to move with the times, plus hardware synths are too heavy and expensive. My research so far has put me off Mainstage, and even an Akai MPC. I then came across video’s about Gig Performer, and then saw what you do for Amish Outlaws. This is exactly what I need to do, but I am still a bit unsure of a few things.

I have been thinking about a mini-mac with a touch screen monitor, and Gig Performer looks amazing, but I need to then look at plugins, which I know nothing about. So to get the same type of power as the Kronos with sounds can you recommend a good starting point; like Arturia, DX7, Triton etc. plus Ripchord for pad chords. Will I need to get anything else to begin with?

Brett has a video that says you need SampleRobot for sampling external sounds, plus Kontact for mapping. I understand needing SampleRobot, as I want to grab some external synth sounds, but I don’t understand needing Kontact? Are you able to please offer some advice? Thank you in advance.

You need Kontakt or other sampler to play the recorded samples.

1 Like

There are always free alternatives. For example, Decent Sampler.

@BBKeys
Also take a look here: [Feature Leak] Gig Performer's Very Own Auto Sampler

1 Like

That makes sense. Thank you :blush::+1:t2:

Thanks for the kind words!

I mostly focus on using physical modeling plugins to manage RAM usage best. I’m currently using the following VSTs:

Arturia V Collection for most synth sounds
Pianoteq for acoustic piano & clavinet
Lounge Lizard for Rhodes & Wurlitzer
IK Multimedia B3-X for Hammond (Blue3 is a less CPU intensive option)
TAL-Drum for one off samples (so much easier to load samples than the Kronos!)
UVI Workstation for sampled sounds (Trying to get away from NI/Kontakt unless I have no other option)
RipChord for one note chords (much easier to program than Kronos Pads)
Obelisk for midi harmonizing (great for harmonized horn lines or to spread out chords over many octaves)
RealGuitar/RealEight for acoustic/electric guitar
TH-U for guitar/keyboard effects
SWAM plugins for important solo string/brass/woodwind parts

Currently this setup is running on a Mac Mini M1 with 16GB RAM and 512GB HD. I have an M1 Mac Studio set to replace it as it gives me more CPU and RAM headroom, but that’s probably overkill for most setups.

3 Likes

Thank you so much Amos. I really appreciate your response as it has really given me some direction. I noticed Arturia Analog V comes with some of the controller keyboards, so may get the mk3 61 key, to save a few $$. I don’t think I can edit some of the sounds though unless I purchase other items from Arturia.

RipChord is a definite for me, as I try to compress my sound arrangements onto a single board at gigs.

I will need SampleRobot and UVI Workstation to play my own samples (If I understand that right). will also look into TAL-Drum.

Pianoteq, Realguitar, IK Hammond, SWAM, and other VST’s will probably come later, as they are quite expensive all together. I need buy the MacMini and Gig Performer app first. As long as I have the basics to start with👍🏻. Thanks again.

Glad to help. I think UVI Workstation might be limited to their samples and not your own ones.

Give Tal-Sampler a look for a very inexpensive sampler. I prefer Tal-Drum for my custom sample needs as they are usually short drum type samples. If I had custom samples of instruments, I’d probably use their sampler

1 Like

Yes, some of my samples are longer, and difficult to loop. Checked out a Tal-Sampler tutorial and I think that’ll work.

Good luck! I find the TAL stuff to be easy to work with and they handle stuff like output routing much easier than Kontakt, who’s interface is very complicated and outdated

3 Likes

Hi Amos,

Thank you for posting the pics and sharing info. I’m also inspired as BBKeys to go with a Mac mini instead of a laptop.

Couple of questions if you have time…

1. Why did you choose a 4 space rack instead of a 2 space? Are you worried about the heat the Mac mini generates? (I have one and it definitely get’s hot…)
  2. Is 16 gig or Ram enough? Would you go with more if you could?
  3. Why a UPS instead of a surge protector?

Did you run into power problems at the venues? I understand a UPS protects your computer better against brown outs but is the extra weight worth it and would a surge protector be enough?

I’m trying to make my setup as compact and lightweight (surge protector instead of UPS) as possible and a 2 space rack would be easier to carry. What as your thoughts?

Thank you so much for sharing! I really appreciate!

I chose the 4U so I could have it stand on it’s side under or next to my keyboard stand for a small overall footprint. The 2U would likely be too narrow to be stable in that position. I ended up using the full height in my layout which also allows for good airflow. I’m also switching out the mini for a studio, which is more than 2x the height.

16gb works for me currently with a big focus on physical modeling plugins. By design they are much less RAM intensive. The Studio that I got to replace the mini has 32gb for extra headroom, but 16 has been fine for me. It could be the newer Silicon CPU Macs that are more optimized vs the old Intel ones, but I can’t say for sure.

I always used a UPS with my Kronos and it’s even more important with the Mac Mini. Don’t want any power dips to cause a lockup or reboot in the middle of a performance. We also had a temporary loss of power this weekend and it allowed me to keep the system up and running for the time it took them to get power restored.

1 Like

Thank you so much! I appreciate you.

1 Like

Why switching from the Mac mini to the Mac Studio?

Is the Mac mini not powerful enough?

Thank you!

The Mini is plenty of power. I needed to have a backup so I figured I could upgrade and keep the mini as my backup.

The studio also has a bit of a more powerful fan which may help it keep cool for outdoor summer shows

Thanks Amos!

1 Like