Wireless USB to replace long cable

I’d like to go wireless with my usb. Standing out front with a wireless iPad, wireless guitar controller and having to run a 4 metre cord back to the computer. I’ve looked around the net but nothing pops up. The transmitter end would need to be USB B, and the receiver end would need to be USB A., and the info sent would be #CC mostly. Latency would have to be equal to the cord if possible. Any recommendations?

You will have to find a workaround.

What for if your controller are wireless? If not, this is the way to go:

If your controller has MIDI USB only, you could eventually make use of this kind of device in front of the MIDIBeam (this has to be checked):

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

Last Friday I was playing a gig and used midi beam.
Highly recommended,

1 Like

All my pedals are on the floor including volume, wah, stop/start etc. They are using the cable.

“If your controller has MIDI USB only, you could eventually make use of this kind of device in front of the MIDIBeam (this has to be checked):”

I already use the four input unit. So the panda device could plug into it. I wonder, does it have the square USB b outlet?

the receiver has a mini USB outlet and a regular USB A in the computer side. I don’t understand why you focus on the USB B outlet… :thinking:

All my pedals plug into an AudioFront 4x unit which has four 1/4” jack socket inputs and one USB B outlet on the back. How then do I get the Panda transmitter to to plug into the USB B socket?

You have to use a an audiofront device with a din MIDI out and check it works with it.
You could also connect the Audi front to the iPad perhaps…

They don’t make one.
I think this is getting too expensive. By the time I buy a converter cable fo $80, plus the Panda for $300, I think I’ll just stay with the $30 cable.

1 Like

Which connector do you have on your iPad? Do you have the camera connection kit with an USB outlet?

According to Audiofront you should be able to connect the expression io device to the iPad. And then back to the PC wirelessly… I use MidiFire on iPad to do the internal iPad MIDI wiring, it has MIDI in and MIDI out blocks like GP (connect the audiofront MIDI in to the network MIDI out), and on the PC I use rtpMIDI to create wireless MIDI ports.

That’s interesting. Didn’t know it was possible. Where can I find instructions?

I don’t know, I found the info in the Google cash of the audiofront web site, but cannot find it from there.

You can test it with the appropriate cable, I don’t know what is the outlet on your iPad…

My iPad has USB C. I have a CCK for the iPad. Does the Midifire App run in the background? I need to use the iPad for lyrics and midi control in my computer. So I would need to run the two apps together. Is Midifire ok for latanc?y

Then you can try it.

Yes, I only hope it doesn’t stop at a time to save your batteries :grimacing:

But, well, it is very cheap to test it.

Yes.

Yes.

I went down a similar path and kept banging my head against USB-midi and length/hop restrictions. Then I converted everything to use BomeBox and never looked back. Highly recommended that you google it.

1 Like

Funny you should say that. I’ve recently ordered a BomeBox myself and just waiting for it to arrive. Could it handle replacing the usb cable though?

I’m not sure I’m clear on your setup. Bomebox features a USB A port with 500mA of 5v DC. It transcodes bidirectional USB-midi to Ethernet for communication with other BomeBoxes and Mac/PCs on the LAN. If your equipment has a USB-B port on it, you can use a standard usbA>usbB cable to connect it in this way. Not enough to actually charge an iPad, though…if that’s what you’re after. For that, I’d look into an POE+ Or POE++ Ethernet and power adapter over usb-C. Bome has been teasing an iOS version of their software (which I may or may not be beta-testing.) Rumour has it this will communicate with the aforementioned bomeboxes and Max/PCs directly over wired or wireless Ethernet.

1 Like

After re-reading I suspect that waiting for Bome’s iOS app and connecting it to your pedalboard via a BomeBox at your feet via wifi is the best solution you’ll find. USB is not wireless, so you need a reliable, relatively real-time transport protocol over which the USB can be transcoded. WiFi fits that bill better than flakey, laggy Bluetooth or sketchy 2.4gHz kludges. BomeBox works as an Ethernet router and WiFi access point, so literally covers each of those bases. Of course, you might need a second BomeBox, depending on what the other end of the USB cable connects to.

Ok, looks like it’s a computer you’re connecting to. If Mac or PC just download Bome Network and purchase a pro license and you’re golden. If linux… not sure where to steer you unless you want to get into midi over OSC.

Hi Chris. Sounds like you know what you are talking about. I’ve recently been in touch with Florian Bome and he has added me to the iOS beta list for the new iPad app. I’m afraid networking is a big mystery to me and I find the concept confusing. If I can get everything working ok, I’ll be happy just to leave things alone. Regarding the second BomeBox at the other end ~ they are fairly pricey, so I may just end up keeping with the cable. I’d appreciate any information that you can share with me on how you use your BomeBox and how you set it all up.

1 Like

Lol. Yes, I’ve flogged this horse well past its natural expiration date.
Sleep easy re: networking. Your use case shouldn’t require anything much in terms of setup. Just use the BB as your wifi router and let it do its job. This system works across power cycles. All you need to do when setting up is launch the app on your iPad and run it in the background, and everything else should link up within a few seconds.

My setup has become pretty extensive by now.

-Show Control Mac Mini with Gig Performer and BomeNet Pro. Dante Virtual Soundcard for 4 channels of clicks and tracks to the x32. It includes a 16 channel full-band looper courtesy of the old Mobius plugin, Gig Performer, and the x32 bus outputs. (This is currently on hold while I wait for a replacement chip for my x32’s Dante card, which was partially DOA. LONG wait due to the chip shortage. :frowning: )
-Recording/Virtual Soundcheck Mac Mini with Logic Pro and BomeNetPro via an Klark Teknik 48-channel AES50<>USB interface from the x32
-Synth bank tower PC for 8 channels of synth virtual instruments via Gig Performer and BomeNet Pro, transitioning to a Dante Rednet PCIeR card for audio… I hope to add vocal and guitar FX processing instances to this PC as well.
-Drums tower PC for 8 channels of drum virtual instruments via Gig Performer and BomeNet Pro. Dante Virtual Soundcard outputs.
-Windows 10 tablet with BomeNet Pro, Dante Controller, and VNC plus for management from stage.
-iPhone with Band Helper and iOS BomeNet pro (beta) for song selection
-BomeBoxes for each member of the band for eDrum, synth, and floor pedal connections to the rest of the system.
-Router, WiFi, WiFi WAN uplink, and POE switches for both racks (Mixer/PC rack and stage backline/snake rack)

This is all set up to work upon boot. I connect cables, power up my racks, power up my PCs, launch the iPhone apps, and everything is connected. Usually when it doesn’t launch, it’s because I was messing with things and didn’t remember to reconfigure when I was done.

This was mostly theoretical/future-planning until Gig Performer 4 introduced Global Rackspaces and BomeNet introduced Direct Virtual Midi ports with Unlimited Named Ports. The last 6 months have seen the whole thing finally start to come together nicely:
-Midi controller keyboards and edrums connect via BomeNet to their respective synth PCs. Secondary connections to the recording PC for MIDI tracking
-Foot pedals connect via BomeNet to the Show Control PC, which forwards commands to the other PCs to call up song parts/rackspaces, Lighting Presets, etc.
-Recording PC will play back MIDI directly through the synth PCs and Show Controller, and pre-processing audio through the board tracks. This allows for virtual soundchecks where I can listen to the band’s performance (with associated lighting changes!) and audition patches/tweak parameters/change effects/ride faders during playback.

The whole thing is really made possible by Gig Performer, Bome, and Band Helper. I’ve been extremely vocal in the community forums for all three products. The Bome and BH devs know me by first name and they’ve graciously included many of my suggestions in the software over the past decade. (Deskew has been awesome too… I’m just later to the game.) Dante has been important in allowing the thing to evolve without becoming too heavy to transport and too ‘physical’ to evolve. I would never have done it with expensive hardware 8-channel interfaces on each PC, all plugged in with multichannel snakes. Not only would it weigh a ton and add an hour to my setup times… it would have locked me in to a set number of channels per computer. The one thing that has made itself abundantly clear to me is that the network is the only viable solution for getting all these signals from point A to point B.

Anyhow, that’s enough I’m sure. This stuff is my obsession, obviously. Happy to answer questions.

2 Likes