Wireless USB to replace long cable

Wow! And Wow again! What a setup! You must be a technician as well as a performer. Hasn’t music changed so much in recent times. I spend as much time on technical issues as music these days. My only question would be - what do you do and where do you look if something doesn’t work?

Thanks!

(Full disclosure… appx 1/4 of what I wrote is not yet in play. Parts on order, etc… but all of it is planned out and vetted.)

Yes, I’m a technician. I’ve been dealing in MIDI since the mid-90s, multi instrumentalist, Berklee Production/Engineering degree, did some touring, and have been working in residential “smart homes” and commercial audiovisual tech since then. I’ve also dabbled in software dev. Yeah, most of my ‘tech’ boxes are ticked. :wink:

As for troubleshooting, I’m willing to work hard early in the process to keep tshooting on stage quite minimal. I don’t tolerate consumer-grade connections where they might be broken (look at Neutrik Ethercon and USBCon for examples.) cables are all tactical grade. (I have enough to worry about without cables and connectors crapping out.) Anything I’m going to use on stage gets tested and worked with for months beforehand. Double that if my non-techie bandmates will be using it. Once it has been worked into a road-ready, repeatable, automatically-booting system, I’ll introduce it.
After all this work, I’m generally pretty good at sniffing out issues when they do arise. Most often I have forgotten to turn something on, etc.

2 Likes

Or turn the L and R channels up on the main power amp as I did once, and then spent nearly 1/2 hour rechecking cables and connections before discovering the issue. The local music shop owner had been watching me, and when he asked me if I’d had some problems, I just said that it was a “Technical Issue”. I was too embarrassed to tell him the truth.

2 Likes

Never too late ;-). Best thing, you discovered GP… and make good use of it!

2 Likes

@bigalminal, for you information, i bought this kind of very cheap USB C/USB A from Amazon (6,50€ for 4 pieces):

Using this kind of adapter I could successfully connect an Audiofront MIDI expression io to my iPad, then I didn’t test it, but it should be straightforward, I can go wireless from the iPad to the GP computer. Done!

2 Likes

Is this adapter used in place of the Camera Connection Kit? I thought the CCK was needed to get info into an iPad?

Yes it is, I didn’t find an USB C CCK for the new M1 iPad Pro.

I’ve got one. I bought it from Apple. Works with my iPad Pro 12.7 2020.

Well, thinking about it, what I said is a bit stupid as Apple also provide USB C to USB A adapter which can be considered as a CCK.

But the conclusion remain, it makes it possible to directly connect the Audiofront device.

The panda is kinda the Rolls Royce of the field, totally worth it if performing for big $ but for others there is stuff like the CME WIDI line of products. And even cheaper doreMIDI from AliExpress.

I would not trust on bluetooth

Or simply if you don’t want to feel stupid with your keytar in the front of the stage…

But, I would be curious to compare with the new CME WIDI line.