Who else is using a Fishman Triple Play here?

Thanks Djogon,
I have the midi in block connected to the triple play plugin.
I think the problem is with the routing going out from my Softstep2 midi controller.
When I setup the FTP as a standalone (outside Gig Performer) I see the midi message lightning up in the midi in of my RME audio interface but when I install FTP plugin inside Gigperformer the same message does not lightup.
It seems like gig performer does not allow it in?
Hein

Hmmm. What happens if you open the MIDI Monitor window in GP and then press your SoftStep buttons?

Btw… I use SoftStep occasionally and it works just fine with GP …

I get from midi monitoring. But when I go in Gig performer to options and use in Global midi the learn tab it accepts any cc message coming in.

.Sorry, I meant I get nothing in midi monitoring. What I noticed now with Softstep2 is that when I use it in standalone mode, cc messages are entering, at least in the preferences Global midi tab.

If you learn a particular CC message in the GLOBAL midi options or a widget - that message is “consumed” and will not be propagated to the plugin. Make sure that the message you are trying to use is not already configured to be used elsewhere.

Window -> Show MIDI Assignments

Thanks, I will check this out.

I did not find any CC messages in use under window- Show midi assignments.

The Triple Play app is a pain-in-the-a**. And in the scenario

It’s much more powerful used in hardware only mode, especially with GigPerformer (GP). GP can do everything the the TP software endeavors to do, but with greater power and a more elegantly. Trying to use FTP within GP is essentially trying to use a host inside another host.

GP is a far better solution than the FTP software. I only use the FTP software to setup my hardware patches on the FTP pickup. I let GP handle everything else for my gigging rig. Then instead of trying to issue PC changes, use GP’s Rackspaces and Songs to move through your set. Far more flexibility and power.

I have switch from changing patches on the tripleplay to changing patches in gig performer and having tripleplay in hardware mode receive program changes sent by gigperformer. This way I can change to the smooth pitch control from auto, chromatic, etc. I can also split the fretboard on some patches and not others. The program change number is the number of the hardware patch in tripleplay. I send those codes out to tripleplay using the “song part” window that allows you to specify the device and code.

Like Amor- I only use the tripleplay software to setup my hardware patches. I wish I had done it this way to begin with as it is much easier to setup for a show.

I am not currently using the FC-1 since the Guitar Wing can provide all the control needed from anywhere on stage. I do miss being able to see what hardware patch I am on because sometimes there is bluetooth connection issues that prevent tripleplay from receiving and responding to the program change. I have asked the GPscript forum for help on an issue that could lead to my writing code to show that tripleplay hardware patch on the Gigperformer Rackspace.

thanks for your answers.
So in Gigperformer I should not launch the TriplePlay plugin in the connection space, right? I just merely open the midi in block. And I use the triple play controller in hardware mode and use the gigperformer’s outgoing midi messages and song parts to trigger the next hardware patch concerning ‘touch sensitivity’ pick or fingerpicking.
Thanks for that suggestion, it makes sense. I got this working now from my external midi controller Softstep2.
But what if I want to apply sustain pedal from the softstep. I was reading in the fishman documentation that ftp reacts to cc messages in hardware mode as well. Is there a direct way that i can apply sustain with cc message? This might need countless on and off changes.Or can this only be done with program change messages?
Thanks for any suggestions

You can always drop a widget and assign it to your MIDI in block, then make it transmit the sustain message. Now learn your CC MIDI message from your hardware to control this widget and you’ll have it.
Optionally - you can use the MIDI filter and transform your CC message to a sustain message as well.

Amazing, how flexible Gigperformer is. I will give it a go.
Thanks,
Hein

I think guitarman is referring to the “hold pedal” function offered in the FTP software host. Essentially, it is a Sostenuto pedal function that allows you to sustain notes played before the pedal was pushed but play new notes that are not sustained. Implemented for playing leads, FTP allows switching or stacking sounds simultaneously.

@ guitarman try using the “midiSostenuto” plugin available here on the GP website.. I have one of these inserted in nearly every rackspace and have it mapped to a button on my GuitarWing so that I always have it available to me.

As far as simultaneously switching to an alternate sound at the same time you press the switch, there a re several ways to accomplish this in GP. Conceptually, the simplest way would be to map the same controller (that activates the Sostenuto function) to a second widget that activates another plugin chain which provides an alternate sound. This would allow you to just A/B the “signal” paths or stack the new chain on top of the first.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi,
I am kind of new to all this… and I am not sure I do this right.
Let me describe how I applied your advice:

I added a widget to the rackspace that represents the song and set it up as follows:

In the mapping section I selected the plugin ’ midi in omni’ and selected parameter ‘cc 64’
This is what you mean by 'by making it transmit the sustain message, right?

If so, while I am still in the rack space editing my widget, I go from the mapping section to the properties and select the midi tab and use the learn function. My incoming message from my hardware midi controller (Kmi softstep2) was recognized and after exiting the editing mode I can turn on or off the widget from the softstep.
Is that how you meant?

@guitarman yes - I think you did it right. You mapped the hardware MIDI message to a widget and widget is set to send cc64 to the MIDI In block you selected which will then send cc64 to the plugin attached to that midi block when that widget is pressed (midi controller pressed).

Did that work for you?

Hello Amor,

that’s right, I would like to use the FTP ‘hold pedal’ function. I downloaded the piz midi plugins and tried to setup the midiSostenuto one.
Then I got stuck because Windows 7 got the better of me. I could not use the path suggested by the ‘midi piz’ document. There is no access to ‘Documents and settings’ folder which I need to put the dll in the right place for it to work.

Meanwhile, I did what djokon is suggesting. Now, I can trigger from my softstep hardware controller a midi message that gets learned and coupled to cc 66 of a widget. I tested with midi monitor and it works. When I activate the widget, the midi in block sends out the cc 66.
I wonder how to get this message to the FTP hardware controller in hardware mode. Do you think that this can work to activate the ‘hold pedal’ function?

Well, I got the triple play to sustain the notes when I activated the widget. But I when i turned the widget off it kept sustaining the notes… endlessly. I had to delete the widget and restart Gigperformer to undo that. So, I am getting closer but still not there.

Please connect a MIDI Monitor to your MIDI input block and verify that when you press the widget down - it sends CC64 with a value of 127 and when you press the button widget again so it’s now off - it sends the CC64 with the value of 0

Hallo djogon,
Yes this works all fine now. I am struggling to get this message to reach the FTP controller.
Hein

You have it correct - no Tripleplay plug-in.

Program change and cc codes can control gigperformer. There are the global midi settings in gigperformer and control of the virtual instrument plugin you use.