PizMIDI plugins binaries for Mac and Windows

It seems to have become very difficult to find built versions of the popular ‘Insert Piz Here’ plugins. The author’s website seems to have been down for several years and it’s very hard to find compiled binaries and if you do, it’s unclear whether they are a safe source.

The source is available on GitHub (https://github.com/jpauwels/pizmidi) but unless you’re a software developer, these are no use to you. Even if you are, as they stand, it’s a headache to build them because of bizarre ancient and somewhat strange configuration settings.

So we’ve taken the liberty of building binaries from these source files and are making them available on our website solely for the convenience of our users. We’ve only tried a couple of them very briefly and we have no idea if they all work.

Just to be clear, these plugins are provided with absolutely NO WARRANTY, NO GUARANTEES, NO NOTHING. If you download them and/or use them, you 100% indemnify us against any and all losses and/or expenses arising from any problems with them.

We’re not supporting them or planning to fix any bugs.

Use them completely at your own risk. Do not call us for any help. If they work for you, great. If they don’t, sorry about that!

You can download an archive of the plugins for OS X below.

Download Insert Piz Here for OS X

One of our users (thanks, @themaartian) already had the Windows 64-bit version of these plugins so they’re now available as well. Same license rules apply.

Download Insert Piz Here for 64-bit Windows

6 Likes

I have the 2017-06-19 64-bit builds for Windows if you’d like them.

pizmidi x64 2017-06-19.zip (3.8 MB)

Cool - that saves us some work

Thanks

Here’s a 2018 version for Mac OS. All the ones I have attempted to use have worked fine. I regularly use them in my racks.pizmidi.dmg.zip (2.4 MB)

1 Like

Hmm, those VSTs are about 3 times as big as the ones that I compiled yesterday. Where did you get them? I wonder if they are debug versions (and if so then most likely slower code)?

1 Like

I also have the MacOS build with plugins 3 times as big as your ons. Don’t know where I got them from… as you said… very difficult and it took a while :slight_smile: (and in some bundles exactly the plugins I needed were missing)

Thanks for the work David!

That calms me down a bit… some years ago I spent some time trying to build them in Visual Studio but couldn’t make it work so I gave it up after some hours :slight_smile:

@dhj They were recommended to me by another user of the previous VST host program I was using before GP. As I recall, they came from the creator’s web site or an approved download site (I am very cautious and NEVER download anything from mystery sites). I have used them for at least a year and a half and never had any issues. But then, I am not a programmer.

The zip file I uploaded is smaller than the one themaartian uploaded - were the actual VSTs larger than those?

The ones I posted were built directly from the source code. It makes no sense that yours would be three times as big unless they were built in debug mode and so contain a lot extra information useful for developers. However, it also likely means the code isn’t able to run as fast as it could.

I don’t know this but the chances are that the ones I built will be more efficient at runtime.

As an analogy, Gig Performer is somewhere around 45-50 Mb but the debug version which we use internally is about 80Mb and is also a few percent less efficient.

Does anyone know about versions of these that are compatible with Apple Silicon? I have been using these for years and they can be be found in nearly all of the rackspaces I created before 2023. I would love to be able to update them for those legacy racks & songs.

Thanks!

It seems that these are 32-bit versions of these VST’s. The current version of my DAW cannot open these. The most popular bridger app, J-Bridge, does not work on my current Mac OS. Do you know how I can get these converted to 64-bit VST’s?

I didn’t notice before that you are the one who posted the Mac dmg for these - Thanks! I am looking for a way to get them converted to 64-bit. I can’t find info on whether a bridger program (there’s a couple free alternative to J-Bridger, NetVST and also Bitbridge, which works through Cakewalk) will convert and then save the VST’s as 64bit, or if they have to be used every time. I’d like to find a permanent solution. I wonder if there are enough users that if I paid someone to convert that people might chip in…

there’s definitely 64 bit versions out there
I think this is where I found them (or dhj’s first post)

Are these OS X versions 64-bit

you will need to run GP in Rosetta on Apple Silicon to use them

What I’m remembering is that the link for the Mac downloads above does not include the “midiPitchBendToNotes.vst” file, only the “midiPitchBendToNotes.txt” file in the doc folder. That’s the plugin I was looking for that led me to finding the PizMIDI plugins, to use with a Suzuki Q-Chord, which has horrible midi implementation. When this search began some time ago I remember seeing (whether it was on the original post by “Insert Piz Here” on kvraudio.com or by someone who was making them available, I can’t remember) that that particular plugin had not been translated from a Windows to a Mac working version.

So my question at this point is how do I take the midiPitchBendToNotes.dll file and turn that into a 64-bit VST that I can use on a Mac?

I don’t know what the specific transformation the piz plugin is doing, but a GP ‘Scriptlet’ can be created for many types of midi conversion.

For example, there is a callback that reacts on pitch bend messages, and functions to extract the pitch bend value, and to create a note message.

Callback:

On PitchBendEvent (p : PitchBendMessage) From <MidiIn block name>

End

Functions:

GetPitchBendValue : Returns the pitch bend value from a PitchBend MIDI message

• Declaration: function GetPitchBendValue (m : PitchBendMessage) returns Integer

MakeNoteMessage : Returns a Note MIDI message with the specified note number and velocity. The MIDI channel is 1

• Declaration: function MakeNoteMessage (number : int, velocity : int) returns NoteMessage

Not quite as straight forward as I’d hoped. I had to use this code in Terminal (adapted for each problem vst)

sudo xattr -cr /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/plugin_name.vst

PG-8X and piz MidiDelay now working under Rosetta :slight_smile:

1 Like