Who else is using a Fishman Triple Play here?

FTP is a wonderful device and I am thankful for its creation. But it does have it’s own challenges. It doesn’t help that much of it’s implementation is undocumented officially. Thankfully the folks at V-Guitar forums have been a great resource.

How many other guitarists are trying to use FTP with GigPerformer? I find that I sometimes have unique issues that keyboard players just don’t have and don’t understand why I even have to ask. So I would love to know if there are others here that I can bounce stuff of of.

Thanks!

Yep, I use Fishman Tripleplay in my cover band. I use gigperformer for synth and Apple mainstage w guitar rig for guitar emulation. Here is my setup from last June-

With gigperformer’s new setlist function, I have now eliminated the use of Tripleplay software during shows and operate in the hardware mode.

@thunderfingers. Thanks for responding. I saw your video before and I think you’ve done a nice job with your setup. So your 100% wireless, right?

How do you like the Guitar Wing? I have seriously considered getting one in the past. Is it your only controller? Do you use the slider strips for expression control? Have you ever had any issues with interference or intermittency?

Playing an FTP equipped Stratocaster with (I assume) a floating bridge, what’s your strategy if you break a string? Do you move the FTP and Guitar wing to a back up guitar? Have a second guitar outfitted with another set of FTP & Guitar Wings? Or do you have the bridge locked down so that your other strings don’t slip out of tune?

See my answers within your quoted text.

This is my current rig. There is a 5ghz wireless router for the xr18. I use 2 MacBook pros. One with the behringer um404 for guitar (mainstage/guitar rig) and guitar synth (gigperformer) then the other uses gigperforner with the xr 18 to process vocals and record 18 tracks.

BTW - I said no dropouts on my wireless- that pertains only to guitar wing. Tripleplay gave me lots of problem until I discovered turning off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on my phones and computers has almost completely solved it.

So that must mean that you use the bluetooth dongle(s) for the guitar wing(s) instead of the Mac’s built in Bluetooth? And that improved the FTP’s reliability? That’s good to know (I just ordered the GW today :wink:)

Did you ever have an issue with your FTP dongle transmitting duplicate data on both the FTP-Guitar and FTP-Control inputs? I just realized this was happening (I’m a recent convert from the Roland 13-pin camp). In the shot of your GP rack space in the video, it looks like you are using the FTP-Guitar device for your MIDI input block. Is that true? Any disadvantages to using one over the other?

I definitely see the need for 2 Macs. Eventually I’ll move to s virtual guitar rig, but right now I’m only using my MBPro for FTP/GP synthesis and running tracks occasionally. I am using a Helix for my guitar rig and audio interface. The MBP just can’t handle trying to do both simultaneously. Besides, if the Mac ever crashes, I still have guitar sounds to get through the song. (GP has crashed in performance twice in recent weeks, despite having fully tested my gig file the previous days - tho these are the first times that has happened).

I must say I am thrilled to be able to share this stuff. Thanks for your interest.

@thunderfingers How kind of you to offer! I’d be honored. :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks for all your help and informative answers!

Since I have never used the GW before, may I ask what you mean by “sync the guitar wing to the rackspace widgets in gigperformer”?

I intend to use the GW for cc controls as well, maybe also to start stop tracks in the audio player. I’ve not had any FTP dropouts so far…

may I ask what you mean by “sync the guitar wing to the rackspace widgets in Gigperformer?”

For example, I have a boost button on my gigperformer rackspace that essentially is a bypass for a gigperformer gain block set to -4.5db. On the rackspace front panel the bypass is linked to a red light. When I click the red light with the mouse, and it turns on, the gain reduction is bypassed. Click again the light goes off and the -4.5 db gain block is in effect.

That’s how it works with just gigperformer. Now I want the same function w guitar wing so I program a button on guitar wing to be red when on and dark when off. I decide what cc code makes sense then have the gigperformer red light widget learn that code. No script needed for that part.

But some rackspaces and some variations need to turn in boost when you switch to it. On Shut Up And Dance, I play a synth sound at normal volume until the solo comes up which is a different rackspace because it glides from note to note. When I change to that patch, I need gigperformer to send a signal to guitar wing that boost is on and to set the light to red. So I wrote a gpscript that fires on rackspace activation, change of variation and change of widget to keep the guitar wing light and logic synced with my patch change.

Also a button on ge to control a fader from guitar to synth, both, alternate patches.

I have a dial in my rackspaces for 10 guitar patch presets and 10 dmx light scenes. These are all read and transmitted when I change rackspaces or variations.

One bug I have is if I start in the blend mode, then turn it off, it should go to guitar only or synth only depending on what it was before I Went to both. It’s not always doing what I want. I need to test it to see exactly where I am at and the fix it.

Btw- I used guitar wing to trigger the gigperformer audio player. I just used one of the slider strips which has a key switch as well as the variable fader. We did Thriller for our Halloween show and it triggered my edit of Vincent Prices monologue. I found his monologue as an isolated track, so it was pretty fun!

Did you get the Guitar Wing? How is it going?

Hi @thunderfingers. Yes the Guitar wing has been great! Thank you for recommending it. The first one I received was defective and I sent it back, but the replacement has been awesome. The relatively short battery life makes me nervous and I hate having to pair it every time I need to use it. The FTP is much more robust and elegant in both regards. But I am coming to love not having to look down to try to find the right pedal to step on. I am typically singing, directing a choir and band simultaneously, so having the control right on the guitar has been fantastic. So thank you again!

Sounds like you are sending commands to alter the state of the guitar wing from GP. Is that accurate? Are you doing this with the FTP pick up as well, say to change from pick to fingerpicking mode or to toggle mono & poly modes? Speaking of which… now that you can go back and forth between mono & poly modes in hardware patch mode, are you using fretboard splits? This seems like it could be really powerful when combined with GP’s song parts feature.

Our church just purchased a Midas M32 digital mixer for FoH. I am thinking about way in which I can expand implementation of my gear. So I have been wondering about your rig and would love a more comprehensive understanding of the ways in which you are using these technologies. You said that you are running GP for your synths, but using MainStage for your guitar sounds. But did you mention running another instance of GP for your vocalists?! Controlling your digital mixer too? As well as lighting cues? I am curious about this. Are you using MIDI pipe to get the two laptops to communicate with one another? if not, what protocol are you using to sync them?

Thanks!

I’m currently using 2 laptops. One runs synth, lights, guitar processing and send signals to the other laptop that records 18 channels and autotunes vocals. If the synth computer goes south, I can use the one that otherwise processes vocals and records the show.

I’ve had lots of tech problems but it actually starting to work pretty well. Now most of my problems are I’m hitting the wrong button at the wrong time. In other words- user error.

I currently use only the setlist mode. Here are screen shots. Note on my back panel all the midi out. BacktoGP was named because I was going to send program changes to a second instance of Gigperformer but when it crashes, both instances need to restart so I use MainStage.

L1 goes to the midi of my Behringer 404 interface and thats where you could send mixer program changes to go to different saved snapshots in your midas m32. I use it to send through my behringer xr18 and then from their through usb to the 2nd laptop. All that stuff is on midi 1 or 2. I split the output of the behringer 404 to also go to the midi input of a dmx lighting controller which responds only to channel 9.

I also have a midi out to send program changes to triple play and another to send signals to GW. It resets the buttons.

Hello,
I saw the information you shared with amor with interest and am amazed how TriplePlay can benefit from Gig Performer. I just started to put together this setup but ran into a problem:

When I have TriplePlay as a standalone (I mean outside Gig performer) I use Softstep2 (a foot midi controller) to send cc messages to change hardware patches etc… to FTP without problems.

But once I send the same messages to FTP installed in Gig performer, I can not make these messages work, whatever I do with the midi routing.

I suspect this is because softstep2 is not a vst plugin. In your explanations you were writing to amor that you did something with GP script to make the Guitar Wing work? Do you think I would have to do the same?

Also, I saw that you use the FishmanTP FC-1 midi controller. Would using this device allow me to control the hold function and patch changes? What do you use it for?

Thanks to Amor and you for putting this wealth of info available.

Best regards,
Hein

This should work without issues unless you are not using CC messages but for example PC messages in which case something else needs to be done

If you are using CC messages - they should come through just fine, but obviously you have to connect your MIDI in block to the TriplePlay plugin.

Thanks Djogon,
I have the midi in block connected to the triple play plugin.
I think the problem is with the routing going out from my Softstep2 midi controller.
When I setup the FTP as a standalone (outside Gig Performer) I see the midi message lightning up in the midi in of my RME audio interface but when I install FTP plugin inside Gigperformer the same message does not lightup.
It seems like gig performer does not allow it in?
Hein

Hmmm. What happens if you open the MIDI Monitor window in GP and then press your SoftStep buttons?

Btw… I use SoftStep occasionally and it works just fine with GP …

I get from midi monitoring. But when I go in Gig performer to options and use in Global midi the learn tab it accepts any cc message coming in.

.Sorry, I meant I get nothing in midi monitoring. What I noticed now with Softstep2 is that when I use it in standalone mode, cc messages are entering, at least in the preferences Global midi tab.

If you learn a particular CC message in the GLOBAL midi options or a widget - that message is “consumed” and will not be propagated to the plugin. Make sure that the message you are trying to use is not already configured to be used elsewhere.

Window -> Show MIDI Assignments