What is the best sounding Piano plugin with the smallest CPU hit?

Hello folks! What is the best sounding piano plugin with the smallest CPU hit? Preferably a modeling (non-sample based) version.

Thanks!

Do you know Pianoteq?
Arturia has Modeling Pianos too, V2 is Not bad
You could give Truepianos a try

Pianoteq is my goto…physical model, sounds great

1 Like

Pianoteq. I was a devoted fan of Ivory II for years, but began using Pianoteq at v6.4. Sounds great, feels great.

1 Like

PianoTeq FTW

Pianoteq… without blinking an eye.

Thank you all for the input. I purchased Pianoteq and it is wonderful. Unfortunately I’m also getting significant latency with it in GP. Perhaps it is partially due to the fact that my controller is a guitar (FTP pickup), but between the latency of GP (buffer at 320 samples) and Loopback, the latency makes it virtually unusable for the intended application. I will, of course, trouble shoot the issue. But if any of you fine people have any helpful suggestions, I would be grateful.

Loopback inteoduces a latency of about 10 Ăź 15 msec and a buffer of 320 additional about 8 msec.
That is too much.
Why are you using loopback and why such a huge buffer in Gig Performer?

Okay, seems I have to test Pianoteq again. The last time I tested it it sounded extremely unnatural to me. Seems they have improved it significantly since then.

Before 6.1 I felt it was basically just adequate but whatever they did when they released 6.1 it became totally awesome and has been ever since.

2 Likes

I think the choice of a piano VST is a little bit like the choice of an acoustical one, it is something very personal. I bought my VPC1 in 2014, and could test it with all the VST for which Kawai optimized a velocity curve. Among the candidates there was Pianoteq. But, for me, none of the candidates could compete with Ivory American Concert D. But, it is me… And as I am still satisfied with my piano VST today, I never tested again other VST.

I needed a multichannel virtual interface to solve the problem I wrote about in this thread: https://community.gigperformer.com/t/rig-manger-for-audio-interfces/2103?u=amor. dhj recommend it’s use and cited his blog article here: https://gigperformer.com/using-loopback-to-send-audio-from-one-application-to-another/

As I stated, I would actually prefer to have the same kind of functionality with Audio as we currently have with midi via the rig manager in GP. Still waiting…

A 320sample buffer is about the smallest I have been able to use with GP without getting clicking and hiccuping artifacts. Again, maybe it’s because my controller is a guitar. The latency is noticeably less using a usb keyboard controller.

Loopback certainly makes the latency worse, but the issues it solves make it worth id for now. Again, I am open to any suggestions anyone has that might improve things.

I still believe american D is the best, but this is just what i like.

Has anyone used keyscapes yamaha live

Yes I did.
Sounds good, but for me Pianoteq has more feeling to play.

Yes, the Keyscape Yamaha is awful to me, while I love the Rhodes very much. I don’t only talk from the sound which is almost OK, but from the feeling when playing. I want to close my yes and have the feeling that I play the real thing.
As you can see we are all very different…

Yes the Rhodes are top end.
The acoustic Pianos I like Pianoteq more.

If you like 80’s sound like the one to be heard on “Stay the Night” from Chicago you should
give Sampleson a try.

I used American Concert D for years, and I still love it. But Pianoteq feels more alive and responsive. The Bechstein is my favorite model. It’s also very tweakable(Pro version). If my Mac had 32GB or more RAM, I might use Am. Concert D on some songs.

I’m pretty sure all their stuff from that era was the Yamaha DX-7 which can be easily replicated with NI’s FM-8 or almost any other FM virtual plugin

You are right, this is possible, but for 19$ Sampleson is worth a try