Volume control

Hello. Still in trial mode, about to buy the real thing.
In Ableton you can control the volume from within the vst. Saving you project it remembers that volume.
Or you set the volume in an Instrument Rack. Also it will be remembered when the project is saved.
A third way to use the sliders at the bottom of a Instrument Rack. You can midi learn those sliders.
How can I arrange to set all volumes right and equally for all rackspaces, but still will be able to have volume control for each keyboard (3) and a master volume.
I will build multiple rackspaces each with 3 keyboard-blocks to play a setlist with several vst-sounds.

Volume depends on the sound and not on the position of a gain control.
Using gain control widgets you can make sure the volume is correct

1 Like

I guess different people do it differently. Here is my view:

In each rackspace, you are using a mixer (or maybe just a gain/balance if you are only using one instrument in the rackspace).

Then you would set up a widgets connected to the mixer channels you are using.

There is a great six channel widget panel that I now always just set up for each rackspace. (Thank you Joey!). It has all the meters and all the faders and knobs you would typically ever need. I love it!

Here it is:

If you use setlist mode (like me) you might often use the “snapshot” feature to try to get the right levels within each song and across all songs in a setlist so you do not need to manually ride the volume as much. The “snapshot” feature basically allows you to modify any widget in the variation on a song and song-part basis. It is extremely useful, especially to get all the relative volumes lined up within a song and across a setlist.

I may be a bit weird in that I have my audio interface sitting on my keyboard and use that as a master controller for GP. I don’t think that is the norm.

If I am using internal keyboard sounds, I just use the volume controller on the keyboard. But, again I am a little weird (or let’s just say “in the minority”) in that I do not run the audio from my hardware keyboards back through GP. That is probably a better approach, but, for a number of reasons (laziness?!) I have not gone that route.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

I love weird :grin:.
I think this is the tip I was looking for. Ill give this a try. Thank you Jeffn1

1 Like

Hey @jeffn1 , hope you could help me one more time in this matter. I’ve altered the controls a bit and reduced them from 6 to 3 (not yet to be seen on the image). Ive assigned the volume sliders to 3 sliders on one of my keyboards. What I dont (yet) is the following.
When I turn the knob for GAIN nothing seems to happen. When I open the GAIN-blocks and move the slider in the opened window, the sounds volume changes. I think the red knob and the GAIN-sliders should be synced. Am I wrong. Is there something I need to do next?

I think the issue is the panels widgets (6 channel panel) are not connected to the parameters you are looking to control (in this case the gain or the mixer faders in the rackspace).

The 6 channel panel just saves you the time (and probably looks much better) of setting up the widgets. But, you have to connect the panel faders to the actual parameters (hopefully I am using the correct terminology).

Maybe this youtube video will help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeIz2eBD2kQ

And here (look around the 3:10 mark): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHlPqSqQSSk

Jeff

1 Like

Yes, I think I know what you mean and surely the second video makes sense.
That’s for the next day for now. I’ll let you know If it works. And then write it down as my own manual.
Thanks man!!

1 Like

And, of course, the manual (which is excellent): How to connect a widget to a plugin parameter?

2 Likes

Yep, that works fine. Even added Patch Persist to the Rackspace. I programmed this at the diningtable. Tomorrow I will test it with the keyboards attached. Thanks again @jeffn1 . Preciate it.

1 Like

Splendid!!

1 Like

When I created this rackspace, the reason for the Gain blocks was to be able to control volume levels of the instruments independently of the instrument itself. Depending on what I was doing would depend on if I actually used the Gain or just left it flat.

1 Like

Well @Joey , I’m using it now too. My purpose is to adjust the quiet and loud vst-presets by default, come out with a volume thats comparable with the other ones that has been.loaded at that moment. I use 3 keyboards simultaneously each with its own preset needed for that song.
So via @jeffn1 I came up with your rackspace and made it my own now. Thank you a lot!!

2 Likes