Vocoder/Vocal Harmonizer

Does anyone have experience with a VST that can be used to create similar vocal effects as this keyboard player for example:

Maybe this?
https://www.waves.com/plugins/ovox-vocal-resynthesis?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg46Jx4qe7wIVXgCiAx26ewgYEAAYASAAEgLvwvD_BwE#how-do-you-sound-with-waves-ovox

The magic words to search for is “talkbox effect”.
Unfortunately I personally don’t know a dedicated plugin for this, but maybe it helps you to find one.

Strohhalm plug-im Mund? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here is the same keyboarder (Lorenz Rhode) playing this song alone, with a good view on what he’s doing.
So because of the hose he is singing into tgis definitely is a talkbox he is using…

And here is an article that describes how the daftpunk sound is made by using the Ovox VST… nice, but no comparison to the real talkbox sound (or maybe the tutorial just wasn’t good):

1 Like

iZotope VocalSynth Pro?

I have got a set of their very good plugins, but they all require a physical iLok dongle (all other iLok protected plugins I have don’t need the dongle anymore).

But it really does the job:

By looking at the tube it’s probably the Rocktron (although something else could be attached to it…). I got one myself, and it’s really fun playing with it, although your dental fillings may not like it as much (with higher volumes) :joy:

It’s easy to add into your live setup, probably only an extra line-out to go to the box.
Really hard to recreate this with a vst afaik, unfortunately…

Would this do it?

Thank you all! I will try VocalSynth and Articulator the next days.

The is currently an offer from Melda, it’s MVododer for 25€. But no idea if it could do the job or not…

Thank you! Unfortunately, I do not have so much time at the moment. But I will test all and share my experiences here then.

I am very curious about this. :wink:

I’m currently using Waves Morphoder, which Waves has on sale Morphoder Synth Vocoder Plugin | Waves

I’m using Synth1, which is a good general purpose (free) Nord Lead clone. It seems to work better than the internal carrier feature of vocoder, especially since you can set up some vibrato pitch modulation, which is important to get a good sounding talkbox/vocoder solo lines.

I’m feeding a cheapo gooseneck mic signal into the vocoder that also has some compression to even out the signal before going into the vst

I will see if I can find my presets to help you get a decent starting point

1 Like

what was your experience ?
i´m also interested to get a “Talkbox” effect by using a VST.

Vocalsynth 2 is a bit steep with 200$
Antares is what, a monthly pay model ? (guess antares is not for me…looking at their page)

hmm, ok, Waves Ovox could be something
right now on sale at 29$. (edit: worth to look at “audioDelux” )

I don’t care how good any given Waves plugin is, I refuse to use them anymore. I own a bunch of Waves licenses, but installed ZERO of them on my new DAW laptop. Why? Two reasons. 1) WUP. 2) The proliferation of Waves shells. I never thought anything could p’ me off more than apps/plugins that require the physical iLok dongle (or now Cloud) like Slates plugins (no support for licensing to a machine, which I have never had a problem with), but Waves managed it. I had Waves v9, v10, v11 and v12 shells. New shells created when installing new plugins, not a single shell for each Waves version. And WUP. Don’t get me started. $29 is just the hook. Then they release a new version and WUP your butt.

1 Like

I have honestly only tried “Vocalsynth 2”. Antares has a too “aggressive” licensing policy for me.
But since even with Vocalsynth 2 I only came close to a real “talkbox”, I decided to stay away from it for now.

1 Like

totally understand your point.
i´m in the same boat finally.
But sometimes its worth it to me to spned some with the risk of a fail.
Bought it finally, bought it at audiodelux where i had some “tolkens” or wahtever left,
and got it for under 20$.
I stay away from “Waves” as much i can, and have now two plugins from them.
Not shure what you mean with “WUP”

i´ll see how long they run.
personally i sometimes just buy a soft, so i´m frree to “test it”, when it suits my time.

the software and plugin people “who really deliver” - like GP4- make good for the money i waiste on software elsewhere.
Its my math nowadays…I´m fine with that. Works out for me.
so, i “can” give it to me to waiste some, quasi by purpose :wink:

1 Like

WUP is Waves Update Plan. Once you have a bunch of their plugins, it caps at $249/year. That’s ridiculous. A hidden subscription, basically. To keep your plugins up-to-date, you need to purchase WUP for them after the first year.

1 Like