Using MIDI file to control parameters not a controller

I’m trying to figure how I will run my backing tracks, which are MIDI for certain instruments I’m not playing and audio for backing vocals. I want to trigger the audio from MIDI and also automate rackspace and widget changes with MIDI files.

I read this article and it seems that the MIDI file must be in the global rackspace. I expect my automations to be different for every song obviously, and wanted to create a rackspace for each tune. I don’t exactly get it. I use the global rackspace to create a “custom midi plug in” with the script? But then the MIDI In plugin (GP Port) can be placed anywhere? But then I have to play the midi file from the global rackspace?

I want to control mixer movements, trigger audio samples linked to widgets and drive the same synthesizer with both a keyboard controller and a midi file.

Is GP not the right solution?

Hey @NewAquarius – welcome to the community forum! :slight_smile:

1. Do you think that it is a good idea to record all your MIDI backing tracks as audio backing tracks?
    Link: [blog] How to improve the sound quality of instruments in your MIDI files

2. More convenient way to manipulate things is using automation provided by the Streaming Audio Player plugin using Markers and Actions. [blog] Gig Performer and backing track users

3. You can have the MIDI File Player block in each rackspace (or have them in both rackspaces and the Global rackspace). Also widget can be moved ‘timer based’. [blog] Scrolling your lyrics or lead sheets

It is the right solution, but depending on your use case, some experimentation may be needed.

1 Like