Usb Keyboard Disconnects/Stops Signal after random amount of time

Yeah I think powered hub is better.
For me when I wasn’t using a powered hub, I had some crashes or lag. Or for exemple I had the wifi that wasn’t working anymore when the non-powered hub was plugged in with several ports.
It seems to be a long road before being able to go on stage bulletproof.
A good computer, GP, a powered usb hub, a good sound interface !!

1 Like

The road to Heaven :innocent:

Seems to be behaving with powered hub

Help.
Usb still disconnects from GP.
Using powered hub now
Impulse keyboard loses connection with GP
This time I had a midi din connection as well as usb plugged into impulse keyboard .
No midi in on usb midi monitor in gp.
But there is midi coming out from midi din plug into a midi module connected
Open another instance shows Usb midi in from impulse.

I’d just like to point out that your keyboard is not disconnecting from GP. It is disconnecting from your computer in general. GP simply uses what your system provides as far as midi is concerned.

Check the sleep settings on all of your devices and make sure nothing goes to sleep or powers off your usb ports.

All my usb devices go into a powered hub and then into one port on pc, all other devices stay connected, the impulse keyboard stays on when disconnects from gp. It is still outputting midi data but not showing in gp, by opening another instance it is showing midi input.
All sleep usb settings have been set previously.
Cheers

Thanks.

How did you verify this?

Another instance of GP?
If so - can you routinely open two instances of GP and have the same keyboard generate midi events in both instances?

Does this happen if you plug your keyboard directly into the USB port without any hubs and leave things running?

When everything working ok
When main instance open midi in ok, open another instance at same time then there is no midi in on second instance.
When losing impulse keyboard the opposite happens.

Impulse keyboard has usb out and midi out and can output both at same time, when impulse faults it’s still outputting midi data but not in gp

Fault also happens if plugged straight into USB ports on computer, doesn’t matter which port it’s plugged into
This is a random fault , occurs once in 4days

Do you also loose the USB MIDI of your controller when only one GP instance makes use of it and no other application? (especially if you run Windows, it could be that your USB MIDI driver is not happy with several MIDI client using it)

Neve tried it with only one usb connected,always used two keyboards, usb monitor, and Focusrite usb plugged into powered hub on hardware pc,
It also faults when same setup connected to laptop then no usb monitor connected.

I have two impulse identical keyboards but one is built into console so would be hard to substitute it if it’s faulty keyboard

That suggests that your MIDI interface driver cannot support multiple MIDI interfaces

How is the MIDI Out of that keyboard actually connected to your computer?

Usb thru powered hub

Impulse midi usb out to powered hub
Impulse midi din out to organ module

My suugestion was not to have only one USB connected by to have only one application that makes use of your controllers. I suspect exactly the same than @dhj

Are we talking Focusrite midi or computer mid driver, confused?
Do I need a better sound interface such as rme?

The keyboard controller that disconnects is connected via USB to your computer. For you computer to understand, that this keyboard controller is “talking” MIDI, there is a piece of software called USB-MIDI driver. If you want your keyboard controller to talk “MIDI” with several application and/or several GP instance (a GP instance means one or more GP running at the same time), this USB-MIDI driver has to be capable of this which is not the case for every USB-MIDI drivers especially when running Windows. So let’s consider only the USB-MIDI driver of your “faulty” controller and let’s check if there is still an issue when you make sure that ONLY ONE application makes use of it. If it works like this it means that the USB-MIDI driver of this controller doesn’t support to work with several application at the same time and a different stragegy will have to be adopted.

Understood, thanks for comprehensive answer. Cheers

A similar event last Thursday evening, first rehearsal sinds the lockdown:

I use two to three usb-midi controllers on my laptop. What I forgot to bring with me, was the power supply for my launchkey 49. It normally is connected via an usb hub, but I put the board itself on a separate power supply.
During rehearsing, the connection got lost several times. I put the midi monitor in to check, but all remained blank.
Normally, when everything is set-up at home there are no problems, disconnections, what so ever! It only seems to happen when I need it badly (rehearsal/gigs)!

I’m not sure, as I’m definitely not a technician, but could it be that your disconnection is due to the impulse not having it’s own power supply?
When I set everything up again this morning (including power supply) everything was working fine again.