The MIDI Channel constrainer

Hi there!

I’m trying to work with the MIDI Chanel constrainer but I think I’m screwing up…

I want to have a couple of plug-ins that I Can control with one controller (turn on/off plug-in). I set that up, with the midi Chanel constrainers on top.
But what do I do next? I’m trying to assign knobs with midi-learn. That works, but when I press the button on the controller, notthing happens.
I watched this video How To Use The MIDI Channel Constrainer In Gig Performer 4 (Feat. Lukas Ruschitzka) - YouTube but it didn’t really help me out.
Can anyone help me with this?

Many thanks!!!

Hi @Ron

Do you want to bypass plugins, or do something else?
If you want to bypass the plugins from your controller, that has nothing to do with the midi channel constrainer. You would add different widgets to a panel, map those to plugin bypass, and then midi learn them (which can support different channels).

1 Like

Hi Rank,

Yes, I want to be able to turn on another plug-in (sound). But when I do this by enabling bypass on/off it just adds the sound. What I really want is if I push another button it doesn’t only turns on that sound, it also bypasses (turns off) the active sound. I hope I explain it correct, english is not my native language :frowning:

Maybe you should start by first telling us some more about the MIDI controller you are using, the plugins you want to use and then just describe what you want to do, or what you expect to happen.
If we better know about your general goals, we surely can help you to get there on the best way to go.
Maybe the use of things like MIDI-constrainers and such might just not be the best appraoch for what you actually want to do…
Thanks in advance for helping us to help you. :slight_smile:

Okay, here goes;

The midi controller is a m-audio oxygen 61, I want to use the buttons marked in the red square (see image).
I’ve also added a screenshot of the gig performed set-up.

The numbers on the controller (image) controller the numbers on the set-up (image).

What I want is when for example plugin 1 is active and I press the second button on the controller, the second plugin gets activated AND the first will be bypassed. And if I press number 4 on the controller, number 4 plugin gets activated and the previous plugin will be bypassed.

I hope that’s a better explanation of the situation :wink:

If you open GP’s Global Midi Monitor (Window menu) and press those buttons, what do they send?

Sorry, don’t know, the controller is in my rehearsal room. I thought I could just prep this at home and then later assign the buttons through midi-learn…

Sure….same as driving into town without knowing how your car works😀

All joking aside, it’s fine to do prep without the devices once you have so experience with the devices and know how they work but when you’re starting out, you really need to know how your controllers work, what data they send out, etc

In particular, from your description of what you’re wanting to do, the midi constrainer seems like the wrong approach.

You should probably be using buttons to bypass the plugins (or individual MIDI In blocks attached to each controller) and then learn those buttons.

I’m sorry I thought this would be a piece of cake, I didn’t want to ridicule your knowledge.

I have done something like this before, but when I wanted to switch sound, I had to press one button to activate the desired plug-in and another button to bypass the previous one (like on/off buttons).
I’m looking for an option to activate a plug-in and at the same time deactive/bypass the previous one.

But I’ll check the midi messages the buttons send tonight :+1:

Thanks for your help so far!

If you only want to activate one plugin at a time via the buttons, it’s sounding like you might need a special solution using scripting for ‘radio button’ functionality. Otherwise, the default behaviour will be that each button is independent, meaning you have to press a button to turn one off as well as press the next one to turn it on.

Edit: if you search the forum for ‘radio buttons’ there’s some detailed solutions.

1 Like

Basically I did this

Thanks!!! :+1:

This is the one I’m thinking of:

Looks like that’s exactly what I’m looking for, thank you so much!

If you only want one plugin on at a time why don’t you put each one on a separate rackspace? Or use buttons and variations

1 Like

We’re like a ‘jam’-band, so we don’t really have songs. I want to be able to switch sound fast and easy.

For another band I use different rackspaces according to our set-list, but that’s not really an option for the this band.

Thanks for your reply!

I may have been overthinking. Using separate rackspaces will definitely end up the quickest and easiest way to set this up. If you’re loading everything into memory it will also be instant switching.

Yeah, but bypassing/unbypassing plugins “on the fly”, means “while playing”, can be problematic - most probably you might get stuck notes or, dependent on the plugins you use, unwanted sound “glitches” when you re-activate a plugin that has been bypassed before while playing a sound (and this is no issue of Gig Performer).
Best would be if you actually would try to work with diffrent rackspaces or variations (as dhj already mentioned)… switching between these will happen instantly and with no glitches!
The only issue that might occur, is that the buttons on your controller are probably not able to send program change messages, but only CC messages…
You actually could use the setlist/songpart mode as a workaround for this, since in setlist mode you can learn any(!) MIDI message to activate a certain song part (which would work as radiobuttonns do).
And since song parts are always connected to a particular rackspace variation, you could easily set up a “pseudo song” with 8 song parts which would represent the 8 diffrent instruments (where each of them would be a separate rackspace or variation).

Thanks for all your comments. Got it working now with radio buttons. Gonna test it out tonight.

1 Like