Sync Instances - new 4.7 feature

The new feature to sync instances via Rackspace- or Song-list is perfect to move the CPU hungry B-3X organ to a separate instance to distribute the load to a second CPU core. Very useful and easy to use … Thanks.

Is it possible to sync the Main Instance with more than one SubInstance? Would be useful to separate an other CPU hungry VST (like a Moog Synth) from the Main Instance and use more of the available CPU cores.

I assume that the current implementation is limited to a 0ne-2-One connection?!? Or did i overlook something?

It should be one master - multiple slaves

Not on the same machine — you can’t have multiple applications listening on the same OSC port, so for now it will only work with a master and a slave (or to use the new terminology, a leader and a follower)

Edit: just speculating now since I’m not near a computer. I don’t remember if, when you use that sync mechanism, whether the receiving instance will send the message out again after receiving the change. If it does, then I suppose you could have the second one resend to a third instance if you configured the ports properly — but be very careful not to set up a loop

OSC Cascade of instances should work, or do I miss something?

This works on Windows 11.

Main instance + two instances. See the configuration.

1 Like

No, I just don’t remember :slight_smile:

Thanks for the feedback and explanation. Will try to cascade instances.

It would be great if a future GP release provides a way to manage more than one follower to distribute VSTs to different CPU cores and to mange them more independent as a separate entity with their own rackspaces and set-ups.

You are free to use scripting and send the required OSC messages to different ports
and the instances are listening on this different ports.

This I did in Gig Performer before 4.7

1 Like

i have used the scripting and OSC msg before … but the new feature in 4.7 is nice and easy to use and fool proof :slightly_smiling_face: .

That also the reason it would be great it the feature can be extended to more than one follower without using the cascading.

You can’t have multiple applications listening on the same OSC port on the same computer, but you can set up instances like in the screenshot I posted above – three instances on the same computer.

That would require that more than 1 remote listening port can be defined.

But for now this solution is working for you?

absolut … no problem … the cascading instances are working…

1 Like