Stereo to Mono

I have a question for the general group. Most of my use of GP is at gigs where the FOH and monitors are both Mono, so when you do your connections do you just connect one side (like Left outputs only) or do you always connect both sides of stereo plugins to one output of the audio interface? Just curious about how most folks handle this.

Best you try to use bus layout and set the output of a plugin to mono

It would depend on your sound. If you want to be stereo and have stereo effects in your sound - you should use stereo output. Many effects do benefit from a stereo connection.

Otherwise - you can, of course, connect things to just one channel. As @pianopaul suggests - you could use the bus layout for each block to make things mono so the plugin is aware you are working in mono mode.

1 Like

I have my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio interface routed to an Ashley 1U line mixer in my rack that has a stereo mix out and a mono mix out. They are all connected to three DI boxes, and the XLR outputs are routed to the front of my rack, so I can hook up either way. I also have a lightweight QSC power amp in my rack and some old Elite wedges I bring for my own monitor mix control (independent from the monitor engineer) so I have a stereo mix of myself, regardless of what the venue has.

hmm…
Most of the sounds I use on stage are stereo. For example stereo piano samples and stereo tremolo or stereo delay effects.
But now I just want to have one active monitor on stage.
If I connect either the left or right output to it, I will only hear half of the e-piano with stereo tremolo, for example. If I connect both outputs, phase cancelling of the stereo samples occurs.
How do you solve this problem?

I did a brief web search and i found those two plugins that may help you with your problem (or not)… at least they both are free to download and this might be worth a try. :sunglasses:

and
https://www.maat.digital/2buscontrol/

Good luck with that!:+1:

I found a monomaker vst:

I am using bx_solo and it is working very well.
And most important: The generated stereo signal is mono compatible!

1 Like

Thank you very much for your information and tips!
Another question that has nothing to do with GP right now:
Is there a difference (and if so, which one) between these procedures?

1. connecting both stereo signals with GP to a mono output of the audio interface
  2. put the stereo outputs of the audio interface into two inputs of a hardware mixer, and set both channels there in the center.
  3. summing both stereo signals with GP in e.g. Brainworx bx_solo (with the setting M Solo), and then send this signal to a mono output of the audio interface