Slapback issue [Solved - due to direct monitoring]

I’ve had a BIG problem trying to record GP4 into my DAW, both of which are on the same computer. After a long live chat with Focusrite, the issue is that GP4 essentially acts as a DAW and Focusrite can only support one DAW. I’m using Studio One 4.

As a workaround, I’m trying to use a separate computer with GP4 and another Focusrite audio interface with the audio output going to the computer with Studio One. It works great. The only problem is there is a slapback latency on the GP4 computer. This slapback only happens when GP4 is open. When it’s closed, there is no latency at all. Any solutions to eliminating this slapback latency? Windows 10 PC, Focusrite 4i4. No other software on this PC, it is used strictly for GP4. I’ve seen the article on GP’s website about this issue. While that states that it CAN be done, it doesn’t actually show HOW it’s done on a PC - only on a Mac.

So…IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO DO THIS, I’LL PAY CASH MONEY (well, PayPal or Venmo) to be shown how it’s done. Screenshots, videos - maybe even remote desktop. PM me or mountainmetalarts@yahoo.com. Thanks in advance for any help you’re able to offer.

Actually, it has nothing to do with GP4 “essentially acting as a DAW” and everything to do with the problem that many audio interface drivers can’t handle more than one audio application at a time. If you ran Skype Zoom and made it use that audio interface, you’d find that you wouldn’t be able to simultaneously use your DAW, GP or any other application that wanted audio.

As for slapback, I interpret that to mean that you’re saying that GP4 is echoing any audio coming into it. However, GP4 will not do that unless you specifically connect an input to an output so I’m not quite sure what you mean by slapback.

Having said all of the above, the solution when a multi-client audio interface driver is not included, is to use a virtual audio driver. We have a blog article on the topic of recording GP into your DAW

https://gigperformer.com/recording-your-gig-performer-performance-with-a-daw/

and although the example is for a DAW running on a Mac, it does have a reference to at least one virtual audio driver (VB-Audio Virtual Apps) although there are undoubtedly quite a few out there.

2 Likes

Thanks, DHJ. It sounds like you’re saying the same thing I’m saying and it actually does have something to do with GP4 “essentially acting as a DAW” which is the same thing as “many audio interface drivers can’t handle more than one audio application at a time.” So I’m not sure what you’re trying to say that’s different than the problem defined by a Focusrite rep and my experience.

Slapback is a common term used in music. I play a note on the guitar. I hear that note and then the same sound is heard again, delayed slightly. Like the sound on those early Sun records. I’m connecting an output (from audio interface #1 and the computer hosting GP4) to an input (to audio interface #2 on the computer with Studio One DAW) and getting a slapback. Which again is the original signal, with a second signal repeated microseconds after the original signal. This slapback sound is only happening on the GP4 computer and only happens when GP4 is open. Without GP4 the sound is perfect with no slapback.

The virtual audio driver sounds like a great idea and thank you for the reference article. I’ve read that article before and while it describes that it CAN be done and describes where to get the tool to do it, it doesn’t actually tell HOW to do it or SHOW how to do it on a PC, only on a Mac. Don’t get me wrong - I love being told that it can be done, I just need to know HOW it’s done and so far no one is able to do so.

I’ll say this here and if possible will edit my original post: I’m willing to pay cash money - well PayPal or Venmo, anyway - to anyone who can show me how to do this. Either with detailed screenshots, video or possibly remote desktop. PM me or mountainmetalarts@yahoo.com if you can help.

Until then, I’m assuming GP4 doesn’t work for what I need. I’ve already spent a day trying to get this to work and have reached a dead end.

I wanted to clarify from DAW to “audio app” because otherwise it might seem that while one couldn’t use two DAWs one could still use one DAW and and Skype (say) at the same time.

Yeah, I know what “slapback” means, but the question was why you were getting it, i.e, were you hearing the guitar directly (i.e. the physical acoustic guitar) or through monitoring? Generally, when the term “slapback” is used, it mean an explicit single echo added to the original sound inside the system, not a delay of the initial physical playing — the latter is would simply be considered latency.
However, it sounds like you are trying to monitor your guitar with Gig Performer and you should not be doing that. You should ONLY be monitoring from your DAW – the article notes

We also turn on input monitoring (green arrow) so you can hear what you are playing in Gig Performer before you start recording.

Correct - I wrote that article and I used Logic as my example because that’s the DAW I use. We can’t possibly describe how to do it in every DAW that exists in the world. My assumption is that someone familiar with another DAW would be able to apply the explanation in this article to their own DAW. Pretty much all decents DAWs have the same concepts (Input device, output device, sample rate, buffer size, input monitoring, etc)

1 Like

Even if @ScottE does install a virtual audio driver on Windows, I think that he cannot use it on the same PC if his audio driver isn’t multi-client.

Therefore, he needs to use either ASIO4ALL (I described its use here: Gig Performer | How to record Gig Performer's outputs via Gig Performer's Record feature on Windows )

Or to use abandonware ASIOLINK Pro.

Despite being abandonware, ASIOLink Pro works the best (i.e. doesn’t introduce additional latency), while all other solutions (Voicemeeter, ASIO4ALL…) may introduce latency.

2 Likes

I’m not getting latency. I hear the note I play in real time and then a second note a microsecond later. I’ve abandoned the idea of trying to use one computer for both DAW and GP. GP is on a second computer and that signal is fed into the audio interface of the first computer where DAW works. Since the slapback is only happening when GP is open, then djh’s suggestion may be the answer: “it sounds like you are trying to monitor your guitar with Gig Performer and you should not be doing that.” How do I “not monitor with GP?”

Hmm, it was my understanding that with virtual cables on windows, you would configure gig performer to send audio out through virtual cable to the DAW. The DAW would use virtual cable for input and then talk to the physical driver for output…hence only one client using physical driver.

Is that not how it works?

1 Like

How ?

Have you made sure that (a) your audio interface is not directly routing input audio directly to output instead of just feeding it to your DAW?

Also, assuming you have a modern fast machine, you should not really have any problems running GP and your DAW on the same computer, using virtual audio driver to pass audio from GP to your DAW. Lots of users do this,

1 Like

I’d need to experiment with this, as I didn’t try recording Gig Performer in a DAW, just with Gig Performer itself using a virtual cable.

At this point this is not relevant. Let’s forget the DAW computer. The guitar goes into the Focusrite audio interface and then that signal goes into GP. Listening through the headphone output of the audio interface there is a slapback. When I close GP, or remove the connections from the Audio Out within GP, the slapback disappears.

How do I NOT monitor my guitar with Gig Performer?

If lots of users do this, hopefully someone can detail step-by-step instructions. I’m not doing anything weird, here. Guitar > Focusrite 4i4 Audio Interface > Gig Performer 4 > headphone out of Focusrite.

How is your Samplerate and buffer size in Gig Performer?
For my understanding: you hear your guitar input signal through your interface.
Normally this does not introduce latency.
Then you go into gig performer and through your plugins and from Gig Performer again into the audio interface right?

Are you sure that you’re using the ASIO driver?
Check your Audio options.

Only time when I experienced the issue you described is due to the driver type.

You monitor it through your DAW. Hence the comment in the blog about enabling input monitoring in your DAW

If you are hearing the sound twice through your headphone output then I am certain it is because your audio interface is routing your guitar directly to the headphone output.

Hence you hear it directly and then a moment later after it goes from your audio interface go Gig Performer and then back into your interface.

I don’t know which Focusrite you’re using but a quick google search pops up the following examples where you are told explicitly that input is being routed right back to headphone output.

This is not a Gig Performer problem.

2 Likes

As I said above, I am not using a DAW unless GP is considered a DAW. Guitar > Focusrite 4i4 Audio Interface > Gig Performer. We’re getting into a weird place because Focusrite is saying it’s a Gig Performer problem and you’re saying it’s a Focusrite problem.

1 Like

Try lower the audio buffer size.

Correct.

For that use case the audio buffer size of 512 samples is much too high.
You have more than 20 msec latency…

1 Like