Separate gig file per song

Now I know that this is probably overkill, but I’m currently considering a separate gig file per song for my band”s 33-song set list. This is primarily because I want to use a large number of plugins, and a variety of patches within those plugins, AND in a series of different combinations of splits and layers. Doing this all via shared rackspaces with widgets and multiple MIDI blocks assigned to different variations seems overly complex to me. I have a MacBook Pro M1 Pro with 32Gb Ram which loads large files super quick. I’m thinking that the separate gig per song approach will give me unlimited freedom re loading different sound options per song, rather than expanding an already huge gig file (25gb and counting). But am interested to hear people”s opinions. Thanks!

Perhaps you could consider the Predictive Loading option? I think it would make it easier to have a 33-songs gig file with Predictive Loading activated rather then loading each song separately.

Thanks David-san, that looks like a really useful feature that would help to maximise my available resources. On reading the Guide, it talks a lot about the order of rackspaces, but my songs often use a few shared rackspaces within song parts. So for example, 8 of my 32 songs in my setlist might use the same piano rackspace. When in setlist mode, does the predictive loading feature load rackspaces required for the current song (and those required for the songs adjacent to it), regardless of the order of said rackspaces?

Yes, when in Setlist mode, the order considered is the one of the Setlist.

1 Like

This may or may not apply to you but I we able to make my gig file smaller.

I had a 10 gb gig file that was using Kontact and SampleTank. I switched to all Kontact an it’s under 6 gb now. So I’m thinking it may be loading just one instance of kontact.

There is a technique of minimizing Kontact sample loading in an article on gigperformer website. I haven’t tried it yet.

Really ?
Are you sure 10 Giga Byte?

I don’t understand how you could possibly get a 10Gb file unless your plugins are actually storing samples as part of the plugin state (I think BLISS used to do that)

I just looked at my own gig files for my three bands and the largest one I have is 26Mb

Yes, but in the new version of BLISSm you can decide if it is stored in the plugin state or reloads it from disk

You are correct- I stated it incorrectly. it’s not the file size but the memory used when loaded that was up to 10gb.

OK - that’s completely different – now you’re dealing with samples that are loaded in RAM, etc.

For Kontakt you can use the Purge option as described in our blog article to reduce significantly your needed samples

1 Like

I was thinking about something similar when it seemed my 32 GB ram (Dell XPS 13) laptop was reaching the max.

I guess one thing to consider is whether you really are having (or will have) a problem with lack of ram.

See Computer resources concerns

I ended up buying a laptop that maxes out out 128 GB ram (but only 64 GB installed). I am still in the process of setting it up, But my old (32 GB Ram) laptop is still working fine, so did I need to do that? I don’t know. Perhaps not.

I was concerned about Predictive Loading too. But consider that with the max number of songs (covering each setlist).

Or maybe a different gig file for each set (just switch between sets).

A different gig file per song seems like overkill/unnecessarily burdensome with a laptop with 32 GB of ram.

I see no problem with having many complicated rackspaces and songs in the setlist of one gig file.
I have 1 rackspace per song, so my gig file with a setlist with 60 songs loads 60 rackspaces, each with Omnisphere, NI Kontakt, HalionSonic, many FX and more, and of course many MIDI in blocks. No problem. Even without predictive loading.
Loading the gig takes 1 minute, and loads 20 GB in to RAM, on my laptop with 32GB in total.
No problem. Everything is there instantly during the gig.

What would be your method in using separate gig files per song? If you would load them in parallel, RAM usage would be much worse, compared to all songs in one gig file. And how would you switch seemlessly between songs?

Thanks everyone for all your advice. I have now completed building my 33-song set list, and it looks like I have about 1/3 of my RAM still available. Based on everything I’ve heard here, I think I’m going to stick with a single gig file to house multiple rackspaces and songs, and investigate Predictive Loading only if RAM becomes a problem in the future.

3 Likes