Roli Seaboard

Anbody using the Seaboard with Gig Performer?

I think @NothanUmber is using the Seaboard Rise 49;
I have a couple of Lightpad Blocks and lots of other MPE controllers/instruments…

I’ve been using the Rise 49 and the various blocks for over a year with GP. Also using the Keith McMillen K-Board Pro 4.

So, does GP support the MPE MIDI extension or not? If I understand we’ll, the VST plugin has to be also compatible…

Regarding the seaboard that I tested once, it is not that easy. This controller makes me lose any chance of virtuosity in favour of the new controls. It has something very attractive and at the same time something that stops me… probably the price :grimacing:

As I know, MPE is supported by Gig Performer.

If you are sure of that it could be interesting to send a mail to Roli, to add Gig Performer in their compatibility list:

https://support.roli.com/support/solutions/articles/36000037202-compatible-synths-daws-and-instruments

Interesting is that they also give the MPE specs:
https://support.roli.com/helpdesk/attachments/36006156413

If GP supports it it should be possible to make many VST plugin compatible…

Very interesting demo, but be careful, it is not that easy to play the seaboard, Marco Parisi is really an excellent musician:

Hi, yes, GP works with the Seaboard. But it’s really more about the synth, GP just shouldn’t interfere (e.g. by dropping certain events or forgetting the midi channel etc., like Live does) - which it doesn’t. The scripting feature also allows to specify channels etc. and thus can be used to consume and create MPE events.

2 Likes

Without scripting GP cannot deal with MPE?

As I understand it, there are different definitions as to what constitutes supporting MPE. Since GP allows MIDI events to pass through and retains their channel, an MPE instrument can talk to an MPE plugin inside GP with no problem. Apparently some DAWs rechannelize incoming MIDI thereby causing a problem.

4 Likes

As dhj wrote, GP doesn’t mess up incoming midi events, thus midi events from an mpe compatible controller like the Seaboard can reach an mpe compatible synth unhindered.
Scripting isn’t necessary for this. What I meant is that GP scripting allows to consume and create midi events in a channel aware manner, thus mpe events can be processed - if desired.

3 Likes

Yes - to clarify again - Gig Performer works perfectly with your MPE controllers and instruments and is therefore MPE compatible.

2 Likes

Hi. I’m currently using Ableton Live for keyboard gigs. I downloaded GP for test and I like it but y use as 2d controller two seaboard blocks. It works ok in GP with compatible plugins but I use Kontakt for some sounds and only accepts pitchbend to an octave. ALive has a mpe module where you can x2 or x4 the pitchbend amount. Maybe a Scriplet can be done to that purpose but Im not know how to do it. Thanks

This question, as asked, makes little sense. The max pitch bend range of Kontakt is plus or minus one octave.
As I understand it, the ROLI keyboard pitch bend can have its range set also to that same range.

Pitch bend is a 14-bit value — you can’t multiply it by anything and get a larger value.

So I doubt very much that Ableton is doing 2x or 4x times pitch bend unless the ROLI is set to a smaller pitchbend amount in which case you could map a GP widget to the incoming pitchbend message and then attach that to the Pitchbend parameter of the MIDI In block controlling Kontakt and adjust the scaling curve to get a larger range but you’re still not going to get more than a single octave up or down from Kontakt using pitch bend.

That said, you could map a widget to the Tune parameter in Kontakt (via host automation) and that will get you more than an octave but it won’t be smooth since the Tune parameter in Kontakt moves in semitone amounts.

Unless of course I’m missing something…

Hi, thanks for responding and sorry if my english is not so good. But yes theres a midi processor called 'MPE Control" that has x2 x4 and x8 to the pitchbend so without modifying the Roli 48 steps you can control Kontakt set at 12 steps x4 48 steps and works perfect. Theres no way to automate that in Roli Dashboard so Ableton come with that to modify the MPE data and works great.

What are the min and max values that the Roli actually sends out?

Well making some test now theres something I dont understand. In G Perf If I slide a 5th midi monitor shows something about PB 9300 thats with the seaboard at 48 semitones. When I change to Live in Midi monitor the scale its maximun 127. If I slide a 5th at 1x its PB 73 at 2x PB 82 at 4x PB 100. At 4x the octave is PB 127. So doesnt make sense to me why the different scale.

First of all, you are confusing pitch bend MIDI Message values with semitones

Pitch bend values are 14-bit numbers (implemented using two 7-bit bytes) and range from 0 to 2^14 - 1 and the half-way value of 8192 generally represents no bending either upwards or downwards.

However, the amount of pitch bending that a synth performs in response to receiving a pitchbend value is 100% up to the synth. Some synths (hardware or software) will have maximum ranges of multiple octaves, others will have less (Kontakt only has a single octave).

Im sure Im confused about something like this that is too technical but Im a good user of midi for lots of years and going back to my first intention and not going too technical (like Im using Dig Performer and AbLive and Kontakt and I dont know anything about how they work inside anyway Im producing music with them) Going to the point In Live I can use Seaboard with Equator in 48 setting, I dont know if are semitones or steps or whathever and the slides works well. When I change to a sound with Kontakt I insert the “MPE Control” included in Live and set PitchBend to x4 and slide in Kontakt works exactly like Equator. So my question was if this is possible in Gig Performer. Nothing more, I know in Live is possible If you like I do a video and show it to you if you say where to send it. Thanks

Are you telling me that Kontakt notes are being pitch bended by more than 1 octave?