Rig Manager acting weird, Midi Aliases not working

I would do this:

Create a new Rig Manager with just your Midi Device Alias and 1 MIDI Control Alias for CC 30
and test with this.

Then change your controller by assigning the new physical device to the MIDI device alias and test again.

I tried to do a New Rig Manager template on a New Gig and it worked as intended, when I try to use that Rig Manager template on my Gig file the problem comes back. The thing that happens is that when I apply and save the Rig Manager preset of the new controller it doesn’t change.

So I made a new video showing that something in my gig file is not allowing the Rig Manager to do the change.

It does not change because the Alesis is not physically available.
In fact it does not change, it shows the correct physical device, when available

I just found out that it worked on the new gig because it was on a Local Rackspace, cause on a new gig I tried to put widgets on the global rackspace and it didn’t work. So the thing that is acting funny is my Global Rackspaces, which leads me back to my clean installation idea.

I never faced such an issue.
I try to reproduce:
Global Rackspace and a widget controlled by your Hardware.
It works
Now you switch to a different Rig in Rig Manager because you are using a different MIDI Controller.
And this is not working?

Which version of GP are you using?
And when you switch the Rig, are you sure the physical controllers are availlable?
Be aware that connecting via USB, Windows can give different names.
So you have to make sure that the phyiscal Controller is correctly mapped (and green) in
Rig Manager.

I cannot reproduce on Mac - tested with IAC driver because of missing hardware.
I set rot9 to IAC-1 CC 30 with rig “adpro pro driver”
and rot9 to IAC-2 CC 23 with “Alesis”

and when I switch the rig it is working fine.

I’m using version 4.1.5 on windows. I did a new installation on a windows tablet I have and I have the same problem in a totally new gig, it only happens on global rackspaces, and as you can’t reproduce it in mac maybe it is a windows thing. Does anyone here have a windows installation to see if it happens to you?. I can live with the problem, I’d just have to remap the widgets in the global rackspace, it’s just that I’m so in love with gigperformers ability to adapt to new hardware, it’s really beautiful.

1 Like

What if you click Apply first instead of Close or Save coming out of Gig Manager?

Same behavior

That’s a very thorough test, thanks for sharing. @2:30 you really pinpoint the behavior.

1 Like

I will experiment later tonight with this on my Windows laptop.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to report this so accurately - we will look into it.

2 Likes

Can you try the following experiment?

When you do the switch back to the Alesis and you go to the rig manager and select the Rig, can you press a key on the alesis and see if the appropriate device now flashes in the rig manager?

@VictorSantafe

I tried this on my Windows 10 laptop.

Open new gig in GP with KeyLab 61 in LF USB port
Open Rig Manager and make sure I was in the KeyLab 61 Rig
Click Apply and then Close
Go to Global Rackspace and create a knob widget and assign it to Keylab Pan 1
Widget turns
Unplug USB cable(still in the LF USB port) from KeyLab and plug it into Roland A-49
Open Rig Manager and change it to the Roland A-49 rig
Learn the Roland A-49 C1 knob to the KeyLab 61 Pan 1 Control Alias
Click Apply and then Close
Go to Global Rackspace
Turn the Roland A-49 C1 knob
Knob widget turns

Is this what you’re wanting to achieve, or am I missing something from your steps?

1 Like

yeah, that’s what I want to achieve, if it worked for you I’m thinking about what could my two windows computers have so that it doesn’t let them behave the normal way.

yeah the appropiate device flashes when I play or move the controllers, the problem is mostly that the midi message port doesn’t get changed when I apply and/or save in the global rackspaces.

I have faced similar issues. I believe it only happens with certain controllers (on windows). Have you tired restarting GP AFTER switching rigs in rig manager? In other words, choose the new rig in rig manager, apply/save then restart GP. Does it begin to work then?

4 Likes

Oh!, that worked, just closing Gig Performer and opening it again. It’s still troublesome but it’s still way better than remapping all the widgets in the global rackspace

Glad that worked! Yeah, not perfect but much better than remapping everything.

1 Like