Revisiting the storage space

Then you could have one song in each gig file in GP (just like you did in Logic) and still not have a problem :slight_smile:

You have no idea how many workarounds I’ve had to use to get Logic to run the way I want on stage.:nerd_face: . I don’t want to deal with that anymore. That’s why I didn’t get MainStage and came straight to you guys.

I’ve already taken the suggestions from Jeffn1, pianopaul, and you. I’ll report back here with the results.

I know Logic quite deeply….

This guy has 550 rackspaces and no issues - he’s using a surface pro so pretty sure he doesn’t have 128GB of RAM

I started with a Surface Pro 4 with 8 gig ram. Then I upgraded to a SP 6 with 16 gig. Then a SP 8 still with16, then the current SP 9 with 32gig and a gen12 Intel processor. I don’t use the set list feature, and I load each song as a rackspace. Predictive is set to 1.

If a song has a single guitar, then it will be ready to play in perhaps 3 seconds. If another song has drums, bass, guitar and keys, it could be a 7 or 8 second load time. Loading varies according to the content of the chosen r.s., and it makes no difference as to where it is positioned in the list - first, last, middle or anywhere else. I would love to have instant loading no matter what, so I have to live with what actually happens. I have become used to the waiting which isn’t as long as it seems. The loading time for the 550 gig file is about 3 1/2 minutes.

Thank you for your comment and the description of your setup.

With Gig Performer’s capabilities, I’m pretty sure I went in with higher expectations, expecting all songs to be available instantly. I’m lowering those expectations now. I don’t need everything immediately accessible. I didn’t have that in Logic either.

I did have one situation in mind where extremely fast switching would be great: As soon as a song ends, there are ways for the keyboardist to immediately play concise, short jingles live to keep the audience engaged. These are very distinctive melodies. Could Gig Performer, for example, have these 10 Rackspaces permanently loaded in the background, which I could then instantly access using a dedicated controller and ProgramChange? Even though my Predictive is set to 1.

I don’t deny that at all. You and your team have written some amazing software; you guys really know your stuff. I’m just a user and I’m only scratching the surface of what else is possible.

I think it’s important to remember that I control GP from an iPad. With 500+ songs, there’s no way that I can remember the lyrics to that number of songs. So, a 12.9” iPad Pro becomes the master controller providing every single midi command needed for GP to respond and do its work of producing music, including the lyrics and chords. OnSong is very good for this. So I get lyrics, chords and midi control using an iPad that is moved downwards using a blue tooth foot pedal. Once loaded with a set, the SP 9 is never looked at or touched at all. Although I do look back at it from 2 metres in front now and then to see if the title that I want is actually showing. BTW, you wont see any widgets on the GP screen as they are all hidden under the title. I set the titles font to 100 points and use various background colours. Because I don’t physically need to interact with GP, I can do this using the iPad only. Finally, how do i find a song I want quickly from a list of 550 song that could be 10 feet long if stretched out? Well, OnSong has a quick find feature whereby if you begin to type into a search bar at the top, titles will automatically appear showing what it thinks you want. Once clicked, the song appears in a couple of seconds and automatically tells GP to load the correct song using a PG# hidden in the song title. Very cool and very clever.

That’s exactly what I do too. I also use OnSong, but with an iPad Mini. Currently still on version 20, since version 24 crashed occasionally. I’ve installed version 26, but haven’t used it live yet. I also have all the lyrics and chords stored. I also use the quick search. However, OnSong isn’t as fast as I’d like: When you tap, the quick selection window appears. Only then does the keyboard appear. Only then can you type. It feels like it could be faster.

My computer is also right next to me and I only need to use it in emergencies.

As I mentioned above, a feature where I have a separate controller (in addition to OnSong) for quick access to songs that I can preview briefly between songs would be great. Maybe a second iPad?:grinning_face:

Man, You must have great eye sight using a Mini! I set my 12.9” versions font to 30, the highest it will go so I can see the lyrics without my glasses. It doesn’t show a full screen of text, but I jump it from chorus to verse etc using a BT foot pedal.

:grinning_face: I really should be wearing glasses. I don’t like the look of a big iPad on stage. Mine sits on top of the keyboard—the audience can hardly see it. That was important to me.

I’ve set up my iPad with a scroll function. Usually, at the beginning of a piece, when I play a certain note, the iPad starts scrolling automatically. It’s a bit tricky to set up so it scrolls at the right speed. If necessary, you can also scroll forward or backward a little on the screen.

You could use a 2nd instance of Gig Performer which reacts on a specific MIDI Channel.

That sounds good. I’ve read some forum posts about it now. Afterwards, it got more complicated again…because I don’t want to program and sync anything in OSC.

At first glance, it seems simpler for us users if a certain number of rackspaces can be selected and are always available, regardless of how much has been selected in Predictive Loading.

But I’ll take a look at the instances! Thanks!

The following post by @Frank1119 might be helpful.

you can sync instances automatically without scripting.
just enable osc and some other settings

maybe you think that would be simpler for users, but this will for sure not be simple for the developers.
yet simple is using multiple instances

FWIW, as I understand it, if you put plugins in the Global Rackspace, they are always active (even with Predictive Loading). So, maybe this is helpful.

That could indeed be a possibility. But I don’t want to burden the Global Rack with that. The songs I want to play with it don’t consist of just one plug-in.

That’s certainly the case. I’m keeping in mind the possibility of a second instance specifically for such cases.

I’ve just revived this thread.

@DaveBoulden

Couldn’t the song chooser take on the following function:

10 songs are in the Song chooser queue. Predictive loading in GP is set to 10, thus accessing the 10 songs in the queue. The songs in the queue are only for spontaneous performances. I switch the standard program after each song using OnSong, and GP loads that song, but always has the 10 songs in the queue immediately available.

Extensions have no ability to influence how the predictive loading works.