Reducing CPU % used

I wasn’t sure if I should post this to the Plugins instead but thought it was or could be a general one too. I noticed that when I add a certain amount of wiring with additional plugins, the CPU% goes up quite a lot, say from about 5% to 50%. Is this normal? I’d like to ask a few questions on this.

1. Is there a standard way to minimise the CPU% by wiring in an efficient way?
  2. Is it a possibility that my system may freeze or crash if CPU% reaches a certain amount?

I’m using some NeuralDSP guitar plugins and they seem to be quite heavy on the CPU%. I haven’t even added any vocal processing/wiring yet.

I’m using a MacBook Pro M1 with 1TB SSD & 16gb RAM.

Any thoughts on this is much appreciated - Thanks :slight_smile:

Are they up-to-date? I read somewhere that they are optimizing the underlying infrastructure of their plugins to be less resource hungry.

1 Like

Not the wiring…,.sounds like those Neural plugins are not very efficient.

2 Likes

Yesterday I got a mail:

The following plugins are now compatible with Apple Native Silicon:

Archetype: Nolly

Archetype: Abasi

Parallax

Archetype: Petrucci

Archetype: Tim Henson

Tone King Imperial MKII

Archetype: Rabea

Archetype: Tom Morello

Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ Suite

The remaining plugins are to be updated in the future.

I have no problems, I’m using a MacBook Pro M1 with 64gB RAM. CPU% goes up to 30% in a rackspace with 5 other Vsts.

2 Likes

It may be that, I have 3 plugins attached to this rackspace. May have to wait for the updates.

Yes, but they’ve not adjusted the Mesa Boogie one yet as I can see. It’s showing 18% in stanalone mode and 35% within GP4 so guess it’s dragging an extra 17% from somewhere.

Me too but I’ll have to check if that means I am using an old version

By clicking in the right top area “DEVELOPED BY NEURAL DSP” it shows the Apple Silicon version, so I guess this is as low as it will go.

Are you running 100% natively? I.e, are every one of your plugins running natively or are you using some AU plugins that are still Intel (and so would cause Rosetta to be brought into the mix)?

How did you get that percentage? The cpu usage shown in GP is the usage of the (single) audio-thread and is therefore different from the overall cpu usage shown in the os (in Windows that would be shown by using Taskmanager. I don’t know what the Mac variant is called).

On Mac it is the activity monitor

1 Like

The

NOTE: In GP4 I am only using the Mesa Boogie Plugin using 36% which varies upto 48% very strange.

That number is not too important. In reality you only care about the audio thread whose CPU utilization is displayed on the top right of the main window.

The activity monitor essentially shows all activity including all threads created by your plugins.

1 Like

Yes but you haven’t addressed the question as to whether you are running in mixed mode, or all native or all Rosetta.

1 Like

Yes it’s native showing Apple Silicon in one of the screen shots above. I also chose the AU version of the plugin.

I have just noticed that after removing the Black Hole aggregate on my audio interface back to just using the Focus 2i2 it has gone right down to 12

2023-06-09_23-02-00
%. That must have been the reason.

1 Like

An interesting discovery.

1 Like

What happens if you use the VST version?

Also, I’m still wondering if you are, perhaps inadvertently, still mixing native and Rosetta? I use blackhole all the time and I’ve never seen it have a significant impact

VST3, VST and AU are all the same at 12%.

Ok….I was being slightly devious….by running the VST version, I know the plugin was Apple Native because Apple only launches Rosetta for AUs that are Intel.

Are you sure the Blackhole driver is native?

1 Like