Rackspaces go 'dead' randomly

For sure.

-It WAS limited to just the one rackspace (plugins going silent) edit: in other words, if i went to another rackspace they were mostly still working)
-It was randomly bouncing around from one rackspace to another. (almost Wacka mole) Sometimes more than 1 rackspace.
-So glad I made a video, or I fear, no one would have believed!

Not a mystery at all. If one plugin halts its audio processing - it blocks the entire thing. It doesnā€™t get bypassed - it simply stops producing any audio or even worse - blocks the entire audio process.

Then, probably what it did. We are really at the mercy of these plugins :grimacing::cold_face: ā€¦

But this is the first example I think weā€™ve ever seen, itā€™s not a common issue.

Just want to say I am using Komplete Kontrol with Gig Performer for over a year and I have not run into this issue. 50 rackspaces in my gig setup.

1 Like

I agree, thatā€™s the most weird issue that I have seen on this community forum. Thatā€™s why it is a bit frustrating to me not to really understand.

And I have never heard of other users of KK being faced to this issue. I know at least another GP community member ( @LeeHarvey, if I remember well) who also uses KK without particular issue. Wellā€¦ crazy thing!

As I know @LeeHarvey uses just 1 huge rackspace

1 Like

Perhaps you are on Mac and thatā€™s makes a difference?

Yep maybe, I did. Not Face the issue.
I would Never use komplete kontrol weithin gp just to Launch Plugins which can directly be used.

Hmm, I wonder if this is an issue with an audio interface that only supports one ā€œclientā€ at a time?

Good point

The Steinberg ur22 is one of them and @schamass had some issues with it at a time. But @EricD has a different audio interface on his PC and laptopā€¦

1 Like

I havenā€™t read all the posts here, but I think I had a different problem with KK:

Since I also managed all my favorite sounds with KK, it was also hard for me to part with Komplete Kontrol. But I donā€™t regret my decision.

So I went through my user library in KK, and saved all my important sounds, with the respective plugin itself.

But I still wanted to have the advantages of being able to centrally manage my favorite sounds from all my plugins. I also wanted to be able to access them not only in Gig Performer, but also in Cubase, for example.

Thatā€™s why I switched from KK to ā€œUnifyā€, and used it to build my new library. The combination of GP with Unify offers even more advantages. I am very satisfied with it so far.

However, since Unify also often has problems with VST3 plugins, I always recommend using the VST2 version of the plugins there as well.

1 Like

wow!.. are you mac or pc? what is your audio interface?

my pc uses the Steinberg ur22, the laptop is using the XR18

Any recommendations for a solid Audio interface?
Wouldnā€™t mind one smaller than xr18 yet more than 2 inputs (4 to 8)

interesting, i hadnā€™t heard of one client at a time

On Windows, not all interfaces are ā€œmulti-clientā€ capable. For a long time Focusriteā€™s ASIO drivers were not multi-client, which meant you couldnā€™t run two audio apps at the same time. e.g., couldnā€™t run Ableton and Gig Performer together.

The symptom of that is usually audio glitches, rather than an audio freeze, but Iā€™m sure it depends on how the driver is written.

Focusrite finally got around to making their multiclient capable last year.

Same thing with midi interfaces. Some are multiclient ready, some are not. With the ones that are not, opening them in one application will generally block them in any others.

Sadly, Microsoftā€™s ā€œuniversalā€ midi driver is not multi-client capable, so most midi to USB converters will end up not being multi-client capable if you just plug them in and let windows do itā€™s thing.

My real life pain in the blank problem with this is with my Roland TD-25 (vdrums). Roland has a good multi-client driver, but sometimes windows chooses to install it and sometimes it chooses the ā€œuniversalā€ one. A couple years ago Windows did one of its auto-updates and for some reason decided to replace my Roland driver with the universal driver. At that time I usually ran my drums through GP and had backing tracks on Ableton. If Ableton got the TD-25 midi interface first, GP couldnā€™t get it, and Iā€™d get no drums. Took a while to figure out it was a multi-client issue, and once I did I was like, ā€œwtf, since when is the Roland driver not multi-client?ā€ Then it took a while to figure out Windows swapped drivers on me, and eventually had to get Roland to email me the correct driver because Windows just insisted on using the universal driver until I manually installed the right one.

The joys of Windows.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently testing the new MOTU ultra lite Mk5

1/2 size interface, 10 outs

I actually had a Ur22 Mk2 in use and it was a very nice interface at a first glance, but after all i must say that this device was the one which caused most trouble after some time (crackling, drop outsā€¦ real bad).
But i never could find a ā€œreal issueā€ to adress for this behaviourā€¦ it was quite errant. Most of the times it ran ok, but then again it started to go crazy.
I have had quite good experiences with the Behringer products, i also had the XR18 (but i only tested it once as an interface, which worked well so far) and i had an UMC404HD which gives an insane value for the priceā€¦ never had any issues with that, but it was too big to carry around and i seldomly was in need of the four inputs (and i wanted something better and something new :wink: ) so i went for the MOTU M4 which was really good too, but also a bit more expensive.
Thatā€™s an interface i would absolutely recommend to anybody who is searching for a solid device in the mid-price segment.
But some day i had an idea to build a ā€œsuitcase-PCā€, so i needed an even smaller interface, thatā€™s how i got my Focusrite Scarlett Solo which i am currently using. Canā€™t say anything negative about it yetā€¦ rock solid drivers, nice design, good sound (as far i can tell)ā€¦ i think there are a lot of people who are quite satisfied with Focusrite interfaces, so i guess these would be a recommendation too.

1 Like

PC Windows 10 with Focusrite 2i2 third generation.

1 Like

Howā€™s the output (DA) latency on the solo (gen 3?) at normal stage sample rates (44.1/48) and buffers (64-128)? Focusrite claims ridiculously low, but at 192ish kHz.

I use normal, stable sample rates and buffers on stage, and struggle to find documentation for their gen3 products.

Donā€™t really need a measurement of RTL since Iā€™m not plugging anything in for AD regularly. Iā€™ve found RTL measurements quotes around 12ms.

I suppose the 2i2 has similar latencies?