Program Changes to plugins

Hello!
I´m planning to buy GP to be used in mainly as a host to access hundreds of preset in a split of a second.
What i know i can send program changes to change Rackspaces. That´s great BUT is there a way to send PC messages straight to VST?
I know that the usual answer is to use dedicated instance for every patch, but those people doesn´t understand that i cannot have that many instances from lets say Zebra. CPU and memory are not the problem but the trouble of installing all the instances!!!

Already i´ve found one tricky way: To use “keyboard to program” VST plugin. (MidiKeySwitcher) but that´s an old plug-in and not supported anymore.

regards,
Jari K, Helsinki

There are several ways to accomplish this (and also alternatives)

1. As documented in the user manual, you can enable the “Pass unused PC messages” option which means that any incoming PC messages that are not associated with a rackspace (actually variation in a rackspace) will be passed through into MIDI In blocks and so to any plugins to which they’re connected.

2. You can map a widget to the PC parameter in a MIDI In block and send a program change to a connected plugin that way

3. You can create a scriptlet plugin and connect that to a synth plugin and send PC messages to it

4. You can create a GPScript and use the LoadGPPreset functions to load new presets into a synth plugin

Note however that

• many plugins don’t support the program change message at all and
  • changing presets isn’t going to be instantaneous

I don’t have Zebra (but I have a bunch of other soft synths and sample players etc.)

I am not aware of having an issue about installing too many “instances” of a synth if you use them in different rackspaces within GP.

Have you run into issue using Zebra (with different “sounds” selected) in multiple rackspaces? I would not think you would have an issue. (Caveat, others know more than me).

Zebra (from what I understand) is a true soft synth (not a rompler). So, the beauty is if you are specifically not using a rackspace with one of the “instances” (not sure if that’s the right word) it should not use CPU (and since it is not a rompler, ram should not be much of an issue).

Jeff

[PS I am sorry, I am probably missing something here. Feel free to delete this.]

Also check out this scriptlet: [Gig] Program Change Sender with PC learn function

And this blog article: https://gigperformer.com/rackspaces-vs-program-changes/

I don´t know how i missed the “Pass unused…” I´ve red the manual many times. Maybe i didn´t understand what that means. Well, suddenly i have several solutions for a problem that i thought would be the point NOT to go with GP!

But what i know from googling there are many others thinking about the exact same point. Now i can help them!

regards, Jari

1 Like

Don’t worry, you’re at the right place :slight_smile:

And here are lots of ex-Forte users that can help you with the seamless diving into the Gig Performer world.

1 Like

Ah - didn’t realize you were an ex-Forte user.

The critical thing to understand here: don’t try to use Gig Performer as if it was Forte!

The principles and paradigm are completely different.

Also see this article written by an ex-Forte user for other ex-Forte users coming to Gig Performer

2 Likes