Primarily want to use as a Mixer with routing capabilities

I want to use this primarily as a mixer with routing capabilities to sent Auxilary sends to a looper then back to mixer then to FOH…maybe a monitor send as well. Use UAD audio plugin effects on strips. Have an Apollo UAD quad.

Am I barking up the right tree? Have scoured tutorials to set this up and after hours have not discovered any.

Insights?

That is possible, but keep in mind latency.
What audio interface are you using, which buffer settings?

I am using USD Apollo Quad. No latency issues using it on its own. I just need more routing capabilities.

Keep in mind that you route Audio into GP, mix/route it in GP and send Audio out.

So for my understanding: Gig Performer should act like a Mixer with inbuilt effects?

1 Like

In GP you can route any combination of the audio inputs through any number of plugins and mixers and send any combination of anything to any output.

That said, I’m not sure I understand exactly what you want to do. You mention Aux sends, a looper, FOH, and a monitor. As long as you have enough inputs and outputs on your Apollo you should be fine.

@Axel This seems similar to a recent topic on using GP as a router using mixing blocks. This is tip #9 in the Hacks &Tips list, also linked below. If you follow the tip back to the original topic and posts it has a good discussion on the reasoning. This seems the same but the author actually wanting to use the mixers as well, and I suspect there would be a minimal hit on latency with GPS native tools .

Hacks compilation - #43 by CruiseCycle

Thanks, allow me to elaborate.

Here’s what I’m struggling to do. I want to use Console on my Apollo quad as a live mixer, have been but with some glitches.

I’ve already contacted UAD support and they basically they said cannot be done and to instead use a DAW like Ableton. First, Here’s my scenario:

I’m a solo gig act. I run vocals Ch 1, two Guitars on separate analogue strips, a GR55 (Gtr Synth) (on 4), Aeros Looper (5), Beat Buddy (2), and DJ Console (8)for backing tracks, Analogue 7 Free. I am using Cue 2 to send a signal to FOH.

Issue 1: I am sending Vocals, Guitars, Gr55 to looper via Cue 1. Their corresponding strips have plugin effects EQ etc. However, the signals are being duplicated via the looper strip (that is if I mute the instrument channel, I still hear it on the looper channel. If I mute the looper channel I hear the instrument on it’s own channel). In summary, they can be heard through the looper strip as well as their own. I solved this by muting the Instrument strips and summing the signal through the looper strip. The effects on the instrument strips are heard through the looper channel.

Issue 2: Cue 2 has been my FOH send. I route Cue 2 to outputs 7 and 8 (via cue outputs) and then out to FOH. Somehow if i use inserts boxes (4 of them) located above Aux 2 fader, the effects are applied to CUE 2, even if Aux 2 fader is at infinity (off). ?!!?

Is there a better way to be running this set up? Have had some great FB from Audiences and have sold for you 2 Apollo Quads. :slight_smile:

DAWs seems overkill and Not Stage friendly. Looked at the app. Gig Performer, as a routing organizer, but there may be latency delay and I may not be able to use my UAD plugin effects.

Appreciate your suggestions from tweaks to improvements, to overhaul :slight_smile:

They probably mean that the audio interface doesn’t have built in mixing/routing capabilities.

However, if they suggest using a DAW, then certainly GP will work. The latency should not be an issue.

DAW would be overkill, not stage friendly, and not really designed to do what you want to do. GP is much more suited to what you want.

I’m still not really sure how to offer guidance on your questions because I don’t know exactly which product “Apollo Quad” refers to. For current Apollo interfaces I know of the Solo, Twin, x4, x6, and x8. But there are a lot of prior gen Apollo’s out there as well.

The Cue 1 and Cue 2 stuff you’re talking about sounds like mixes on some Apollo internal mixer. I don’t know anything about internal mixing on Apollos. I know how it works in RME interfaces, some of the Presonus and Motu interfaces, but I’ve never touched an Apollo.

If UAD is telling you it has to be done (and can be done) through a DAW then GP will almost certainly do it.

If you already have GP installed then getting your basic routing set up in GP should be quite easy. If you don’t have GP installed, download the trial version and test it out.

Once you have it running, when you go to the wiring view you’ll have all your individual audio inputs at the top and all the outputs at the bottom. You put whatever mixers, plugins, and whatever else you want in between the two and route whatever you want wherever you want. If you can draw the routing that you want on paper, you can do it in GP.

The only thing I can picture maybe being difficult is getting the UAD effects that are running inside the Apollo in the places you want them. If you can’t get them set the way you want in the Apollo you can run equivalents as VST/AAX plugins in GP.

I have a hard time seeing latency being an issue, but it would be helpful to know what kind of computer you’re using.

1 Like

i would say, GP allows for quasi anything anybody could ever want to do in regards to mixing and routing and switching things around on the fly. (within reasonable numbers vs. channel count :wink: )

Point is, you have to understand the audio path, and how to chain modules accordingly, that the necessary switching will work the way you want.
GP is NOT track based. So primarily, you have to create the whole audio path yourself.
By default, there is nothing there. :wink: you have to create it.

The routing might look then different than if you would work with a digitale console or so, respectivly how we are used to think vs. real live, dealing with real cables.

Think of this:
in real world, dealing with a patchbay, we would take a cable out of one jack, and patch it in into another = routing A or routing B, you allways have just one cable present.
In GP, you can´t pull a cable. :wink:

doing same in GP, both cables would allways be present,
but you would just shut down a volume fader on one channel, and open the volume fader on the other.

so visually, you would have allwass ALL desired routing options (cables) present at the same time in GP.
What you do is just: take volumes down here, and open it up there.
I think, if you grasp this, you have it :wink:

For whatever you want to do in regards to switching (complex) routings in GP,
key is here -from my persepctive- to understand what the widgets are,
what they do, and how you can control many functions at once with them.
Rule of thumb is: one widget will allways control just one function at once.
But one HW control can control many widgets at once

i did not understand your exact routing desires…so,…
But it would be strange if you can´t achive exactly what you want.

rerouting 4 stereo audio channels with the flicker of one poti,
would just incorporate that you use several widgets.

simple example:
open Send A, and at the same time return A,
while shutting down send B, and also shutting down return B,
would be a very simple thing to do.
You could go way more complex than this.
you could even incorporate to bypass plugins while switching the Send-return routing for example. ( i do such things in slighlty different contexts)

i repeat:
key is to understand what the widgets are, and how we work with them,
and that you can´t pull cables as such.
the rerouting happens —> based on controlling the audio levels (open here-close there)

1 Like

this !